Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet loss...

Wow, congrats!!

I am still struggling with my pre-op diet. I havent even weighed myself since i was approved because I dont want to see if I have had a gain, but I know I need to get over that really quick. My surgery is Dec 27 so Im planning on going on a low carb diet a month before, then probably a liquid diet or a 1 meal a day diet a week or so before. I read on a different thread somewhere that one technique to help manage pre-op weight is to make small goals, a new one each week. This last week I made it a goal to document everything I ate, and I was able to see how foods really add up over a day. I did notice a change in the amount that I have been eating, it has been less, and I am becoming more aware of my habits of eating just to eat, not because Im hungry. This next week I am cutting out ALL sweets, even though we have so much candy floating around the house from trick or treating :wacko:All in all, my goal is to lose 15 or so pounds before surgery. I know this isnt too hard to do, considering I have just under 2 months to go, but I need to get on it!!

Good luck with your surgery :)

So I have been on the pre-op liquid Protein diet since Wed. I have lost TEN lbs so far! I am stunned. I have surgery scheduled on the 9th.

How much have you all lost on the pre-op diet?

Wow! That's amazing. I'm starting liquids this week and I'm a little nervous about how I'm going to handle it.

tiffnie - I know low carb can be hard. There are some great recipes out there to help though. Try some lowcarb forums like http://forum.lowcarber.org/. They have a whole section on recipes. I got a Thai chicken salad from there years ago and it was and still is a staple in our home. I have to agree that baby steps are good. =)

cielle - it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. The hardest part is that after I found out I was approved I called to schedule. Well, they happened to have an opening on the 9th or the week of Thanksgiving. So, I took the 9th. That meant I had to start the liquid diet the NEXT day. I really wanted to go out with hubby for a "last meal" so to speak....but things were just too busy. (think 6 kids and activities, etc) I just keep telling myself that it is ok and I WILL be able to eat again....just not yet. Maybe Christmas?? :) Good Luck. If you have not tried Protein Shakes, try several and be prepared. I have liked unjury best.

great job on your loss...:-)

I lost 37 lbs on the kaiser pre-op diet, high protien low carb, about 1200 calories. From begining of May till my surgery on June 22nd

I felt very lucky..