Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Information On All Mexico Doctors

I had a lap band that was removed after a lot of problems in 08/2010, and I am now looking to have the gastric sleeve. I am a self pay so money is a huge issue, and will help in part determine the choice of doctor that I use in Mexico. I had my lap band placed in Mexico and have been back there several times, so I am not afraid to have surgery there but I feel I need to make an informed choice. What I would like is for anyone that will to please tell me your doctors name, what the cost of your sleeve was, what kind of staples and or suturing were used during surgery, and what kind of leak tests were performed. The price is the second deciding factor with the suturing/staples and leak tests being first on my list of requirements. Thanks in advance for anyone that posts information, it is the people like you that pave the way for people like me, and without your valuable input we would be at a lose when we make our decisions.

Also when I do go to Mexico for my sleeve I will be paying cash and as such will be there with very little extra money or access to extra money if needed. With that in mind what happens if I were to have complications from surgery, how does the cost of paying for that work? Here in US if you have complications that are an emergency they are fixed and the cost is billed to you later, but I don't have any ideal how that works in Mexico. I saw one site that gave the package price but then stated that it didn't cover any complications.

I am also in the same situation (except I have had no surgery previously) and would like to know all that info plus which would be better...lap band or the sleeve. I assume you think the sleeve?

I am also in the same situation (except I have had no surgery previously) and would like to know all that info plus which would be better...lap band or the sleeve. I assume you think the sleeve?

I had my lap band placed in Mexico. The first two years were fine but I could never get the proper fill level, and after the first two years I had a year of hell that started with a flipped port, and ended with an infected internal band from the orginal flipped port that finally ended in band removal. If the sleeve had been available when I got the band I would never have considered the band if I had it to do over again. Good luck with your choice.

i also have a band that i got in mexico 4 years ago. i did great for 3 1/2 years until my band slipped. i was even at my goal weight. the thing is though i had to have my band really tight to lose the weight, and honestly i got sick multiple times a day. if i would have known about the sleeve back then i would not have chose the band. even though i lost 120 pounds with the band i was miserable. its amazing how fast i gained weight back after it slipped. i have gained back 45 pounds in 6 months. i did have my slip fixed and regret it every minute of every day. i am now in the process of having my band removed and converting to the sleeve. money is what is holding me back because i just paid $5000 2 months ago to have this darn band fixed. i am going to have my revision done by dr Ramos Kelly in Tijuana. he charges $5300 for the sleeve and everything is included except your plane ticket. my price will be $6300 though because mine is a revision. i will probably be traveling alone in late january or early february so if you do decide on mexico let me know which doctor you are going to. maybe we can be surgery buddies? best of luck to you in your search.