Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post band and tongue is really red

I was banded this past Wednesday. Yesterday my tongue was coated with a white substance but didn't think much of it. When I brushed my teeth and tongue this morning, I found that my tongue is very red, and my gums are tender too. Also, my throat is hurting (in a different place than it did from the intubation).

Also, I am feeling kinda weak because I haven't had enough nourishment. I have only been able to get down Water, Propel, chicken broth, and watered down yogurt (but not much yogurt). How did yall get enough nourishment to keep you from feeling weak.

Thank you so much for being here for me. :clap2: I have never thought of myself as a big baby, but I must admit I'm scared. :help: Thanks.

Sharon

Call your doctor.

No one here can give you medical advice regarding all the possible consequences. It might be an infection, but I don't really know.

I had no symtoms like yours.

Call your doctor.

hey suchadiva!

i would call dr spivak first thing monday morning. are you getting in alot of Protein? i was banded last monday and i just didn't feel like drinking or eating and i was so tired as a result of it. the first three days i was on chxn broth, Water, sf Jello. by the fourth day i started having cream Soups, sf pudding, mashed potatoes. 4-6 oz at a time mind you. i was able to drink more Water too. don't let yourself get dehydrated. you should've started on soft foods saturday if you are going by dr spivaks instructions. sounds like you need more substance.

cutiern:D

Using what I have seen in my nursing experience it sounds like you could have candida in your mouth but of course get in touch with your doctor or go to an urgent care clinic. It is easily treated with fungal mouth rinses.

It sounds to me like you are detoxing. One of my many diet attempts was the Lemonade diet. When you are fasting (which is what you are essentially doing) your body gets rid of toxins. My tongue was white and coated for about a week before it started getting pink again. According to the diet you are done detoxing when you tongue goes back to pink.

I am curious about your procedure with Dr. Spivak since if I am approved, he will be my surgeon.

You were intubated for the surgery which means you were under a general is that correct?

Before surgery, did he have you do a low carb diet for thirty days? This is what he has asked me to do. Did you have to do anything else before the procedure? Did you go home the day of the procedure? I understand that I should expect to be out of commission for 4-5 days. That sounds like what you have been experiencing. Have you been able to walk or are you sore and in bed most of the time?

Are you drinking Protein drinks at all? It really helps with the tired weak feeling.

As for your tounge, I have heard of that happening. Like Penni says it most likely candida overgroth, or thrush. Easily rid of.

Jut spoke with Dr. Spivak and he said it is Thrush - a type of candida. I had started getting white ulcers in my mouth and frankly, I was getting worried.

He gave me a medication to rinse my mouth with and asked me to follow up with my primary care doctor tomorrow. He assured me that the candida could not travel to the surgical area.:clap2: Thanks for the support. Having this forum for support has been wonderful.

TO RLittman:

I really like Dr. Spivak. Spivak did recommend that I go on a low carb/high Protein diet prior to surgery - I don't think that he required 30 days though. I did not have 30 days between my first consultation and the day of surgery. Honestly, I did not follow the low carb diet very well.

I am 5 days post-op and I have been able to walk and be out of bed the whole time. I did have a problem with nausea post-op, became dehydrated, and had to spend the night in the hospital. I was fine after that. I think it would be reasonable to say that you needed 5 to 7 days to return to work. Hope I answered your question.

Hi

Since being banded I keep getting oral thrush on and off.....I either just use daktaren jel or mycostatin for a day or so and it is gone....I have no idea why this happens as I have never had it before in my life...also sometimes it starts I brush my mouth,use mouth wash and then it goes again....so it is ealily treated,just not sure why it happens....

Hi desertmom:

That's strange that you have repeated bouts of Thrush. I hope I don't get it again. Did you ever ask your doctor if the infection could move down into your stomach? I was worried about it. The doctor today told me that I could - which kinda worried me since I am only 6 days post surgery. He have me some medicine to swirl in my mouth and some Diflucan and assured me it wouldn't spread.

Hi

It must have something to do with restriction and what I eat and dont when restricted.It has never spread.I had an endo a month ago and even my esophagus (whatwith all the heartburn and reflux I had in the last year) looks great...so,who knows....I do however take an inhaled crotico steroid for my lungs and that might also cause it....however I do rinse my mouth after using it.

Good luck with your band.

hello I also had this problem after surgery and doctor and I both thought

it was thrush. I was given the diflocan and the mouth rinse but things seems

to get alittle better but then for no reason then it would be back and sometimes worse. Finally after 4mos. of on and off different meds and several

different doctors and dentists I went to an oral surgeon and he did a biopsy

on my gums low and behold it wasn't thrush at all it was an autoimmune

disease call pemphigus. This is brought on by trauma my trauma was my

band surgery. Its very rare and more than likely not what you have. I just

thought I would throw that out to you just in case you don't respond to the

thrush meds and they can test you for it if it doesnt clear up.

RLittman,

When I attended the WLS Seminar, my surgeon said she requires her patients to do at least a two week pre-op diet, but sometimes she has them diet longer -- a month or more -- depending on the concentration of belly fat. The purpose is to shrink the liver prior to surgery and to avoid having to do an open procedure.

hello I also had this problem after surgery and doctor and I both thought

it was thrush. I was given the diflocan and the mouth rinse but things seems

to get alittle better but then for no reason then it would be back and sometimes worse. Finally after 4mos. of on and off different meds and several

different doctors and dentists I went to an oral surgeon and he did a biopsy

on my gums low and behold it wasn't thrush at all it was an autoimmune

disease call pemphigus. This is brought on by trauma my trauma was my

band surgery. Its very rare and more than likely not what you have. I just

thought I would throw that out to you just in case you don't respond to the

thrush meds and they can test you for it if it doesnt clear up.

Mayflower, what meds or treatment do you take for your auto immune disease? Do you have other symptoms? Do you think that your immune system is reacting to the foreign band? Is there a theory about why the immune system is acting up? Thanks!

Amy