Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A happy GPS, Gastric Plication Surgery, man

Hello everyone,

I?m Ken and I had GPS, Gastric Plication Surgery, by Dr. Watkins Sept 22nd, 2010. My weight was 228lbs on the day of surgery ( I?m a 62 yr old man, a little over 5? 11? with a 32 BMI ) and ten days later I weigh 216lbs. As far as how much weight I want to lose it is whatever weight loss it takes to permanently resolve my diabetes.

I want to give a big thank you to your forum members for sharing their experiences and questions. In viewing your forum I was introduced to Dr. Watkins? thorough explanations of GPS and exactly how and why he does the surgery. I was impressed by how he always searches out and repairs any hiatal hernia. If you don't have a hernia he still takes his time to optimize the size of your hiatus. He also has you reduce any H. Pylori bacteria before surgery to ensure your fastest recovery. He is sooo thorough! He also uses the smallest diameter tools so your five little cuts in your abdomen are 5mm wide, not 10mm, as some other surgeons leave. I live in CA and other surgeons are closer and some charge less but not one of them takes the time to respond to questions as he does on the forum. When I emailed him with my specific questions he responded quickly and answered my questions fully. His positive attitude and enthusiasm for helping others is a delight to experience. I was to find him just as helpful on the phone and in person. As is his wonderful staff. I cannot think of any way that Dr. Watkins, his staff and his Surgery Center could have made my life changing experience any better, easier or more comfortable.

My sole reason for having GPS was to help me resolve my Type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed over three and a half years ago and lately the maximum allowable dosage of Metformin was failing to control my glucose. I had been following Dr. Rubino?s surgery to resolve diabetes but had been reluctant to have my duodenum bypassed due to the possible complications. I was leaning towards Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy but when I read about Gastric Plication/Imbrication Surgery and how there was no cutting of the stomach I scoured the net for more info. The more info I got the more intrigued I was. I tell friends that it is the only ?non surgical surgery? I?ve seen since no organ is cut. Not having to worry about leakage and being able to retain my whole stomach made me decide to have GPS.

I called Dr. Watkins' office and Kristin, who has an infectious laugh, sent me their forms. After sending them back a phone appointment was set up so I could talk with staff and then Dr. Watkins. That was a great experience. Everyone was helpful and upbeat. Especially Dr. Watkins. We talked until I was emptied of questions and he had explained everything in great detail. A week and a half later I was meeting his Super Staff and then sitting and talking even more with Dr. Watkins.

I returned early the next morning for surgery. I awakened after surgery around 11AM and was walking and drinking an hour later. I felt pretty good. Dr. Watkins came by and gave me details of the surgery and some great photos of my new stomach and the hiatal hernia repair. He had called family members after surgery since I had come alone. That afternoon I ate 8oz of yogurt with no difficulty. An hour after eating I was able to drink 8oz of Tomato juice in 10 minutes. I?ve had no nausea or vomiting. I had, and still have to a much lesser degree, what I describe as a dull ache in my chest. Dr. Watkins says it is due to both my hiatal hernia repair and the fact that the stomach swells after being folded and stitched. He said that this pain/aching usually disappears within one to two weeks. Pain was never more than a 3 out of 10 and that was in the first couple of days. Since then a 1 or a 2 max. I was surprised by how little pain I have had. I walked the hall quite a bit that day and evening. My nurses were friendly and at times downright funny. Early the next morning I left the Surgery Center for my hotel. I walked over a mile that afternoon and had a good nights sleep.

The second day after surgery I rented a car and drove to the National Museum of the Airforce, about 20 miles north of West Chester. What a fabulous museum! I walked for four hours seeing aircraft from the Wright Brothers era to now. Take time to see this if you have any interest in aviation. I was definitely tired that night but so pleased that I had gotten to see it. Early the next morning I flew back to CA. That day and the next were my two sorest days. Soreness lessens every day. I?ve continued to walk daily and am back on my bike. I?ve been eating solids (scrambled eggs with diced ham, ground beef, chicken soft tacos, bananas, refried Beans and more) since the 6th day after surgery. I can only eat about 8oz and I am full. Three times I ate a little too much and had a mild stomach ache.

To say that I am thrilled with my progress so far is an understatement.

If you are considering Gastric Plication Surgery and you want a highly skilled, bright and reassuring Doctor who will give you an extraordinary amount of his time before and after surgery I urge you to email or call Dr. Watkins and his wonderful staff. I?ve never known a Doctor who is both so accessible and so interested in helping you make your life dramatically better.

Ken

GPS 9-22-10

by Dr. Brad Watkins

Cincinnati Weight Loss Center

Surgery weight 228

10-2-10 weight 216

Sounds like you are doing great. Gratz on taking control of your health. Best of luck on beating diabetes.

Congratulations on having your surgery done. Dr. Watkins sounds like a great surgeon. I hope your diabetes resolves soon, and you can live the life you want.