Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two Important Points To Remember

Hi Everyone!

I told my Doc about this site and he is thrilled to know that we have chosen to take an active part in eachothers lives for the benifit of all. He wanted to have me tell yall a couple of things that he considers very important in the lives of all banders.

First and formost...ALWAYS tell any medical person that you are banded!!! If you undergo any type of medical procedure, I mean ANY TYPE from wart removal to Teeth cleaning, Major or Minor surgery, you MUST have antibiotics!!! He says it may mean the difference between a safe and uneventful recovery and disaster!!

Second, and still very important in the sucessful weight loss catagory, DO NOT drink fluids 5 minutes before, during, and for 2 hours after your meals. The fluids cause the foods to flow through your stoma before they are supposed to and you will get hungry long before it's necessary. He tells me that this is the most effective way to lose weight using the band, and I believe him. So for any of you who are having trouble losing weight with the band or feeling hungry too soon after meals, try to see if drinking fluids in that time frame is undermining your ability to effectively lose weight. Good luck to all!!!:hungry:

That which does not kill me makes me stronger!!

I dont understand why you'd need antibiotics to have your teeth cleaned.

Does anyone know how the band has an effect on this?

I asked my doc about that - because I've never heard that mentioned in Australia. He said its not true, there's no possible reason why you'd need antibiotics just to get your teeth cleaned or filled or checked.

But how does that relate to the band?

Dental infections are problematic as they can lead to heart disease, but I cant see how they'd affect your band.

Sorry to get this off track Sparkey, you were just nicely sharing important info, not trying to incite a debate, lol.

I think it has to do with a foreign object in our bodies. My mom had a hip replacement and she also has to take antibiotics before teeth cleaning, fillings etc. Anybody know the details?

Diva, thats exactly what my doc said. Because of the foreign body in your body, you always have to take antibotics, maybe it's because IF you got an infection your body would see your band as a problem and start trying to fight it as well as the infection

Antibiotic prophylaxis is a common requirment for people with infectious disease processes going on, but I have never read nor heard of needing it for because of being banded. Many heart patients, transplant recipients, elderly, or people taking certain medications may be required to do this.

I doubt a healthy banded person, though.

Kelli

I'm with Pugmum:

Anti-biotics on a prophylactic basis is indicated for some higher-risk patients (like my sister with heart disease) but I have never heard across the board for all LapBand patients. I don't know any stats that say LapBanders have a higher rate of infection...

We'll all stayed tuned to hear more, though

Happy Band (And Life) Journeys To All...