Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pills POSTOP?

I never even thought about pills postop. I have all my Vitamins in pill form and my Calcium is horse pill sized. Can I take those as soon as I'm out of surgery? Yikes!

Probably not.. my surgeon has me on chewables and the kind that dissolve in your mouth. You may even be able to crush them that's a possibility.

my program stated not to take pills untill 1 month out, unless they are really small (dime size or smaller)

I was allowed to start taking small tablets and capsules from day 5. But it seems that I was fast tracked in most things, was on mushies by day 4. I am now almost a month out and took some pain killers for a headache today and they were a bit bigger than what I've had so far and it was pretty uncomfortable. So I would say go with dissolvables if you can! Good luck x

my Doc said that I have to crush anything I take for three months then I have to cut up in either half or 4 for the rst of my life because thay could cause obstruction

I had to crush my pills for the first 2 weeks, and then found that I could swallow the smaller pills -- I still take chewable vitamins (the non-chewables are huge!) -- I think that if your pills are tiny, it might be ok to swallow after a couple of weeks, but as others have said, the larger pills will take a while. :)

I was allowed to swallow pills a week post op. I could only get down the small ones: pepcid and Vitamin B ones. The larger ones I had to crush and dissolve in the Protein drink or in yogurt. I tried swallowing a gel Multivitamin and it was awful!! The Calcium I actually chewed. I wouldn't try swallowing horse sized pills. No way!

However, three months post op, I can now swallow full all my vitamins!

My program said I could take pills as long as no bigger then asprin- My muti-vita is chewable, B-1, Biotin and prilosic is small I take whole my calcium citrate I have to crush because even when I cut in 4s seem to get stuck in my throat don't really understand why. Good luck! :)