Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating my head off!

I am having surgery in December and will start the pre-op diet in November. Right now I am having a terrible time because I can't seem to stop eating sweets. It is like I'm on death row and am having my last meal! Have any of you gone through this? I have had the Lap Band and did very well until I developed a hiatal hernia. Now I have to have the hernia repaired, the Band removed and then a VSG done. I guess I am worried about the surgery and I'm comforting myself with food. Any feedback?

I'm in the same boat. Doing fast food TWICE a day then pizza every Friday night. I need to come to grips with myself and my eating habits. Soon.

I found out on a Friday that my surgery would be two weeks later on a Monday, so that weekend I ate my face off. Every single thing I wanted, I ate. Taco Bell, Coldstone, Friendly's, nothing was off limits. I knew it would be a while, if not forever, that I wouldn't be having these foods again so I indulged. Initially, I thought that maybe I should use that last weekend to prepare and maybe not pig out, but then I decided it was okay. Afterward, it was hard to not swing through a drive-thru but I kept my mind focused on the bigger picture. The last thing I wanted was to get to surgery date and get opened up, only to be closed and told they would have to wait another week because my liver was too big to see around.

I HEAR ALL THESE STORIES ABOUT liquid DIETS FOR WEEKS AND REALLY HARDCORE DIETS BEFORE SURGERY, IVE HAD 2 LAPBANDS, AND AM BEING SLEEVED ON NOV. 1ST, AND MY DOC JUST HAS US DO PHASE 1 SOUTHBEACH, FOR 1 WEEK PRIOR TO SURG. EVEN BYPASS..???? DONT GET IT.:blink:

I guess I'm going to put myself in the "lucky" category because my surgeon only requires Clear liquids for 24 hours before surgery. Since this has been a 6 month process, I have had lots of time to enjoy food, but not go crazy. I didn't gain any weight during the 6 months of "weight monitoring" (didn't lose any either). Yesterday was my *LAST* chance to eat whatever, and I had an egg for Breakfast, a greek yogurt for a snack, a protien shake for lunch, a protien bar for snack, and for dinner a bunless hamburger and veggies. I thought I would go crazy, but I just ate low-carb. I guess I'm in "buckle-down" mode...

I know this doesn't help when you have a ton of time left on the clock (before your surgery) but since mine is right around the corner, all week I've been thinking about what the nurse told us in our group nutrition class. "The surgeon doesn't want to open up your stomach and find anything in there" ....sort of gross to think about, so I guess maybe that has kept me on the straight and narrow.

It is scary to think about having to change our habits related to food isn't it?

I guess I'm going to put myself in the "lucky" category because my surgeon only requires Clear Liquids for 24 hours before surgery. Since this has been a 6 month process, I have had lots of time to enjoy food, but not go crazy. I didn't gain any weight during the 6 months of "weight monitoring" (didn't lose any either). Yesterday was my *LAST* chance to eat whatever, and I had an egg for Breakfast, a greek yogurt for a snack, a protien shake for lunch, a protien bar for snack, and for dinner a bunless hamburger and veggies. I thought I would go crazy, but I just ate low-carb. I guess I'm in "buckle-down" mode...

I know this doesn't help when you have a ton of time left on the clock (before your surgery) but since mine is right around the corner, all week I've been thinking about what the nurse told us in our group nutrition class. "The surgeon doesn't want to open up your stomach and find anything in there" ....sort of gross to think about, so I guess maybe that has kept me on the straight and narrow.

It is scary to think about having to change our habits related to food isn't it?

I think having the Lap Band has helped me to understand a bit more about the dietary changes, but it is still scary to think about having something so permanent done. I am convinced, though, that this is the best option for a lifetime tool that will help me control my diabetes. Thanks for your comment!

Don't be too hard on yourself - lots of people go through that - lordy I can't even believe how much I ate the last two weeks before I started my preop diet lol. It will be okay, don't sweat it! ;)

Kathy

lord help me ! hello all i'm having sugery on11/2/10 and cant stop eating i think im nervous i need to get a grip..

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much, as long as you don't go TOO crazy. I definitely took my opportunity to indulge in all my favorite foods before my surgery. You won't be able to eat a lot of that stuff afterward, and even if you can, only very little. Personally I'm glad I ate a ton of sushi beforehand, cause now I can't go near sticky rice :(

I am having surgery in December and will start the pre-op diet in November. Right now I am having a terrible time because I can't seem to stop eating sweets. It is like I'm on death row and am having my last meal! Have any of you gone through this? I have had the Lap Band and did very well until I developed a hiatal hernia. Now I have to have the hernia repaired, the Band removed and then a VSG done. I guess I am worried about the surgery and I'm comforting myself with food. Any feedback?

I went through this but unfortunately for me, I had almost a year to even get a date for my surgery. So I had alot of last meals that lead to 14 lb weight gain. You of course don't have that long. When I finally did get closer to my surgery I had to join Weight Watchers to lose that excess weight. It has all worked out and since I have been post op, I have been doing great. My advise to you is not to go overboard on the last meals, because if you gain that is just going to be more weight you will have to lose after surgery. Good luck

I am suposed to keep my weight the same for three months before surgery. I just made chocolate chip Cookies a couple of days ago. I added soy Protein, splenda instead of sugar and whole wheat flour. I am trying to do some damage control without giving up everything! And trying to get in the habit of eating more protein... and drinking water....NOT with meals. You can do it! I am going on vacation for three weeks and will be back 14 days before surgery.. now that scares me a bit... I won't have as much control over my choices while there. I was thinking about getting some Protein Drinks to have before eating out so I'm not has hungry....I will be writing everything I eat down too... Don't want to come back way up and not have time to lose it!

Hi Dee,

I did the same thing back in March 2010. I had scheduled my appointment in February for the first consultation, and decided that I was going to eat anything I wanted whenever I wanted. I don't remember what I ate anymore and feel a little embarrassed about it. However, my surgery will probably come in December and I don't feel as panicked about that stuff because I already got it out of my system. I think it's a combination of knowing that you'll be operated soon and soothing yourself with food, and wanted to get in the "last hurrahs." I think you'll be okay as long as you remind yourself that these are your last hurrahs, because this is a lifestyle change, not a temporary solution. And why would you want to go back to eating all of that junk? In the end it's so gross. Check out Jaime Oliver's Food Revolution if you can to see some enlightening stuff foodwise.

Good luck with your surgery Dee. =)

I went through the same phase. It was actually nice to get that out of my system. A few days before the surgery, I happened upon a bunch of free KitKat bars and was so sick of sweets, I didn't even want them anymore. I did pack on another 5-8 lbs thanks to my eating in the 2 months preceding the surgery, but that added maybe another week to my weightloss journey, at the most. The first 20 lbs came off extremely fast. I didn't have to do a pre-op diet as I had a lower BMI, so I didn't beat myself up about it too much.

Thanks, everyone! You are a compassionate group and I appreciate your words of comfort and encouragement. We will all get through this together!;)