Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I weigh 400 lbs...will this help me?

I am trying to decide between the sleeve and the RNY. I know it is just a tool and we have to work at it. I am just afraid that the sleeve will not be enough for me due to my weight. i have more than 200 lbs to lose. More like 250. I am a self pay so I don't want to do something that will not be enough. I am goign to see the surgeon tomorrow to discuss it but would like feedback from those who might be in similar boat. Thanks in advance.

HollyTX

i have not been sleeved yet but i believe with everything in me that this will work for me. i am 321lbs with a bmi of 51.2 now that's a little smaller than where you are but i'm still a big big girl. like you said this is a tool and we have work it to the best of our ability but to answer your question i think it will help you just as it will help me.

thickinphilly

Welcome Holly!! Congrats on starting your journey. I've only just been sleeved so I'm still learning to work with this tool. I'm sure plenty more people will chime in with their advice for you. I had a roommate who had the RNY done, and now she's trying to lose some of the weight she regained after the procedure. I'm not sure of her weight, but I don't think she weighed more than me (I started at 333lbs). However, it is a tool and she just wasn't using it correctly. So it may have less to do with size and more about the dedication you put towards it.

Whatever decision you make, I hope you make your tool work for you!

Hey hollytx, I got sleeved back in august, I've lost like 50 lbs since then. My starting weight before surgery was like 383 and I had to do a 6 month diet before that, starting weight for that was 427 that was last December. I was told by my surgeons nurse who had the full open gastric bypass 10 years ago that the numbers for weight loss are just as good for the sleeve as the gastric bypass, just takes a little longer because there is no malabsorbtion.

Hello Hollytx, I am also over 400 lbs had my sleeve done August 24th. I"m now into my 5th week since my surgery. I'm donig great. So far I've lost 43 lbs since my surgery. Every day I have my struggles just like everyone does. But now when I look in the mirror I see the weight coming off. I see a new me trying to come out. I will tell you this is one of the hardest things I've ever done. I have my own little support group on here who I know will help me and you if you ever need anything. Once you make up your mind, trust me you'll be extrememly happy and pleased in what ever you decide. Good Luck!

Welcome! There are lots of great videos on Youtube where people have started at your weight. Just something that might help you decide. Good luck on your decision and keep us posted.

I am trying to decide between the sleeve and the RNY. I know it is just a tool and we have to work at it. I am just afraid that the sleeve will not be enough for me due to my weight. i have more than 200 lbs to lose. More like 250. I am a self pay so I don't want to do something that will not be enough. I am goign to see the surgeon tomorrow to discuss it but would like feedback from those who might be in similar boat. Thanks in advance.

Hi there, I don't post much anymore, but i read and when something strikes me I like to respond. . I weighed 350 lbs at my highest weight before the sleeve. I too was thinking of all the things i could have. . it was my hubbie who was stopping me with these. . he didn't like the idea of the band (of course), he didn't like the idea of RNY because of all that "reconstruction" and some of the complications that come with it. . . ie: diarrhea each time you eat. . .so we decided on the sleeve and if you look on my ticker you'll see it's working for me. . . but that doesn't mean it's going to work with you. . . you have to research these surgeries and feel really comfortable with your own personal decision. . . no one can make that decision for you. . so talk with your physician, do your homework, and whichever surgery you decide on should give you that comforty fuzzy warm feeling. . .a good feeling. . that is the one to go with. . good luck and best to you! Your going to do this, most of us are doing fabulously!

I had the sleeve and it worked great. I also sent someone to Dr. Aceves who weighed approx. 400 pounds or slightly over. Dr. Aceves recommended the sleeve for him. He's doing great, and at last check has lost approx. 150 pounds, probably more by now. The people I know who had the RNY procedure initially lost, but all have since regained some of that weight - anywhere from 20-30 pounds. You only malabsorb for so long and the pouch stretches making it possible to actually regain all the weight if you're not careful. The sleeve is different; it's still your stomach, just less of it. You'll ultimately have to decide which procedure is best for your body, I'm just telling you what I've experienced personally. Best of luck with your decision.

I was sleeved on Oct 19, 2010 I also struggled with what to do sleeve or bypass my surgen made it clear that he felt that i should do the sleeve first and if i need to go back later and convert to a bypass then that is an option vs jumping to bypass. I am very happy that I went with his plan I was at 419 bls at my highest weight and that was in July I lost some before surgery and day of I was at 388 lbs and today I am at 346 so a total of 73 lbs. It is a very personal choice but I thought it might help to hear a story that sounds close to the same that you are in. Please if you have any questions please let me know I would be happy to share if you have any questions.

Hi there,

I weighed 405 when I started out. I lost 28 pounds during the 6 month preop diet and just got sleeved Monday.

If you do your research, on paper it shows that the Lap Band's success rate is not very good for someone at a high weight like 400. This is the same for RNY because you're only going to lose about 100 pounds or so. My doctor basically told me that VSG was the safest surgery at 400+ pounds and leaves the door open for RNY/Lapband if a patient still wants that down the line.

Mind you, after having my surgery and the miserable experience that has ensued.. I would make sure that you are ready for this operation. The operation is like dying to be reborn. I have bruises on my arms from how many times they had to redo the IV, and aches and pains that are just starting to go away five days later. It is going to save your life, but it is going to kill the old one as well. You might as well know that going in.

Hi , I feel your point. I am , well use to be 352.2 lbs my BMI is 54.3 . I want the VSG. I did everything my doctor told me to, but guess what, after loseing 13lbs being excited about doing this , I call my doctor after 3 weeks asking if he had recieved the reports of me following up on everything I had done.....OMG , my heart drop.now they tell me that my doctor doesn't take my insurance anymore.......I was crazy, but I had to hold on to myself and say "I came to far to let anyone stop me now, so I am looking for another doc. Sometimes I wonder what happen to me, where did all this lugage come from? If we had only new what we were doing to ourselfs, maybe , well anyway why didn't somebody say something or anything for that matter....I Pray for you that you make the right dicision and good luck...I will be here just incase. Ok, don't eat after 6pm, no white foods and diffenetly no sugar, I switch to sweet n low and its not that bad. Drink a lot of Water before meals and small portions a MUST.... Elite53

From all the research I put 2gether I feel that both RNY and Sleeve will have to same outcome at the end. The only thing is that with RNY you will lose the weight much quicker but you have to adhere to alot of Vitamins that are sooo mandatory. This is also true with the sleeve BUT you only need to take a few.