Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here is my story....

Hi all!

This is my story. On Dec 20, 2006 I had the Lap Band put in by a local doctor. I kept going for fills, which would start hurting late at night and would have to go get unfills. Then I would have no restriction. To make a long story short, I had the band for 3 years and 10 months and only lost 32 lbs. I kept asking my doctor if this was normal and he said yes. Then last June, I received a letter from him stating that he was moving and not doing WLS any longer and to find another Dr. I felt alone and abandoned. I had no clue who to call. So I called a few who wanted way too much money to adopt me as a patient. I am Self pay. Then one day my daughter and I were driving by the Mall when I saw a giant billboard advertising a doctor in a town about 150 miles away. I called when I got home, they were very nice and answered all my questions. Also, charged a reasonable price to adopt me and do my fills.

I made an appt and went in for a fill. They do all their fill under fluro and I was happy about that. Then they discovered my band had a leak and caused possible erosion. That's why I had only lost 32 lbs.

Doctor said the band had to come out. I was so upset and mad about what happened to me. How could my surgeon not know, after all the fills I had. Was that why he left?

I ask if a revision could be done at the same time and my new Dr. said he didn't think so but he would try.

I went in for surgery on Oct 13th. Had the band removed and a revision to VGS. I have lost almost 20 lbs since the surgery. It was very painful but I am glad he was able to do it. I am on a pureed diet for another week in a half then to a soft diet for 2 weeks......then to a regular diet. So far the pureed diet hurts a little after i swallow. I can only eat a few spoonfuls. When it starts to hurt I quit eating. I am taking calicum, B Vitamins, multi Vitamin and Dhea. I tried to get in all of my Protein per day and I am walking up to a mile a day on the treadmill.

Only thing, I get weak easy. I am hoping that goes away in time.

I thank God every day I found this clinic and the Dr. who found my problem and fixed it.

Wow it seems there are several people that have had problems with the band. Too bad you had to wait 3 years to find out that there was a leak in the band. I doubt your doctor who left knew there was a problem but you were ment to meet the new doctor and find a positive out come. Keep us updated on your progress.

Lily

Wow it seems there are several people that have had problems with the band. Too bad you had to wait 3 years to find out that there was a leak in the band. I doubt your doctor who left knew there was a problem but you were ment to meet the new doctor and find a positive out come. Keep us updated on your progress.

Lily

Thank you for responding Lily. I forgot to mention that I was 63 yrs old and this has been really hard on me. But things are looking up and I am getting over the surgery and losing weight, and that is what I wanted. I have a wonderful Dr. now with a great support staff. So my story has a happy ending.

And yes, I will post updates every now and then.

Thanks,

Jeri

Hello tryin and welcome to VST!! We are very glad you could join us. :)

I'm also a revision from band to sleeve. I was sleeved on 9/15/10 and it was also an all in one. However I did not have the complications you had with your band. You're very lucky you were able to have this done. I wish you a speedy recovery! Please be on your P's and Q's knowing you had a tricky revision.

...and ROCK THAT SLEEVE!!!! :)

I am so sorry for all the pain and trouble you have had. I know as self-pay it is hard, but I would say that good advice for ANYONE is if you think something isn't working, then get a second opinion. I'm SO glad you did and glad you were able to find a surgeon who could take out the band and revise to the VSG. I started my WL journey planning on getting a band, and I am forever grateful for people who willingly shared their stories about the troubles they have had with the band, as I am now the proud owner of a sleeve.

Best wishes on your continued journey and keep coming here for support!

Hello tryin and welcome to VST!! We are very glad you could join us. :)

I'm also a revision from band to sleeve. I was sleeved on 9/15/10 and it was also an all in one. However I did not have the complications you had with your band. You're very lucky you were able to have this done. I wish you a speedy recovery! Please be on your P's and Q's knowing you had a tricky revision.

...and ROCK THAT SLEEVE!!!! :)

Thank you for responding to my post! And you are right about a "tricky revision". I am following my Doctor's orders right down the line.

I forgot to mention that my band had also came unbuckled sometime during the almost 4 years I had it. I really feel like my Band Doctor should have found my problems. After all I was getting fill after fill with no restriction after only a few days. One time he put in 9cc under fluroscope.....he had to have seen it or was just plain ignoring my problem. He actually did me a favor by quitting and moving away. Or I would have never known what was going on with my band. I have a great Doctor now, who cares about me, fixed my problem, and that is what counts.

Thanks again rolleyes.gif

Tryin

Thank you for responding to my post! And you are right about a "tricky revision". I am following my Doctor's orders right down the line.

I forgot to mention that my band had also came unbuckled sometime during the almost 4 years I had it. I really feel like my Band Doctor should have found my problems. After all I was getting fill after fill with no restriction after only a few days. One time he put in 9cc under fluroscope.....he had to have seen it or was just plain ignoring my problem. He actually did me a favor by quitting and moving away. Or I would have never known what was going on with my band. I have a great Doctor now, who cares about me, fixed my problem, and that is what counts.

Thanks again rolleyes.gif

Tryin

Tryin, I'm not trying to stir up any controversy with your situation - but this sounds like plain malpractice. I don't know all the circumstances, but it just seems to me your Surgeon was sweeping all your issues under the rug. :-( Anyhow, I'm very glad things have turned around for you! You will love your new sleeve. :D

Irene....

There is lots more to my story. Like last year after a fill I couldn't breathe, so I went to walk in clinic and they called 911 and an ambulance took me to the ER. I told them what happened, they called my band surgeon and he had me moved to another hospital so he could treat me. My oxyegin levels dropped below 80. He ran all kinds of tests and even had his friend do an EGD on me. I kept asking him, what happened to me? He said probably a PE. And sent me home. I think that is when my band unbuckled and he knew it. Any way he quit a few months later, I only got a letter saying to find another Doctor. After I found out how messed up my band was and how much it was gonna cost (i'm self pay) to remove it, I was really bitter. My husband and I called several lawyers and tried to sue him. But unfortunitly, the statue of limitations in Texas for surgery is 2 years and I had surpassed that. So I contacted Allergan, the maker of my lap band. They were great and very understanding. They wanted the band after it was removed, so my Doctor sent it to them. I haven't heard anything back.

I was so hurt and bitter, I had paid this man a fortune and put my trust in him.

I prayed and prayed about it, and decided that the good Lord led me in the right direction to a wonderful clinic and wonderful Doctor that saved me......and I shouldn't harbor these ill feelings. So, I am at peace with it and looking to the future of being a healthier person, what I wanted all along.

thanks for responding,

I am so sorry for all the pain and trouble you have had. I know as self-pay it is hard, but I would say that good advice for ANYONE is if you think something isn't working, then get a second opinion. I'm SO glad you did and glad you were able to find a surgeon who could take out the band and revise to the VSG. I started my WL journey planning on getting a band, and I am forever grateful for people who willingly shared their stories about the troubles they have had with the band, as I am now the proud owner of a sleeve.

Best wishes on your continued journey and keep coming here for support!

thank you Mommy2, I am so glad I found this site!!

I wish you the best of luck from here on out :)

Thank you so much!! I am sure I am on my way now!

Hi there and welcome!

I am having revision probably mid-December. I have had all sorts of problems with my band. First, it had a leak, then it slipped, and finally the tubing completely came detached from the band and is floating around in my stomach. I was self pay for my band and it is so frustrating to put all that money into something that fails you and then causes you health issues, as well. I am so fortunate that my insurance no longer has an exclusion and that I was able to find a revision doctor. I hope you continue to do well with your recovery. We are so glad you joined the forum!

Thank you Becca! Sounds like you had problems too. I am so sorry. But things will brighten for you soon as you have your revision. Good luck and know I will be thinking of you.

Hi I am glad you got your revision in the end. Sounds like it was an expensive nightmare though. How are you recovering now?

I noticed you are take Dhea, is it any good?

Jane x