Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Weeks Out - Everything Tastes Awful

Suddenly, nothing tastes right. In fact, most things taste pretty disgusting. It wasn't this bad just a few days ago, but now, I can hardly drink or eat anything. Saltines are about the only thing that taste normal, and that doesn't help me with Protein, and it certainly hurts me with carbs. Not that I've had very many.

Is this normal? I can't function like this.

Suddenly, nothing tastes right. In fact, most things taste pretty disgusting. It wasn't this bad just a few days ago, but now, I can hardly drink or eat anything. Saltines are about the only thing that taste normal, and that doesn't help me with Protein, and it certainly hurts me with carbs. Not that I've had very many.

I have heard about people's tastes changing. I hope it recovers for you.

I have heard about people's tastes changing. I hope it recovers for you.

Hello,

I see you are on week 5. I hope this change in your taste is temporary. Your ticker tape: does it reflect the weight you lost pre op? In 5 weeks how much have you lost?

Me well I am on week two and starting to eat real food. I lost almost 20 lbs pre op so it will be interesting to see how much weight I start melting off. I am tired of being unhealthy. I now have a belly button :) Seems so little.

I look forward in our chatting. Blessings, MN Mary :rolleyes:

I've lost 23 pounds in the five weeks since surgery. It doesn't seem like much compared to others.

Tonight I ate some red Beans and sausage and it tasted fine. Popsicles still taste fine. I'm hoping tomorrow is better.

Hey Susie,

I was the same way. For most of weeks 2 and 3, I ate crackers because they were the only things that didn't make me want to throw up and since I wasn't eating anything else, I didn't worry about the carbs. I was pretty much living off of saltines and tea. I explained that to much surgeon and he didn't seem too worried about it either. The carbs part, I mean. However, my tastes are starting to adjust. Pre-op I LOVED sf Jello but post-op, it makes me sick. Mashed potatoes were making me sick, but then I had some of a regular baked potato today and it was fine.

From what I've heard, this is a normal occurrence. If your stomach is upset, I would suggest tea. That's always helped me. And I've been told that even though my tasted are off now, they may switch back to how they were before, so to keep trying things a couple of times.

It's normal...I was the same at week 5. By week 6 it got better for me, and continues to get a little better.

I'm glad you posted this, cus I thought it was me. I am 2 1/2 weeks out and still on liquids. But before the surgery I loved all flavors of Crystal Light, and loved Vitamin Water zero, and Sobet etc. Now I can't find anything to drink that i LIKE the tatse of, and have been doing more plain Water than anything. It all tastes "off" to me, like it went bad.. I really hope this goes away..

Yay I'm not the only one. I'm on week 4 and was doing great till this past weekend when all of sudden most food made me want to throw up- even the thought it. The last couple days the only thing I enjoy are these chicken fingers I got at costco to throw in the toaster oven. 2 of those fill me up. But they have more fat then I would like. Hope this phase passes soon! :blink:

Thank you for posting about food tasting different and undesirable. Just 4+ weeks out. Eating is a chore and I am finding food tastes not as I remembered. Hear hope is around the corner from those with experience.

Read another post a little while ago from Tiff and she mentioned to be sure to seasoning food well. Tried and yes, it really helps. Still no desire to eat but when I eat I am not choking food down. Hate scrambled egg so I tried quiche/sunny side up. My fridge full of uneaten food which has been rejected after one bite. Each day is an adventure. Good luck!

First of all, congrats on losing 23 pounds. That's more than four pounds a week, and is far better than any diet you could possibly be on. Everyone loses at a different pace - be thankful you're losing!

Secondly, this is normal. You will most likely get over it, and probably sooner than you think. I wouldn't worry too much about carbs just yet, but you want to make sure you're eating as healthily as possible.

Try new foods. Things you used to hate or avoid might taste lovely to you now. Add spices, hot sauce, whatever it takes to make food more palatable. Set a timer to eat if you have no hunger, or else you'll suffer for it. If you absolutely cannot eat but can drink, get on those Protein shakes. I used to hate tacos and Mexican food but it's my favorite thing right now, and one of the few things I actually want to eat. Do whatever it takes to get those calories in your body.

I am three months out. I still hate to eat. Food does not taste good to me unless I spice it up like crazy. Hot sauce is my new best friend, and I put it on almost everything I eat. I am not the norm, however. Most people get over this hurdle fairly quickly.

Find things you like that will help you meet your nutritional guidelines.

I say this because I'm a pretty slow loser, and it's mostly because I hardly eat. I'm starting to lose my hair, and I'm sure it's because I've been lagging behind nutritionally for two months now. I have less energy than I did when I could eat or drink all of my calories and Protein.

Nutrition is important. I know exactly how you feel - but you have to work on this. Me, too! It's not easy, but it's important.

Good luck,

~Cheri