Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help with protein

I know it's discussed SO much.. but I need help with Protein. I made a nice chocolate shake today with powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and PB2 (powdered peanut butter) total of 41g of protein. Hoping to get it done for Breakfast and have most of my protein in for the day. But I can't finish it! I'm full and sick of it. I have the little shots, but they are tasting nasty to me anymore. Does anyone have a secret? During this liquid/mushy/hardly eating phase... I just want a small amount of something to drink that has a whole bunch of protein in it. How are you getting your protein in?? Help me out????

THANKS!

Even now, at three months out, it's not easy for me to drink a whole Protein shake. It takes me most of the morning. What I can do to boost my numbers is add two scoops of my vanilla Protein powder to one cup of skim milk and then I mix it into my chai spiced tea or coffee. It makes a 14-16 ounce drink but has twice the Protein. Unless your Protein Powder already lists two scoops as a serving, or if you can't afford the calories/carbs, this might work for you.

The shots are a small amount but they're not as good as the whey in the powders, anyway. And yes, they are nasty.

If you're cleared for it, a small pouch of tuna has about 20 grams of protein in it, and it was fairly easy for me to get down within a 30 minute timeframe. I mix mine with 2 tsp of mayo and a tsp of dill relish and it goes down pretty easily. Cottage cheese was also an easy food for me at this point, and a 1/4 cup has about 20 grams of protein. Sometimes I needed a warm food because nothing else would go down. That's when I started the hot tea/coffee drinks, because they do go down easier for me. You can also do the unjury chicken Soup protein mix if warm helps things go down easier. There's also the option of making a sludge, like bodybuilders do. You mix one Tbs of Peanut Butter with one scoop of your protein powder (I've used chocolate and Peanut Butter chocolate mixes) and add a tiny bit of Water until it mixes together. I toss in mini chocolate chips, too - just a couple. It's like eating peanut butter off the spoon. I don't like the super sweetness of it, but it's gone in three or four bites, so it's an easy way to knock out 30 grams of protein. Also, I found that super sweet things (like a chocolate peanut butter shake or the sludge) are harder for me to finish so I have to keep the portions small. My sweet tooth is gone, so I'm never able to finish my peanut butter chocolate shakes or my mint chocolate chip ones.

And, as a last resort, consider getting a protein powder that has a better balance of protein/calories/carbs if yours is high in any one of them. My protein has 110 calories, 27 grams of protein and less than one carb per scoop. It's easy to double it up or make it into a sludge and hit protein goals without worrying about too many carbs or calories.

Good luck, I hope it gets easier for you.

~Cheri

I know it's discussed SO much.. but I need help with Protein. I made a nice chocolate shake today with unjury and PB2 (powdered peanut butter) total of 41g of Protein. Hoping to get it done for Breakfast and have most of my protein in for the day. But I can't finish it! I'm full and sick of it. I have the little shots, but they are tasting nasty to me anymore. Does anyone have a secret? During this liquid/mushy/hardly eating phase... I just want a small amount of something to drink that has a whole bunch of protein in it. How are you getting your protein in?? Help me out????

THANKS!

I eat alot of cottage cheese 1/2 cup has 13gm of protein I also drink 1 slimfast low carb creamy choc shake a day 20gm protein I hope this might help you some.

I eat alot of cottage cheese 1/2 cup has 13gm of Protein I also drink 1 slimfast low carb creamy choc shake a day 20gm Protein I hope this might help you some.

heated 1/2 cup ricotta cheese with a spoon of spagetti sauce and parmesan- 15grams

Thank you guys so much for the tips. I will try the ricotta/sauce thing.. in fact I have those ingredients here. I will try the tuna now too.. hopefully I'll be ready for that.

I WISH I liked cottage cheese. I absolutely hate it. My Protein powder is unjury, but I didn't know if there was another brand that has more Protein per scoop? 27g is pretty good. Unjury is 20g. Cheri... what brand do you use, and how is the taste?

I even froze milk into ice cubes, so I can get the added protein from milk ice cubes, instead of regular Water ice cubes.

My goal is 60g per day. Is that a good goal? How about you guys? If I try for 50g, do you think it would matter? lol.... I am terrified of my hair falling out!!!

Yes they are excellent ideas. My favorite is the sludge idea. I've been doing Protein powders for many years now so I really don't have an issue with them at all. In fact I kind of like them. I have so many too, at least 4 months worth! :lol:

Anyway, even with that - thisis the first time I've heard of the sludge. Really! You learn something new every day.

I use Allmax IsoFlex - I have the chocolate mint, Peanut Butter chocolate and vanilla. I would never drink the vanilla as just a shake, because they don't taste good to me, but it's perfect for making drinks with coffee, tea or fresh berries. If you want to try it without buying a tub online, I got my samples from Vitalady's site. I think the numbers on the PB and mint ones are a tiny bit different - still 27 g Protein but two grams of carbs instead of less than one.

I don't know about everyone else's cottage cheese, but this local German brand I buy has 19 grams of Protein in 1/4 cup of cottage cheese. Who knew there was such a difference?

There are differing opinions on protein. When I'm not having issues eating, I aim high - at least 75 grams a day, preferably close to 100 grams a day. Some studies show that we should have that much post weight loss, especially once we start working out. However, on the flip side there are studies that say going too high in protein isn't good, either, particularly if you're keeping carbs very low. I think the number most people aim for is at least 60 grams of protein. You'll get to a point where that's not really that hard to hit. In fact, if you liked the IsoFlex, you could have that for breakfast. Two scoops of protein plus one cup of skim milk (mixed in with coffee or tea) will get you 67 grams of protein.

Protein is the most important thing that you can eat post op. You need it not only for your hair, but to keep your body from devouring all of your muscle instead of the fat. We starve without protein. Hair loss is just one part of the problem.

Good luck finding a protein powder you like!

~Cheri

Yes they are excellent ideas. My favorite is the sludge idea. I've been doing Protein powders for many years now so I really don't have an issue with them at all. In fact I kind of like them. I have so many too, at least 4 months worth! :lol:

Anyway, even with that - thisis the first time I've heard of the sludge. Really! You learn something new every day.

Diva, you can google Protein sludge and threads on other boards and even videos on how to make sludge will come up. My DH is in the Army and one of the guys he works with is a serious bodybuilder, which is the only reason I even know about it.

There are a ton of different ways to do it, too - vanilla or chocolate protein plus Peanut Butter, some people add in nuts or fresh fruit, some people freeze it like frozen yogurt, some people eat it with SF maple Syrup. It's nuts. Just remember to scale down the recipes since your goal is different than their goals. They're trying to get in lots of calories and carbs because of their intense workouts, and we just want a protein fix.

~Cheri

Diva, you can google Protein sludge and threads on other boards and even videos on how to make sludge will come up. My DH is in the Army and one of the guys he works with is a serious bodybuilder, which is the only reason I even know about it.

There are a ton of different ways to do it, too - vanilla or chocolate Protein plus Peanut Butter, some people add in nuts or fresh fruit, some people freeze it like frozen yogurt, some people eat it with SF maple Syrup. It's nuts. Just remember to scale down the recipes since your goal is different than their goals. They're trying to get in lots of calories and carbs because of their intense workouts, and we just want a protein fix.

~Cheri

Awesome thanks! B)

I know it's discussed SO much.. but I need help with Protein. I made a nice chocolate shake today with unjury and PB2 (powdered peanut butter) total of 41g of Protein. Hoping to get it done for breakfast and have most of my protein in for the day. But I can't finish it! I'm full and sick of it. I have the little shots, but they are tasting nasty to me anymore. Does anyone have a secret? During this liquid/mushy/hardly eating phase... I just want a small amount of something to drink that has a whole bunch of protein in it. How are you getting your protein in?? Help me out????

THANKS!

I had my sleeve done on Sep 24th and I too am having the same problem. In 2 days I can start full mushies and this protein liquid thing is beyond tough.

I just had some baked chicken thighs - boneless, skinless baked in chicken broth, lightly puree'd... hard boiled eggs, grated... mushed together with some mayo and mustard... very good! Packed with protein!

good for you with your meal diva. i tried some tuna today but a few hours later.. well let's just say it wasn't pleasant. the throwing up makes me revert back to liquids to rest my stomach. I'll never get my Protein from food if I can't eat anything. ugh... I know, I know.. it's still early for me.. right?

avilda, thanks.. will check that link out!

If I try for 50g, do you think it would matter? lol.... I am terrified of my hair falling out!!!

Jordien - I tried powdered mixes and just got tired of the taste but mostly the texture. On the gritty side. Ick.

I drink prepared shakes - premier nutrition, chocolate. 30g Protein in 11oz. Takes me a little over an hour to drink it. 160calories in the shake. 5g carbs. I can't remember the fat grams and am much too busy watching Glee to get off my tush ;)

But! I haven't tired of these drinks. I started drinking one a day at one month out and now I'm over 4 mos out. If you used these as Breakfast and lunch, there ya go - 60g Protein for the day and under 400 cals. Still enough calories left to have dinner and actually chew something.

As for the hair loss...what I found helped me most is Folic Acid vitamins/supplements. I take Multivitamins and add a folic acid pill (we're TTC) and that's seemed to work. There were 2 weeks where I sucked it up on the folic acid and THAT'S when my hair came out in clumps. So, moral of the story? It was at 4 mos out, which is typical due to anesthesia, but adding folic acid pretty much halted the excessive Hair loss. Win-win.

Jordi you are only 5 days behind me. You should be able to eat tuna by now, however (and I know you've heard this a billion times already) everyone's different. It sounds like your tummy is just taking a lot longer to get into the food groove.

You are doing the right thing tho by resting your tummy after the episodes... good for you!

Hugs! I hope it starts getting right soon. :unsure: I mean, I have to admit - I didn't start feeling more myself until I was able to get my Protein in naturally. I still fight some morning fatigue but as the day goes on I feel better.

Maybe try some chicken instead? That was my first trial with natural Protein besides eggs. :( Hope that helps...