Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, lately I have been experiencing some major head hunger and cravings. I keep thinking about the foods that I won't be able to enjoy and eat like I used to. I am craving soda really bad too. Does anyone else deal with cravings/head hunger?? If so, how do you deal with it??

In varying degrees, most of us will suffer from head hunger, from time to time.

At 4 months out, I can say that I deal with it much better than I did in the beginning. Fortunately, I find that I want to eat healthier. Sweets and fatty foods don't even appeal to me anymore. I just hope it stays that way.

Yeah I think it will always be there. I LONG to be someone who says these words: "Sweets and Fatty foods just don't appeal to me anymore!" That would be true success to me for me to not even want them. I see myself leading to that place though!!

I think the head hunger gets worse as the months go along. That's why it's so important to set up good eating habits and make sure to have a good support team in your corner. There's something about the first six months (so I've read) where we want to do everything right and not step on the boundaries, but that it lessens as time goes on.

What I do is to make sure I get enough food/protein so that I'm not hungry. I've also incorporated a lot of exercise into my life as something to fill the hours that I used to spend "thinking about food, planning about food, eating food". Someone in one of my first support groups said that we have spent so much time revolving around food that post op we need to find something new. Some pick crafts, shopping, computer and some pick exercise. I prayed that day that mine would be exercise.

I gave up soda and never looked back so I haven't had those cravings. I allow myself to eat anything and everything but it's often 1 bite. I'd rather have the 1 bite and move on then to obsess about it and make myself crazy. The Sleeve is amazing in that it takes so little to fill us up, especially when we follow the dense Protein first. That is the greatest miracle to me. Not a lot of room left for "junk". I don't keep anything with white flour in my house and make sure not to have things like crackers or other slider foods because they go down too easy and the calories add up quickly.

Good luck! We all go through this.

Lee -

I think the thing that worries me is this:

To me, everything you have described and my experience w/ head hunger are two completely different things.

I can do all those "right" things now. But my having a lovely meal with a good Protein, couple of veggies and maybe a whole grain roll does not stop me from "head hunger" a couple of hours later.

That's my fear.

Head hunger, for me, is a LOT about triggers. I envy people who can eat 1 bite and be happy with it. One time, years ago, we were at a football game and my BF bought a 4 pack of Reese Peanut Butter cups. He took one, his daughter took one, his son took one. (I don't like chocolate.) They threw the 4th one away. That was like watching someone walk up and preform open heart surgery in the grandstands. I mean, who does that? Who takes 1 cup from the pack and passes it on? Who throws the last one away because you've had one? This was years ago and it's still a vivid memory.

I really worry what will happen when my head is pulling the trigger and my stomach cannot answer the call. Head hunger is my only fear in this whole situation. I have no clue if I will be able to cope or not.

It has been less than 1 month since my surgery and I have just started mushy meals 5 days ago. So far, I am finding that it only takes a few bites and I am full, but have had the "head hunger" thinking I am forgetting to do something, make something and feel "what would I like?". This is all so new to me and I hope to learn from all of you, but the "head hunger" caught my eye. The lap band did nothing for me and also left behind a lot of damage. I am praying everyday, that I will continue to have this feeling of being full and get on with life and not focus on food.< /p>

I would have eaten that 4th PB cup whether I like chocolate or not. :)

You will have time to come up with all sorts of coping mechanisms. I've never before been able to take one bite either, but now I seem to be able to. Keep your eye on the prize. Remember why you're doing this. Think about health risks that you may have today.

For me, I hold "GOAL" in front of me and stay focused on that. I know that if I allow more than one bite, I may never get to goal. I plod along day to day. Lot's of exercise and for the most part, follow my Kaiser plan of eating 3x a day and getting Protein from food. That said, I've been known to add a Protein shake to my day.

Don't spend your time worrying. Spend your time building a good support network, but where you live and online. Find a group that you can be honest with. I'm in a forum on Obesityhelp that works well for me. Find your spot and cultivate it.

You'll be fine! Watching the pounds come off, you won't want to wreck it! :)

Lee -

I think the thing that worries me is this:

To me, everything you have described and my experience w/ head hunger are two completely different things.

I can do all those "right" things now. But my having a lovely meal with a good Protein, couple of veggies and maybe a whole grain roll does not stop me from "head hunger" a couple of hours later.

That's my fear.

Head hunger, for me, is a LOT about triggers. I envy people who can eat 1 bite and be happy with it. One time, years ago, we were at a football game and my BF bought a 4 pack of Reese Peanut Butter cups. He took one, his daughter took one, his son took one. (I don't like chocolate.) They threw the 4th one away. That was like watching someone walk up and preform open heart surgery in the grandstands. I mean, who does that? Who takes 1 cup from the pack and passes it on? Who throws the last one away because you've had one? This was years ago and it's still a vivid memory.

I really worry what will happen when my head is pulling the trigger and my stomach cannot answer the call. Head hunger is my only fear in this whole situation. I have no clue if I will be able to cope or not.

I can relate to the Peanut Butter cup story. My college aged son came into my office one afternoon. He'd stopped at the vending machine and bought a Snickers bar. After half of it, he said he was full. He offered the second half to me and when I turned it down, he threw it away. I WAS SHOCKED! Who throws away half of a candy bar? Who, for that matter, even considers stopping before the candy bar is gone????? People who don't have weight problems, that's who. Never me. :-( He actually did the exact same thing again very recently. It gives me great hope that he'll never suffer from the kind of eating and weight issues that I have.

What about real hunger? Everything I've heard says that the hormone that makes us feel hungry is cut out of the 2/3 of your stomach that is removed. I am almost four weeks out and I still feel real hunger (as well as head hunger). Does that mean it didn't work for me?