Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throwng up at night

I wanted to know if other people had this problem. I am able to eat fine during the day and all the food goes down ok. Then when I lay down for bed...mind you this could be even hours after I ate my last meal. I feel like like my food is coming back up my throught. I can fall asleep and then sometimes...come 3 or 4 in the morning I wake up coughing like crazy and so hard I have to run to the bathroom and some of my digested food come out. its so weird. This will happen maybe 2-3 times a week and then it wont happen for a while and then it comes back. Sometimes its just flem'ish looking stuff and sometimes its fully digested food. After I do it, I stop coughing and I go back to sleep.

I guess its just a problem when I lay down flat is when I feel like the food is going to come up. But it doesnt happen all the time.

I just want to know if anyone else expirience this same thing.

Thanks

BTW. I was banded August of 2004. I have lots 109 pounds so far and currently stuck at the same weight but would like to loose 30-40 more.

I've had a few bouts of acid reflux (pre-banding) and that sounds very much like what I went through.

In my case I think certain foods, and eating too much too close to bedtime caused my problems. It did help me to prop a few extra pillows under me so that I slept with my head inclined.

I'd bolt upright in bed with a feeling that I'd just caught myself throwing up, and doing anything to clear my throat, cough, whatever would bring the taste up. I started keeping some strong mints on my nightstand so if it happened I could just start sucking on one - seemed to help. It didn't happen very frequently at all, MAYBE every 5 or 6 weeks, but since banding it hasn't happened once.

You are experiencing reflux. Please see your band doctor ASAP, or a gastrointerologist. Reflux can damage your band (most slips are preceeded by reflux) and can even lead to aspiration pneumonia, lung abscesses, etc. This is not something to be taken lightly.

Sounds like acid reflux to me too. Rather than propping yourself up with pillows, try putting a 2 X 4 - or even two of them - under the legs at the head of your bed. Pillows cause you to bend at the waist area and can increase reflux. If you're a side sleeper, your left side is better than your right. The stomach is a little to the left so when you lie on your left side the stomach is lower and gravity works in your favor. I learned that one online - AOL Health - so take the information for what it's worth. lol

I agree with Carlene - you need to talk to your doctor about this - don't wait. I don't think it's an emergency or anything but sooner is much better than later.

Musis, you are having reflux. If this is the first time you're having it, you may be able to manage it with behavioral changes. Propping up the bed is a good idea, and not eating OR DRINKING for several hours before bed should also help.

It's odd that it happens some nights and not others. Can you figure out what the determining factor is? Are you having an allergy attack those nights, for example? Any specific foods that set you off?

If it doesn't seem to be getting better, or is getting worse, DEFINITELY call your doctor. It may be that you've irritated your esophagus or stoma, and this won't get better without treatment. You should stay on liquids for a while, really baby yourself, and perhaps get Prevacid or some other med to help things settle down. And of course, a small unfill can help.

Don't panic, but DON'T ignore your symptoms. They mean that your food is not going all the way down, and that your relaxed muscles while sleeping allow what's still in the pouch to reflux back up. It's not necessarily a slip, but that is indeed one possibility. Find out why it's happening and you should be just fine. Good luck!!

I had this but could eat all day long and thought I needed a fill but ended up with slippage. You need to go see your doctor. Good luck!!

*waves* Hi, y'all. Long time no see :)

Let me share my current experience with this.

On Tuesday, I got a fill - from 1.75 to 2.5. I felt immediate restriction - all good - happy happy. Tuesday night I had Soup for dinner, slept like a baby.

Wednesday, I had my Protein bar for Breakfast (not my brightest moment), yogurt for lunch and instant potatoes for dinner. I was still a little hungry after dinner, so I had a graham cracker, and my Water. I was up off and on Wednesday night with horrible reflux. Thursday, I had a Protein shake for Breakfast, yogurt for lunch and really really runny instant potatoes for dinner. Had my Water. Had a snackwell's chocolate cookie (ugh). Up most of the night with reflux. Still have it this morning.

Now, I came to the board to read a bit because I'm thinking - this is too tight, not good. Then I realized...my period is due tomorrow. And when I have good restriction, I am always tighter a few days before and a few days into my cycle. And it's not just my stomach, I can feel it all over in my midsection, which says to me - you're bloated, Jill, get over it~

So I'm not panicing (thank you), but I am back on straight liquids, and I'll go get some Prilosec before I go home tonight.

If this hasn't cleared up by mid week, I'll go get a partial unfill. Til then, I'm babying the band.

Jill S. that was pretty big fill you got. So maybe between the fill and the period your just tight right now. LIQUIDS LiQUIDS....bec if you start getting sick and stuff your stomach will swell more. So take it easy for a few days and see if it goes down after that on its own. Good luck!

Reading your post was like reading one I would have written myself!!! I thought I was the ONLY person living in this coughing hell!!! It's EXACTLY the way you say! I wake up so tired from coughing all night that it's tough to stay awake at work!

I DO have GERD; but thought that this would have stopped once I had my gallbladder out last October; but it's even worse!! I wake up with a sore throat too. I've tried not eating anything in the evening after dinner but it doesn't matter at all...it still happens! It's like a coughing spasm!!! Once you start you can't stop!

Anyone ask their doc about this? It really concerns me because I have heard so much about esophagitis and esophageal cancer and all. I sometimes think the acid has burned my tongue so much I will lose my sense of taste.

I had my surgery a month after yours....and I have been able to have no more 1.25cc fill. When I had 1.5 everything got stuck!!! To the point of needing a scope!

What's up with this???? I am also at a standstill after losing 83 pounds....but I consider myself lucky because I have not GAINED it back!!! I still have another 60-80 pounds to lose but cannot budge!

Any ideas on this?

Nancy

I wanted to know if other people had this problem. I am able to eat fine during the day and all the food goes down ok. Then when I lay down for bed...mind you this could be even hours after I ate my last meal. I feel like like my food is coming back up my throught. I can fall asleep and then sometimes...come 3 or 4 in the morning I wake up coughing like crazy and so hard I have to run to the bathroom and some of my digested food come out. its so weird. This will happen maybe 2-3 times a week and then it wont happen for a while and then it comes back. Sometimes its just flem'ish looking stuff and sometimes its fully digested food. After I do it, I stop coughing and I go back to sleep.

I guess its just a problem when I lay down flat is when I feel like the food is going to come up. But it doesnt happen all the time.

I just want to know if anyone else expirience this same thing.

Thanks

BTW. I was banded August of 2004. I have lots 109 pounds so far and currently stuck at the same weight but would like to loose 30-40 more.

Acid reflux is bad for the band and for your health in general. There is a good chance you are aspirating stuff during your sleep and the cough is your body's reflex mechanism, trying to clear your lungs of foreign matter.

You should consult your doctor about this.

I'm also worried about the GERD and the esphogeal cancer. I had GERD prior to banding and it never went away.

I say RUN, don't walkto get an endoscopy. I just had one today and I now have Barretts Esophagus which can lead to cancer. I have been miserable coughing and heavy spitting up in my sleep. I am now on 3 new mids. My stomach was not empting right either so I am on a new med for this. I am miserable and want this band removed. I never had problems with reflux and I blame all my health problems on this band. It's just not worth it to maybe get cancer or any serious health problem just to be thin.

Everyone....THIS IS YOUR WARNING...it could happen to you too!

End results for me:

2 nights of the acid reflux, coughing - then it stopped. Was still very tight, pretty much only tolerating liquids until noon yesterday - when my period finally started :) Now, I'm still tight from the fill, but no longer uncomfortable and sleeping like a baby~

Patience is the key. Patience, and babying the band!

I have had to deal with those problems for weeks at a time. No sleep. I lost patients a long time ago. I am starting to hear more and more problems with bands even though there are LOTS of great success stories. I just hate it has to happen to any one. Its so unfair.

Phyllis are you having yours removed?