Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DRY SKIN BRUSHING

Pre WLS but I thought I would share this with all of you because it's known to help skin elasticity and it releases toxins and I'm sure that losing weight dumps a TON of toxins into your body. Fat cells are where most toxins are stored.

I don't know if it will be safe right after surgery but I'm sure that it would be extremely beneficial after healing.

Did a quick Google search just to see how much is out there on this topic and this was listed the first page:

Benefits of Dry Skin Brushing:

1. Removes cellulite

2. Cleanses the lymphatic system

3. Removes dead skin layers

4. Strengthens the immune system

5. Stimulates the hormone and oil-producing glands

6. Tightens the skin preventing premature aging

7. Tones the muscles

8. Stimulates circulation

9. Improves the function of the nervous system

10. Helps digestion

11. AND it’s easy, inexpensive and invigorating!

Dry Skin Brushing

The skin plays a vital role in ridding the body of toxins and impurities. Dry skin brushing is one of the best techniques to open up the pores of the skin, and to stimulate and detoxify the lymphatic system.The skin is the largest organ in the body, and is responsible for one-fourth of the body's detoxification each day. It also makes it one of the most important elimination organs! For this reason the skin is also known as the "3rd" kidney, with the lungs being known as the 2nd kidney.Our circulatory system has its own pump (our heart) to move blood through our bodies but our lymphatic system does not. It primarily relies on our movement to assist it. Typically, the more active we are physically the better condition our lymphatics will be.Skin brushing helps move lymph Fluid and gives us a jump-start on health. When the pores are not clogged with dead cells and the lymphatic system is cleansed, the body is able to carry out its important function of eliminating toxins and waste material. Under normal circumstances the skin eliminates more than one pound of waste products every day. If the skin becomes inactive with its pores clogged with millions of dead cells and other debris, toxins will remain in the body. This puts undue stress on the other eliminative organs, mainly the kidneys and liver, making them increase their activity. Eventually they become overworked.Skin brushing helps exfoliate and invigorate our skin too. It increases our blood supply to the area bringing with it nourishment and oxygen. Dry skin brushing will not only help increase circulation and elimination of toxins, but will also make a huge difference to the quality of your skin and it will look and feel healthier.Dry skin brushing improves the surface circulation of the skin and keep the pores of the skin open, encouraging your body to discharge metabolic wastes. Dry skin-brushing - dry meaning not in the bath - will change the health of your whole body by helping it get rid of toxins.

Benefits of dry skin brushingstimulates the lymphatic systemcleans toxins from the lymphatic systemhelps digestionstimulates circulationincreases cell renewalstrengthens the immune systemtightens the skinremoves dead skin layers and other debris collected in its pores

Use the right kind of brush

The brush used should be a long-handled, bath-type brush. It is essential that it contain natural bristles and not synthetic ones. Synthetic bristles will scratch the surface of the skin and are harsh and irritating. The brush should be kept dry and not used for bathing.For hygienic reasons it is wise to have a separate brush for each member of the family.Thoroughly wash the brush with soap and Water every couple of weeks. Always allow the brush to dry out when not in use.

How to do skin brushing

The body should be dry, and the brush should pass once over every part of the body except the face.The best time to do skin brushing is before showering or bathing at least once a day, and twice, if possible.Do not wet the skin since it will not have the same effect because this stretches the skin. The skin should not become red. If it does, you are probably brushing too hard.There should be no back and forth motion, circular motion, scrubbing, or massaging - one clean sweep does it. Use long gentle, but firm, stokes.The direction of the brushing should generally be towards the lower abdomen.

To brush the skin, use long gentle, but firm, strokes

Start at the feet and legs brushing upwards to your groin.Then do your hands and go up your arms to the armpits.Then brush upwards on your buttocks.Brush down the neck, chest and trunk.Brush your lower abdomen towards the center.It is permissible to brush across the top of the shoulders and upper back as the best contact with the skin is made that way.Don't brush your face.Brush the breasts very lightly avoiding the nipples.

Additional information

If you haven’t done skin brushing before it is wise to start with only one pass over the skin’s surface. Over time you can gradually increase the number of strokes done during each skin brushing session. The reason is that too much stimulation can be too hard on the body. And always use long gentle, but firm, strokes. Remember that your skin should not turn red, which means the pressure on your strokes is too heavy. The idea is to stimulate and not to irritate the skin.Many people may find large amounts of lymph mucoid in their stools a day or two after beginning skin brushing. This is the emptying out of the backlog of mucoid from the lymphatic system and is the effect of detoxifying the lymph system.

Let me preface this by saying that I am a skeptic by nature and with several years of healthcare education under my belt, my first reaction was "this sounds absurd." After Googling this and finding the source, I question this even more than I did it when I first saw it, as the author of this lacks any sort of medical qualifications. Having read that absurd book about yeast which assumes that the yeast to make bread is the same yeast that colonizes your vagina doesn't count as medical qualifications in my book. 2 things move lymph in your body: your skeletal muscles (primarily legs) and your diaphragm (every breath results in lymph being pumped). The lymphatic system is pretty deep under the skin, so it's not something you can affect by brushing the surface of your skin. It will improve blood circulation in the skin and help soften the skin by removing dead cells, but that's about it. If you want your lymph to be pumped faster, try walking. Don't waste your time on this brushing scam.

Let me preface this by saying that I am a skeptic by nature and with several years of healthcare education under my belt, my first reaction was "this sounds absurd." After Googling this and finding the source, I question this even more than I did it when I first saw it, as the author of this lacks any sort of medical qualifications. Having read that absurd book about yeast which assumes that the yeast to make bread is the same yeast that colonizes your vagina doesn't count as medical qualifications in my book. 2 things move lymph in your body: your skeletal muscles (primarily legs) and your diaphragm (every breath results in lymph being pumped). The lymphatic system is pretty deep under the skin, so it's not something you can affect by brushing the surface of your skin. It will improve blood circulation in the skin and help soften the skin by removing dead cells, but that's about it. If you want your lymph to be pumped faster, try walking. Don't waste your time on this brushing scam.

OMG - am I going to be accused of selling natural bristle brushes?

I don't know what 'author' you stumbled across but there is info all over the web about dry skin brushing. I first learned about it on a cancer survivors site. Again, it's all over the internet and it's not a big secret. Many people practice it. How can this possibly be a SCAM? Are you kidding? Why would anyone bother? That doesn't make any sense at all. Who is trying to scam who? The brush makers?

And even if you're right about the lymph system being too deep for skin brushing to affect and all the practioners who recommend it and all the people who practice it are wrong - I think that most people on this site would be most interested in what it can do for the skin.

I'm also a bit of skeptic but if any part of these benefits are true then it's worth it. It's worth the 3 minutes before each shower and it's worth the $3.99 for a long handled natural bristle brush.

After Googling this and finding the source, I question this even more than I did it when I first saw it, as the author of this lacks any sort of medical qualifications. Having read that absurd book about yeast which assumes that the yeast to make bread is the same yeast that colonizes your vagina doesn't count as medical qualifications in my book.

Candidosis? I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone who thinks that you can make a loaf of bread with Candida overgrowth but then again, yeast is yeast. It's a fungal overgrowth and it can range from a superficial vaginal problem to a life threatening condition. I'm really not that interested in knowing if I can make bread with it but Candida overgrowth in the gut is no joke. It's likely caused by years of poor diet and I wouldn't be one bit surprised if most of us on this site have it to some degree. Most of us live(d) on sugar and processed foods. Most people with this condition have a ton of health problems and the doctors can't find anything wrong. They go undiagnosed for years and then many learn about Candida on the internet and learn to follow a strict diet and take supplements and cure themselves. I know someone who had it and struggled for two years with the diet and is now a happy and healthy person after over a decade of being sick. I'm not at all surprised that an article about Candidosis would mention dry skin brushing. And the Candida diet is very similar to Atkins or the WLS diets but pure and natural - no chemical additives, all organic, low carb, no sugar, etc...

I had this dry brushing done at a spa once, and it was nice. I wish I would do it on myself at home, but just get too lazy or involved in the regular routines of life.

I had this dry brushing done at a spa once, and it was nice. I wish I would do it on myself at home, but just get too lazy or involved in the regular routines of life.

I know, I'm pretty lazy too (especially in the morning). I haven't done the brushing in a while but I'm starting (tomorrow - hahaha) because of this surgery. I'm going to hang the brush right outside my shower so I always see it before getting in. I always think about the brushing after I'm already in the shower and it's too late at that point.

Pre WLS but I thought I would share this with all of you because it's known to help skin elasticity and it releases toxins and I'm sure that losing weight dumps a TON of toxins into your body. Fat cells are where most toxins are stored.

I don't know if it will be safe right after surgery but I'm sure that it would be extremely beneficial after healing.

Did a quick Google search just to see how much is out there on this topic and this was listed the first page:

Benefits of Dry Skin Brushing:

1. Removes cellulite

2. Cleanses the lymphatic system

3. Removes dead skin layers

4. Strengthens the immune system

5. Stimulates the hormone and oil-producing glands

6. Tightens the skin preventing premature aging

7. Tones the muscles

8. Stimulates circulation

9. Improves the function of the nervous system

10. Helps digestion

11. AND it’s easy, inexpensive and invigorating!

Dry Skin Brushing

The skin plays a vital role in ridding the body of toxins and impurities. Dry skin brushing is one of the best techniques to open up the pores of the skin, and to stimulate and detoxify the lymphatic system.The skin is the largest organ in the body, and is responsible for one-fourth of the body's detoxification each day. It also makes it one of the most important elimination organs! For this reason the skin is also known as the "3rd" kidney, with the lungs being known as the 2nd kidney.Our circulatory system has its own pump (our heart) to move blood through our bodies but our lymphatic system does not. It primarily relies on our movement to assist it. Typically, the more active we are physically the better condition our lymphatics will be.Skin brushing helps move lymph Fluid and gives us a jump-start on health. When the pores are not clogged with dead cells and the lymphatic system is cleansed, the body is able to carry out its important function of eliminating toxins and waste material. Under normal circumstances the skin eliminates more than one pound of waste products every day. If the skin becomes inactive with its pores clogged with millions of dead cells and other debris, toxins will remain in the body. This puts undue stress on the other eliminative organs, mainly the kidneys and liver, making them increase their activity. Eventually they become overworked.Skin brushing helps exfoliate and invigorate our skin too. It increases our blood supply to the area bringing with it nourishment and oxygen. Dry skin brushing will not only help increase circulation and elimination of toxins, but will also make a huge difference to the quality of your skin and it will look and feel healthier.Dry skin brushing improves the surface circulation of the skin and keep the pores of the skin open, encouraging your body to discharge metabolic wastes. Dry skin-brushing - dry meaning not in the bath - will change the health of your whole body by helping it get rid of toxins.

Benefits of dry skin brushingstimulates the lymphatic systemcleans toxins from the lymphatic systemhelps digestionstimulates circulationincreases cell renewalstrengthens the immune systemtightens the skinremoves dead skin layers and other debris collected in its pores

Use the right kind of brush

The brush used should be a long-handled, bath-type brush. It is essential that it contain natural bristles and not synthetic ones. Synthetic bristles will scratch the surface of the skin and are harsh and irritating. The brush should be kept dry and not used for bathing.For hygienic reasons it is wise to have a separate brush for each member of the family.Thoroughly wash the brush with soap and Water every couple of weeks. Always allow the brush to dry out when not in use.

How to do skin brushing

The body should be dry, and the brush should pass once over every part of the body except the face.The best time to do skin brushing is before showering or bathing at least once a day, and twice, if possible.Do not wet the skin since it will not have the same effect because this stretches the skin. The skin should not become red. If it does, you are probably brushing too hard.There should be no back and forth motion, circular motion, scrubbing, or massaging - one clean sweep does it. Use long gentle, but firm, stokes.The direction of the brushing should generally be towards the lower abdomen.

To brush the skin, use long gentle, but firm, strokes

Start at the feet and legs brushing upwards to your groin.Then do your hands and go up your arms to the armpits.Then brush upwards on your buttocks.Brush down the neck, chest and trunk.Brush your lower abdomen towards the center.It is permissible to brush across the top of the shoulders and upper back as the best contact with the skin is made that way.Don't brush your face.Brush the breasts very lightly avoiding the nipples.

Additional information

If you haven’t done skin brushing before it is wise to start with only one pass over the skin’s surface. Over time you can gradually increase the number of strokes done during each skin brushing session. The reason is that too much stimulation can be too hard on the body. And always use long gentle, but firm, strokes. Remember that your skin should not turn red, which means the pressure on your strokes is too heavy. The idea is to stimulate and not to irritate the skin.Many people may find large amounts of lymph mucoid in their stools a day or two after beginning skin brushing. This is the emptying out of the backlog of mucoid from the lymphatic system and is the effect of detoxifying the lymph system.

Thanks! My sisters do this and they seem to have less spider veins than I do. I want to try it. Thanks for posting!

Thanks for posting. Anything you stimulate the skin it will help circulation and detoxification.

Again, it's all over the internet and it's not a big secret.

Just because its on the Internet doesn't make it true.

Having said that, it doesn't seem like anything that could hurt... so if you are interested try it and let us know if you think it works.

I've done a lot of research on dry skin brushing in the past, and I used to do it regularly. It absolutely does work. I don't know if you've heard of Teresa Tapp, but she is a big advocate of dry skin brushing. I bought her video/kit several, several years ago, and I used to do it faithfully. My problem is that I get lazy and don't stick with it. It's been a couple of years since I did it, but I think I will dig out my brush and give it another go! Thanks for reminding me!

I have a brush and whether or not it works or is a scam I have this to say about it:

IT FEELS GREAT!!!!!!

I just wanted to say that I have NOT had my surgery yet, but I HAVE done dry brushing in the past and it DID make a difference for me. My cellulite was not as noticeable and my skin was much smoother. I am hoping to get the Gastric Sleeve and my plan during my weight loss (for skin care) is to keep myself hydrated with Water and to dry brush every day.

:)

This is an ancient practice from India the practice of Ayurvedic medicine. I cannot speak to the yeast and all that but our skin is our largest organ. The practice is called Garshana. There are other things like oil pulling. I tried oil pulling but found it time consuming. Anyway sure skin brushing feels good at the very least. Now back to my sleeve date count down.......

Sent from my LGLS990 using the BariatricPal App