Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello VSG Family!

I have a quick question. How does your stomach let you know that you've had enough to eat/drink? Do you feel pain, nausea, tightness...? I am definitely wanting to know. I am nearly 3 weeks out and I think I can eat more than other sleevers. I am losing weight - 20+lbs since surgery. Yesterday I had my 2 week check up and I told my doctor that I did not feel a lot of restriction, he did not have a lot to say. He looked at my weightloss, removed my stiches, asked how much I ate and said I am doing fine.

Don't worry, I am not obsessed - as i know I am doing fine. I just want to know how to better listen to my sleeve.

Thanks in advance for reading,

Janice

I'm about the same time out as you, and I def. don't feel I can eat a lot. For me... I feel nausea, and two times I threw up. I asked myself.. did i eat too much, too fast or the wrong thing? Every time it's a guessing game. My doc told me it would take a lot of time and a lot of trial and error and to just go easy. I make sure to measure out 1/4 cup of food only. I don't trust myself to just eat until I feel full, because I'm afraid it's too late. By the time I feel the too full feeling/nausea, I've already eaten too much. So I am just measuring it out and having it and being done.

Hope that helps!

I'm about the same time out as you, and I def. don't feel I can eat a lot. For me... I feel nausea, and two times I threw up. I asked myself.. did i eat too much, too fast or the wrong thing? Every time it's a guessing game. My doc told me it would take a lot of time and a lot of trial and error and to just go easy. I make sure to measure out 1/4 cup of food only. I don't trust myself to just eat until I feel full, because I'm afraid it's too late. By the time I feel the too full feeling/nausea, I've already eaten too much. So I am just measuring it out and having it and being done.

Hope that helps!

Thank you Jordien!

Your post did help. The problem is that I have never felt nausea after eating and I have never thrown up. However, I can definitely eat more than 1/4 cup of food. Maybe, I will have more restriction when I hit solids..

Thanks,

Janice

liquids aren't going to give a huge amount of restriction. Once you hit more solid food, even mushies, you'll feel more restriction. Measuring is a good habit to get into so you don't experience any of the negatives of overeating.

Your body is still healing so your nerves have been severed, stapled off, and aren't working properly so you might not get a full signal. I didn't get one for several months, and even then I thought "ehhh I'm okay with one more bite" and that one more bite came back up. I didn't recognize hiccups as a full signal, but then I finally figured it out.

liquids aren't going to give a huge amount of restriction. Once you hit more solid food, even mushies, you'll feel more restriction. Measuring is a good habit to get into so you don't experience any of the negatives of overeating.

Your body is still healing so your nerves have been severed, stapled off, and aren't working properly so you might not get a full signal. I didn't get one for several months, and even then I thought "ehhh I'm okay with one more bite" and that one more bite came back up. I didn't recognize hiccups as a full signal, but then I finally figured it out.

Tiff,

Thank you for your reply! I am on mushies now - and the signal is still not really presenting its self. Last night I did go to sleep with the feeling that my food was not "down" all the way. However, I did not really contribute that as a full signal. After you said hiccups, I put two and two together. I will start measuring in order to ensure that I am not overeating.

Thanks so much for your post!

Janice

Tiff,

Thank you for your reply! I am on mushies now - and the signal is still not really presenting its self. Last night I did go to sleep with the feeling that my food was not "down" all the way. However, I did not really contribute that as a full signal. After you said hiccups, I put two and two together. I will start measuring in order to ensure that I am not overeating.

Thanks so much for your post!

Janice

Yeah, it's tough to figure it all out early on. Also, as time goes by, you'll be able to eat more. I can now eat double what I could at 2-3 months post-op and that is completely normal. Your body is still adjusting, and you'll figure out your own full signal. My girlfriend gets the sniffles/runny nose as her full signal which is totally weird, but if she doesn't stop eating after her nose starts running/sniffling, she's a little uncomfortable, and usually has to get that last bite out of her sleeve.

I can only eat 2 or 3 bites and then I'm done. Any more than that and I have to take the GAS-X strips to calm my stomach.

I've also learned if I eat anything with carbs, I immediately don't feel well. If its just meat or cheese, I feel fine. So I'm now going to do an Atkins type of diet.

Lots of learning. =)

I can only eat 2 or 3 bites and then I'm done. Any more than that and I have to take the GAS-X strips to calm my stomach.

I've also learned if I eat anything with carbs, I immediately don't feel well. If its just meat or cheese, I feel fine. So I'm now going to do an Atkins type of diet.

Lots of learning. =)

Hi Gayle,

I had difficulty with the "overcooked" Pasta my doc said was okay to eat. It kind of just sat there in my throat. I did not feel nauseated or anything - just the feeling that you get when a capsule doesn't seem to go all the way down. I did not know if it was the Pasta or the fact that I may have eaten too much or too fast. However, it stayed that way all night.

Thanks for the post!

Janice

Yeah, it's tough to figure it all out early on. Also, as time goes by, you'll be able to eat more. I can now eat double what I could at 2-3 months post-op and that is completely normal. Your body is still adjusting, and you'll figure out your own full signal. My girlfriend gets the sniffles/runny nose as her full signal which is totally weird, but if she doesn't stop eating after her nose starts running/sniffling, she's a little uncomfortable, and usually has to get that last bite out of her sleeve.

Tiff,

I have experienced weird bouts of sneezing and itchy throat - but I contributed it to allergies. Maybe, it is a signal - as it normally happens after eating.

Janice

Tiff,

I have experienced weird bouts of sneezing and itchy throat - but I contributed it to allergies. Maybe, it is a signal - as it normally happens after eating.

Janice

For me, when I am full, the food feels like it's coming up from my stomach into my esophagus.

Just try not to eat more food than the palm of your hand, is you're not measuring your food.

I get the hiccups and my Dr. said to only eat 1/2 a cup at a time when I got to semi-solid (phase 2, soup/cottage cheese). They said I would not start our by eating 1/2 cup but that should be my goal at this stage.

I eat a few bites and I get that super full feeling (Thanksgiving dinner full). It's such a trip from where I've come from. Yesterday I ordered a small side (so tiny) of some type of beef and mushrooms at Panda Express for lunch (trying to get that Protein in) and I ate probably a little over half. I used to be able to down a whole complete meal with 2 Entrees and rice and chow mein, and guzzle tons of diet pepsi, AND STILL HAVE ROOM FOR DESSERT LOL.

By the way with some foods I can eat more of than others. For some reason I can eat a lot of watermelon.

I'm 2 months out today and can eat a fair bit in one meal. I can generally eat a lot more at night than first thing in the morning. This morning, I couldn't even finish my Zone bar. Last night, I had a slice of thin crust pizza (no edge), about half a large meatball, and half a bowl of tiramisu. Was STUFFED. The night before, we went out for sushi and I had 7 slices of sashimi with a bit of rice - felt full in a pleasant way. I'm actually relieved to be able to eat a reasonable amount - I still don't eat very much, but I no longer get weird stares from waiters, etc, and feel comfortable going out to eat with people who don't know about my sleeve - I'll eat enough not to look strange.

I eat a few bites and I get that super full feeling (Thanksgiving dinner full). It's such a trip from where I've come from. Yesterday I ordered a small side (so tiny) of some type of beef and mushrooms at Panda Express for lunch (trying to get that Protein in) and I ate probably a little over half. I used to be able to down a whole complete meal with 2 Entrees and rice and chow mein, and guzzle tons of diet pepsi, AND STILL HAVE ROOM FOR DESSERT LOL.

By the way with some foods I can eat more of than others. For some reason I can eat a lot of watermelon.

I`m the same I go from 0% full to 100% full (Thanksgiving dinner full) within 1 bite. As for eating a lot of watermelon I think thats becouse its Water - melon.

I occasionally get the sneezing and mucus production when I am overful--Early on that would have been a foaming/throw up ending, now I just relax, breeth deeply, and stop eating of course and it passes. It is wierd how some days and some food types I just get full early and stop because I know it will hurt me to do anymore. You do get a good feeling for it especially after being on solids a bit.