Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My great GPS experience with Dr. Watkins

Hello everyone,

JoanieW spotted this earlier post in a different section of the Forum and asked me to post here. Thanks again, Joanie, your posts helped me!

I am Ken and I had GPS, Gastric Plication Surgery, by Dr. Brad Watkins Sept 22nd, 2010. I am a 62 yr old man, a little over 5ft 11in with a 32 BMI. On the day of surgery I weighed 228lbs. The week before surgery I had lost 4lbs on an 800 calorie liquid diet. Ten days post surgery I weigh 216lbs. I have already been able to cut back on my diabetes drug by two thirds and my glucose is now controlled for the first time in months. As far as how much weight I want to lose it is whatever weight loss it takes to permanently resolve my diabetes without drugs.

I want to give a big thank you to your forum members for sharing their experiences and questions. In viewing your forum I was introduced to Dr. Watkins’ impressively thorough explanations of GPS in which he told exactly how and why he does the surgery. I was also very impressed by how he always searches out and repairs any hiatal hernia. If you don't have a hernia he still takes his time to optimize the size of your hiatus. He also has you reduce any H. Pylori bacteria before surgery to ensure your fastest recovery. He is so thorough! He also uses the smallest diameter tools so your five little cuts in your abdomen are 5mm wide, not 10mm, as some other surgeons leave. I live in CA and other surgeons are closer and some charge less but not one of them takes the time to respond to questions as he does on the forum. When I emailed him with my specific questions he responded quickly and answered my questions fully. His positive attitude and enthusiasm for helping others is a delight to experience. I was to find him just as helpful on the phone and in person. As is his wonderful staff. I cannot think of any way that Dr. Watkins, his staff and his Surgery Center could have made my life changing experience any better, easier or more comfortable.

My sole reason for having GPS was to help me resolve my Type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed over three and a half years ago and lately the maximum allowable dosage of Metformin was failing to control my glucose. I had been following Dr. Rubino’s surgery to resolve diabetes but had been reluctant to have my duodenum bypassed due to the possible complications. I was leaning towards Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy but when I read about Gastric Plication/Imbrication Surgery and how there was no cutting of the stomach I scoured the net for more info. The more info I got the more intrigued I was. I tell friends that it is the only “non surgical surgery” I have seen since no organ is cut. Not having to worry about leakage and being able to retain my whole stomach made me decide to have GPS.

I called Dr. Watkins' office and Kristin, who has an infectious laugh, emailed me their forms. After emailing them back a phone appointment was set up so I could talk with staff and then Dr. Watkins. That was a great experience. Everyone was helpful and upbeat. Especially Dr. Watkins. We talked until I was emptied of questions and he had explained everything in great detail. A week and a half later I was meeting his Super Staff and then sitting and talking even more with Dr. Watkins.

I returned early the next morning for surgery. The surgical staff were friendly and cheerful. Soon I was asleep. I awakened after surgery around 11AM and was walking and drinking an hour later. I felt pretty good. Dr. Watkins came in and gave me details of the surgery and some great photos of my new stomach and the hiatal hernia repair. He had called my family members after surgery and told them how my surgery had gone since I had come alone. That afternoon I ate 8oz of yogurt with no difficulty. An hour after eating I was able to drink 8oz of Tomato juice in 10 minutes. I have had no nausea or vomiting. I had, and still have to a much lesser degree, what I describe as a dull ache in my chest. Dr. Watkins says it is due to both my hiatal hernia repair and the fact that the stomach swells after being folded and stitched. He said that this pain/aching usually disappears within one to two weeks. Pain was never more than a 3 out of 10 and that was in the first couple of days. Since then a 1 or a 2 max. I was surprised by how little pain I have had. I walked the hall quite a bit that day and evening. My nurses were friendly and at times downright funny. Early the next morning I left the Surgery Center for my hotel. I walked over a mile that afternoon and had a good nights sleep.

The second day after surgery I rented a car and drove to the National Museum of the Airforce, about 20 miles north of West Chester. What a fabulous museum! I walked for four hours seeing aircraft from the Wright Brothers era to now. Take time to see this if you have any interest in aviation. I was definitely tired that night but so pleased that I had gotten to see it. Early the next morning I flew back to CA. That day and the next were my two sorest days. Soreness lessens every day. I have continued to walk daily and am back on my bike. I have been eating solids (scrambled eggs with diced ham, ground beef, chicken soft tacos, bananas, refried Beans and more) since the 6th day after surgery. I can only eat about 8oz and I am full. Three times I ate a little too much and had a mild stomach ache.

To say that I am thrilled with my progress so far is an understatement.

If you are considering Gastric Plication Surgery and you want a highly skilled, bright and reassuring Doctor who will give you an extraordinary amount of his time before and after surgery I urge you to email or call Dr. Watkins and his wonderful staff. I have never known a Doctor who is both so accessible and so interested in helping you make your life dramatically better.

Ken

GPS 9-22-10

by Dr. Brad Watkins

Cincinnati Weight Loss Center

Preop 1 week diet weight 232lbs

Surgery weight 228lbs

10-2-10 weight 216lbs

Hello everyone,

JoanieW spotted this earlier post in a different section of the Forum and asked me to post here. Thanks again, Joanie, your posts helped me!

I am Ken and I had GPS, Gastric Plication Surgery, by Dr. Brad Watkins Sept 22nd, 2010. I am a 62 yr old man, a little over 5ft 11in with a 32 BMI. On the day of surgery I weighed 228lbs. The week before surgery I had lost 4lbs on an 800 calorie liquid diet. Ten days post surgery I weigh 216lbs. I have already been able to cut back on my diabetes drug by two thirds and my glucose is now controlled for the first time in months. As far as how much weight I want to lose it is whatever weight loss it takes to permanently resolve my diabetes without drugs.

I want to give a big thank you to your forum members for sharing their experiences and questions. In viewing your forum I was introduced to Dr. Watkins’ impressively thorough explanations of GPS in which he told exactly how and why he does the surgery. I was also very impressed by how he always searches out and repairs any hiatal hernia. If you don't have a hernia he still takes his time to optimize the size of your hiatus. He also has you reduce any H. Pylori bacteria before surgery to ensure your fastest recovery. He is so thorough! He also uses the smallest diameter tools so your five little cuts in your abdomen are 5mm wide, not 10mm, as some other surgeons leave. I live in CA and other surgeons are closer and some charge less but not one of them takes the time to respond to questions as he does on the forum. When I emailed him with my specific questions he responded quickly and answered my questions fully. His positive attitude and enthusiasm for helping others is a delight to experience. I was to find him just as helpful on the phone and in person. As is his wonderful staff. I cannot think of any way that Dr. Watkins, his staff and his Surgery Center could have made my life changing experience any better, easier or more comfortable.

My sole reason for having GPS was to help me resolve my Type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed over three and a half years ago and lately the maximum allowable dosage of Metformin was failing to control my glucose. I had been following Dr. Rubino’s surgery to resolve diabetes but had been reluctant to have my duodenum bypassed due to the possible complications. I was leaning towards Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy but when I read about Gastric Plication/Imbrication Surgery and how there was no cutting of the stomach I scoured the net for more info. The more info I got the more intrigued I was. I tell friends that it is the only “non surgical surgery” I have seen since no organ is cut. Not having to worry about leakage and being able to retain my whole stomach made me decide to have GPS.

I called Dr. Watkins' office and Kristin, who has an infectious laugh, emailed me their forms. After emailing them back a phone appointment was set up so I could talk with staff and then Dr. Watkins. That was a great experience. Everyone was helpful and upbeat. Especially Dr. Watkins. We talked until I was emptied of questions and he had explained everything in great detail. A week and a half later I was meeting his Super Staff and then sitting and talking even more with Dr. Watkins.

I returned early the next morning for surgery. The surgical staff were friendly and cheerful. Soon I was asleep. I awakened after surgery around 11AM and was walking and drinking an hour later. I felt pretty good. Dr. Watkins came in and gave me details of the surgery and some great photos of my new stomach and the hiatal hernia repair. He had called my family members after surgery and told them how my surgery had gone since I had come alone. That afternoon I ate 8oz of yogurt with no difficulty. An hour after eating I was able to drink 8oz of Tomato juice in 10 minutes. I have had no nausea or vomiting. I had, and still have to a much lesser degree, what I describe as a dull ache in my chest. Dr. Watkins says it is due to both my hiatal hernia repair and the fact that the stomach swells after being folded and stitched. He said that this pain/aching usually disappears within one to two weeks. Pain was never more than a 3 out of 10 and that was in the first couple of days. Since then a 1 or a 2 max. I was surprised by how little pain I have had. I walked the hall quite a bit that day and evening. My nurses were friendly and at times downright funny. Early the next morning I left the Surgery Center for my hotel. I walked over a mile that afternoon and had a good nights sleep.

The second day after surgery I rented a car and drove to the National Museum of the Airforce, about 20 miles north of West Chester. What a fabulous museum! I walked for four hours seeing aircraft from the Wright Brothers era to now. Take time to see this if you have any interest in aviation. I was definitely tired that night but so pleased that I had gotten to see it. Early the next morning I flew back to CA. That day and the next were my two sorest days. Soreness lessens every day. I have continued to walk daily and am back on my bike. I have been eating solids (scrambled eggs with diced ham, ground beef, chicken soft tacos, bananas, refried Beans and more) since the 6th day after surgery. I can only eat about 8oz and I am full. Three times I ate a little too much and had a mild stomach ache.

To say that I am thrilled with my progress so far is an understatement.

If you are considering Gastric Plication Surgery and you want a highly skilled, bright and reassuring Doctor who will give you an extraordinary amount of his time before and after surgery I urge you to email or call Dr. Watkins and his wonderful staff. I have never known a Doctor who is both so accessible and so interested in helping you make your life dramatically better.

Ken

GPS 9-22-10

by Dr. Brad Watkins

Cincinnati Weight Loss Center

Preop 1 week diet weight 232lbs

Surgery weight 228lbs

10-2-10 weight 216lbs

Thanks so much for posting KenE! Dr. Watkins and his staff are SO caring and through! Surgerical Facility and office was new look & state of the art. Nursing staff were so caring, explianed everthing and even gave me a heated gown that had hot blown through it!

I am so bummed I couldn't have the surgery today! Once he got down into my stomach with camera, he found polyps that I am not supposed to have. So now I have to have them bi-oped and wait a few months to see if they change! It is KILLING ME that I can't have now! Short of getting on my knees, I've asked Dr. Watkins at-least 5 different ways if there is anyway to have it this week or beginning of the week. But I will have to wait. He said that it polyps are common for someone taking Prevacid drugs for years, but not for me who just started. It could be my hormones secreting a high Gaston level or it could be cancer. I am not worried just on a level of disappointment of for not getting Plicated, 0-10 I am a 20!

Good news though, so far it was all a breeze. General anesthesia was so easy, no pain or burning for me.. I walked to OR, got up on the bed, laid down and didn't even have time to pray! The next thing they were waking me up and I was asking about the polyps and I was very coherent. The worse thing was the IV in the hand at the beginning, but she only stuck me once and an having it in was only uncomfortable at best. It is no big deal and it won't be any sweat next time.

Dr.Watkins just called my husband to see how I am doing even though I only had an endoscope. He is the BEST caring doctor and was patient answering all our questions. Although I am so disappointed, I appreciate & respect Dr.Watkins professionalism & care, looking out for what's best for me, vs. folding, sowing and not being so throuough. When I CAN have it, he is definitely worth coming up here for - you will LOVE him and his staff! They are there to help answer questions, they are very knowlegable and empathic (alot of them have had weight loss surgery). They are definately in it to make you sucessfull at weightloss, happy and friends for live!

Ken, thanks for posting this.

Amy, I am so sorry you have to wait. But thank God Dr. Watkins endoscoped you before doing the surgery. Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Ken, thanks for posting this.

Amy, I am so sorry you have to wait. But thank God Dr. Watkins endoscoped you before doing the surgery. Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Thanks Joanie, and Amen!

This is a long, overdue story and I will also post it in “My Positive Experience w/Dr. Watkins Thread." This forum is awesome and I've been researching WLS HEAVILY since about June. I've read a lot on WLS. I struggled with the idea of partial stomach removal w/VSG, but knew that having a foreign object in my body would make me worried: slipping, rubbing, etc. - so I wasn't excited about lap band, but some have had great success with it.

When I read about GPS on this forum, I KNEW it felt right.

WHAT MAKES THE RIGHT DR?

Initially, in my mind, I was all set to go to someone locally, so that if I needed support or had issues they would be there for me. I have never had surgery of any kind so this was all new to me. I also thought that I would ONLY choose a doctor who has had some sort of WLS and would be understanding in the weight loss/surgery/food struggle. I attended a seminar from a Dr. who I think had done only 3 VSGs (yes, I know, they have to start somewhere and make a living, but in this case, I didn’t want it to be me) and I found out later that certain things he talked about were incorrect, (like shoulder pain cause being unknown and that could be permanent) is actually referred pain from the diaphragm -per Dr. Watkins.

RESEARCHING…

THANK GOODNESS I RESEARCHED MORE! According to one of the WLS books I read, complications go WAY DOWN (like 80%) when you use an EXPERIENCED surgeon. Of course, this GPS surgery is NEW, but it would stand to reason that it is still better to choose a doctor who had done a lot of surgeries, especially weight loss surgeries. Naturally, I researched Dr. Corvala in Mexico because I think has had done over 100 GPSs by now plus thousands of other weight loss surgeries. However, the book I read also cautioned that while some hospitals/Dr. were terrific in Mexico (just like US-there are good and bad hospitals/Drs.) it may be more challenging to find aftercare in the US. However, there are many people happy with their choice to leave the country and I probably would have been very happy with that route, but I am a worrier.

As I constantly read the forum and asked MANY, MANY questions of the patients and to a few doctors. Dr. Watkins was the most responsive doctor. I would ask him about the surgery details, what other patients experienced, emotional eating, what hunger felt like, hormones, genetic makeup, etc. my symptoms, how big the size of the sleeve, aftercare, etc. For awhile I thought I would try dieting and exercise one more time, and he directed me to the free YOU TUBE about weigh loss which again, shows that although he does run a business, he is really trying to help people. I came obvious conclusion that Dr. Watkins is EXTREMELY KNOWLEGABLE, DEDICATED and in always in COMMUNICATION when you need him, is ALWAYS helping on the forum (even if someone is not his patient) and isn’t pushy. I had a friend that wasn't sure about her GPS surgery, and he left it up to her - didn't pressure her. She had it and is doing fine. I researched him EVERYWHERE and found happy patients and a great track record. Like others have said, it is important that you have the hiatal hernia fixed when they are doing WLS surgery, and that was important to me that Dr. Watkins did that.

Yes, I love Cincy Weight Loss-NO I don't get any financial gain or have anything to gain, no discount for my writing all of this. I do not work in any way with Cincy/Dr. Watkins; I am just a happy patient.

WHEN ONLY THE BEST WILL DO..TOP NOTCH CARE- DR.WATKINS/CINCY WEIGHT LOSS & HOSPTIAL

This Dr. does the right thing.. he even denied me surgery because it was the right thing to do.. Here is my story: After asking A TON of questions and doing lots of research, I was scheduled for Plication surgery in the fall w/Dr. Watkins a couple months ago. Everything went great up to surgery, did well on the pre-op. Visited Cincy Weight Loss, it was a VERY NICE, NEW upscale area, the OFFICE was GREAT. EVERYONE there IS REALLY & TRULY INTERESTED their patients! My husband and I chatted with Diane for almost 3 hours about the great things and weight loss challenges. We met the nurses and his lovely wife Pamela and they were ALL great! We made new friends and had a GREAT TIME. We met Dr. Watkins in person, and sat in his office. He truly is a NICE, SINCERE, DEDICATED & KNOWLEDGABLE PERSON. He is very humble, but it still made me feel good to see all of his certificates/accolades on the wall to know that I was getting a quality and knowledgeable doctor. Since they rarely talk about it, I’ve taken pictures (but the pictures don't do this justice..) but it will give everyone an idea on HOW NICE & NEW, MODERN the hospital and his office are. Never once did we feel “rushed” or pressured, or cut off in conversation, they listened answered our questions thoroughly-my husband and I were REALLY impressed.

I was VERY scared, because I hadn’t ever had surgery or been put under other than my wisdom teeth. However, being put under and waking up was a breeze. HOSPTIAL was MODERN, NEW and I felt VERY confident with my surroundings. They even offered me a hospital gown with state of the art technology where warm air was blown in. I walked with the Dr. and staff into the OR, and laid down on the table. Everything was state of the art, clean new and I was out like light, felt NO pain (except for the initial IV). It felt odd when I woke up, like it had only been a couple of minutes.

Unfortunately for me, the surgery didn’t happen because I had surprise stomach polyps for no good reason. I was VERY disappointed and asked Dr. Watkins about 5 times if we could do surgery later on that week, but it was important to have some other tests & due diligence done. Even though he faced disappointing me, he did the right thing. Some surgeons don’t even do an endoscope, which can reveal polyps, ulcers, hiatal hernias, etc.

My family was also grateful for the level of care and professionalism from this Dr. Later on that day and few times over the weekend, he called us to see how I was doing with anithisa recovery, and I didn’t even have the surgery! But he is that caring. After many tests, (gallbladder, H Pylori, blood test, gastric level tests, gastric emptying test and colonoscopy) it looks like I am fine. I have one more I am going to have done on Friday but I am SO happy that I SHOULD be having GPS surgery with Dr. Watkins in about a week! I am praying that there will be nothing from stopping the surgery and the new life..

Here are a final few words on what I’ve learned..1) It is NOT normal to have stomach pain/throat burning. I lived with this probably my whole adult life. The pain/burning I experienced feels the same as STARVING HUNGER-GOT-TO EAT-NOW was actually acid and was GREATLY reduced on the pre-op diet with the PPI/Prevacaid. Dr. Watkins and his staff have kindly and patiently helped me through this lengthily process of research and tests. Hopefully, no one will have any surprises like I did, but it only made me feel better about my decision. 2) Keep researching until feel comfortable w/your doctor.

If you research their website you’ll see they SUPPORTIVE & HAVE GREAT FOLLOWUP: http://www.cincyweightloss.com/

Cincinnati Weight Loss Center is owned by Dr. Watkins, not a large corporation. This allows us to provide you with the kind of customer experience that family owned businesses like ours can provide. Most of our competitors focus on surgery. We focus on weight loss. There is a huge difference between the two philosophies. Other practices try to compete with us by lowering their price. We focus on maximizing your weight loss success. We don't strive to be the "cheapest in town". That is not a good weight loss model. We strive to provide the best weight loss success in every patient. We offer value - the lowest cost per pound lost. We get a lot of transfer patients who had gastric band surgery elsewhere and are disappointed with their post-op program so they transfer to our practice where we help them achieve their weight loss goals.

Many practices don't monitor their weight loss success. We do, and have published five scientific articles on gastric band weight loss. We started doing band surgery shortly after it was FDA approved in the United States (June 2001). Since then we've completed nearly 5,000 gastric band procedures and have experience with band adjustments that number in the tens of thousands.

That extensive experience has taught us many import things on how to perform gastric band surgery and how to take care of patients afterward to minimize their frustration and maximize their weight loss success. We repair/revise a lot of band operations done improperly by other practices. Patients who choose our practice want it done right the first time and want to maximize their weight loss success. People who only care about getting the cheapest surgery and don't care if they lose weight afterward go to our competitors.

Dr. Brad Watkins

Dr. Brad Watkins is one of the few surgeons in the United States who:

· Has completed well over 1,000 gastric band procedures

· Has experience with nearly 5,000 procedures in his gastric band clinics

· FDA proctoring surgeon for both band companies (Allergan, Ethicon)

· Published five academic papers on gastric banding in the surgical literature

· Performs band-over-bypass procedure

· Performs the new incisionless ROSE procedure

· Teaches other surgeons on primary gastric banding

· Teaches other surgeons on band-over-bypass

· Teaches gastric band courses

· Teaches ROSE courses

· Consultant for Allergan Company, LAP-BAND®

· Consultant for Ethicon Company, REALIZE ™

· Consultant for USGI Company, ROSE procedure

· Completed many advanced bariatric courses and bariatric CME programs

· Involved in multiple clinical trials for adult and adolescent obesity

· Nationally recognized on the "Today Show"

· Member American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery

· Member Council for Advances in Bariatrics

post-3208-13813656111277_thumb.jpg

post-3208-13813656111683_thumb.jpg

post-3208-13813656112066_thumb.jpg

post-3208-13813656112444_thumb.jpg

post-34949-1381366784342_thumb.png post-35985-13813667844201_thumb.jpg post-44833-13813667845026_thumb.jpg post-35985-13813667844201_thumb.jpg post-34949-1381366784342_thumb.png post-3150-13813667843238_thumb.jpg post-3150-13813667842775_thumb.jpg post-43821-13813667841538_thumb.jpg post-59403-13813667840758_thumb.jpg post-57065-13813667840413_thumb.pngHere is my update so far.. I was finally able to have Gastric Plication Surgery! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!! I had it last Friday and here are the notes on my experience.. and photos of the hospital/surgery facility.

Dr. Watkins called and touched base with us to see how our flight went and to make sure we had no other questions for surgery the next day. (We went and met with the staff last time we were in town, so this time we went right into surgery the next day.)

The next morning, we went to the surgical hospital, where they had me put on the hospital gown where they can blow in warm air, although for once I wasn’t cold. The worse part about this experience for me was getting the IV put in. Typically they do not want it in an area that bends (like the elbow). Last time I had it my hand and couldn't WAIT to get it out right after surgery. I explained that I knew it would be important to have it after surgery and for recovery as well but the hand hurt so bad last time, can you please find another place? They kindly acted on my request and put the IV in on the side of my wrist and I was fine the whole time I was there, and I really don't have any bruising from it. It SO GREAT that here, YOU DON'T HAVE TO WEAR COMPRESSION HOSE! They have booties that go around your calves and puff up with air and gentle massage your legs. (See the picture with white/orange booties.)

I felt like everyone was there for me; there was a staff about 5 people on/off there in pre-op and they were ALL SO PATIENT and CARING. I followed them to the Operating Room and laid down on the table. They had 2 anesthesiologists, and they were great. One was so sweet she held my hand when they sent me off to sleep in the Operating Room and Dr. Watkins said his comforting true statement, "We will take EXCEPTIONAL CARE of you." I felt no burning or pain, just went to sleep within about 1 minute.

The next thing I knew, they woke me up and said that I had the GPS surgery and it went great! He also fixed my hiatal hernia. Dr. Watkins came back in to check on me. I had no nausea, just was really tired and my abdomen was sore like I had done 500 sit-ups. My shoulder and back were sore too. It was hard to move around but it was a lot better than I thought it would be and the nurses helped me. Although they had a lot of patients during the week, it was only me over the weekend and the nursing staff were always just a call away and they would be there in seconds. They checked on me every few hours, and I was given an IV so I wouldn't get dehydrated. I had ice chips, Water and apple juice that I could take very very tiny sips from. The leg massagers where great and very soothing. I had plenty of pillows & blankets. They also brought in a regular hospital bed for my husband to sleep in too. The rooms and hospital look SO NEW and CLEAN, like they have never been used.

Elizabeth & Ineed, Theresa, (and everyone else!) were terrific nurses and very caring. I can't say enough about this Dr. & Hospital Staff and follow up care/office staff. The day after surgery, Dr. Watkins personally came in to check on me. I felt good enough to leave the hospital the day after surgery and went back to the hotel. I slept a lot and encourage anyone who has this surgery to sleep as much as they can. Also my husband was smart enough to bring a microwaveable heating pad, and this greatly helped my shoulder and upper back pain.

We flew out on Sunday and were in and out of airports the whole day. I was miserable because I didn’t have all my pain medicine with me, I was afraid TSA would take it if we tried to take it as carry-on. So I only took a dose in the morning. That was a bad idea; all I could do was sit in pain for hours. I did do some walking and sometimes I rode in the wheelchair. If I had to do it again, I would have made sure to take the pain meds (and gasx strips – that got to be painful too) throughout the day as needed. It was very painful to walk, and I had to walk very slowly. Also due to sitting my muscles were tight in my stomach and I have make sure I straightened up and sleep straight so that they don’t get used to being tight. However, every day gets better.

Dr. Watkins and his wonderful staff both called me to see how I was doing today.

Now, I can roll out of bed with hardly any pain at all. My tiny stomach can take in about the size of a normal sip of liquid. I have had no vomiting so far, and usually if I drink too much too quick I have slight pain but it passes through very quickly. My asthma has kicked in, but lessens when I take the pain med. I think it's my body’s way of dealing with the surgery. Later on today both the hospital & Dr. Watkins called to check on me. They are all so nice. All in all, I feel great. I walked a few blocks today outside, this evening. I am still sore, but it isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I am SO excited to have finally had this surgery! I truly feel so normal that I am really afraid I’ll forget that I’ve had it and drink too much at once. Dr.Wakins and his staff are amazing. Even though I had to come a long way, it was totally worth it to have the surgery with this staff. If anyone has any questions, you can Private Message me and I’d be happy to answer them.

post-3208-1381365614737_thumb.jpg

post-3208-13813656147702_thumb.jpg

post-3208-1381365614803_thumb.jpg

post-3208-13813656148351_thumb.jpg

post-3208-13813656148666_thumb.jpg

post-3208-13813656148983_thumb.jpg

post-3208-13813656149298_thumb.jpg

post-3208-13813656149616_thumb.jpg

post-3208-13813656149937_thumb.jpg

post-3208-13813656150256_thumb.jpg

post-3208-13813656150577_thumb.jpg

post-3208-13813656150894_thumb.jpg

post-26767-13813667845902_thumb.jpgOh, I also forgot to add that one of the reasons why I chose Dr.Watkins is because his incisions are tiny. He uses surgical glue also. What I didn't expect is his awsome idea of hiding most of them in my fat crease. You can see that he put them in between my fat rolls, on the wrinkle so that they would be disguised.

post-3208-13813656151217_thumb.jpg

Hi Amy! I'm so glad it all worked out for you this time! Get lots of rest and sip sip sip! Can't wait to watch your journey! I agree, Doc W is top notch, and I enjoyed reading your post, it reminded me of everything I went thru there just 20 days ago!

Hi Amy! I'm so glad it all worked out for you this time! Get lots of rest and sip sip sip! Can't wait to watch your journey! I agree, Doc W is top notch, and I enjoyed reading your post, it reminded me of everything I went thru there just 20 days ago!

Thanks so much Karen! I look forward to reading about your sucess too!! Do you have a blog? or Post here I can follow?

no, no blog, I've considered it, but just haven't gotten there,,,, I figure my weekly emails to Doc W's office will be my "blog" or at least a way to look back and see what was going on each week.

I do post here, and read here every chance i get

Ha ha, that's funny where he put the incisions - nice thinking! biggrin.gif I had to have 6 incisions because I had adhesions, not that I've had any previous abdominal surgeries - apart from a hernia when I was 3, but was told that didn't cause the adhesions! sad.gif

Wow! Merry Christmas to you!!!!

Keep us posted on your progress...and yes, I would have traded just about anything to get out of my compression hose....love the wrap things......

Still happy and loosing weight! I eat about 1/3 of what I used to... Still love to eat, but am very satisfied with little portions and am averaging 1 lb week weightlosss on an average of a 1400 cal diet (sometimes more, somestimes less.)

My hunger IS SO MUCH LESS NOW!! But it took a few months to get there. GPS has taken away the monster stomach and replaced it with satisfaction, control and happiness! Before I was raveniously hungry every few hours and could eat huge platefulls and rarely ever feel full/satisfied - I am now with very little. I do not deprive myself of ANYTHING (except carbonated drinks-yes I know, they may not do anything, but it is not worth the risk to me.) I do not exercise (bad I know-I've got to start up again.) Cookies, Pasta, cake, wine, pizza, drinks..none of these are forbidden.. I eat good first and may have a small amount of any of those things daily.. but I budget for it and it eat healthy the rest of the time. Instead of eating 6 Cookies I'll eat one or 2.. and it is budgeted into my calories. I also don't have to eat those things every day. I have moose tracks in my freezer that has taken me months to eat.

I feel like a normal person, that just gets full on a small amount. Sometimes I'll forget that I've had the surgery and it takes sometime to figure out the portion sizes, but I am getting better now. It should be noted that vomiting isn't the only sign that you've overeaten with this surgery. I have only thrown up only once to date, and that was from taking too many Vitamins at once, and taking them with ice tea.. (it apparently didn't agree with me.) It is possible to overeat and be in pain until the food goes down. Of course, this is bad to do. So I am really committed NOT to overeat and really pay attention to the first signs of fullness. The most likely reason that I've tended to overeat is when out with friends at a resturant. I order a normal size meal (or appetizer or even kids meal) because if I only order something tiny like just a cup of Soup, many times people start asking questions. It is easy to forget how much you've eaten, talking with friends and it can take a while for your brain to catch up with your stomach. So I pay attention now to avoid overeating in social situations and get my box to go (and then go on to enjoy the rest of the leftovers over 2-4 meals :)

Every week, my pants get looser.. I am throwing out underwear that is too big for me. It is so exciting to know that I will only down in size! Enjoy your WLS success.. I am!