Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:)Hi Ladies.

Today is my first post. I was banded Wednesday (6/7) by Dr. Spivak in Houston. I must say that Dr. Spivak is wonderful and his staff is very nice.

Everything went will the day of surgery but that evening I begain to feel nauseated and had a BAD headache. No matter how little I drink or what I drank I just became more nauseated. The next morning I felt really bad, nauseated, dizzy, weak, and a BAD headache. I spoke with Dr. Spivak's office several times and they had me try a bunch of different things, but nothing worked. Finally I felt so bad I went to the hospital. The problem was that I was dehydrated. I couldn't get enough Fluid down because of the nausea - I never threw up. Once they gave me some IV fluids and something really strong for the headache - I felt better.

I also have vaso-vagal depression which means that my heart gets every irratic, fast then slow and my blood pressure goes up and down too. It is a very uncomfortable feeling. Because I was dehydated, I had a vagal episode in the hospital too - it past after a while. Hopefully I will be able to stay hydrated from no on.

How much Water do yall drink - how much a one time and how often? I really am worried about getting dehydrated again.

Dr. Spivak was very nice in the hospital also. They took good care of me. I wanted to stay another night because I was scared it would happen again but they said i would be fine and that I should leave.

So far, this morning is good. My mouth feels dry from time to time and I am drinking pretty well. I have had two 10oz glasses so far today.

Thanks for reading this - I hope I won't be so long winded in the future. Thanks.

Suchadiva

Hi! I just now joined this site. I'm in Houston and thinking of having the surgery. Hope you're doing better. I have a life-long friend in Pennsylvania who had the surgery several years ago and is doing just great. It changed her life. I'm hoping I can have the surgery. Just wanted to send you support! MRJ

Hi! I am new to the site. My surgery date is July 25. A little nervous. Just want to wish you luck and feel better soon. I'm glad today is a better day for you.

Em

Hi Em and MRJ:

Thanks for your support. This website is wonderful for us banders. Thanks for your thoughts.

suchadiva:)

Hi, I have just started actively looking into this procedure and if I do it, I will also be using Dr. Spivak. After looking at different alternatives, I think I would like the band since it seems less invasive, and has fewer complications. However, what made you decide to go with the band and not the bypass?

I know someone who had the bypass and has lost A LOT of weight with no complications and NO sagging skin. My mom, on the otherhand, knows someone that had the bypass and has had to have heart surgery as a result of complications (infection and clot). I am planning on going to one of his seminars to learn more, but I would like to know a little from here before I go to that. I mean, if food cravings never go away, then what is the point of loosing the weight and then fighting food for the rest of your life. I absolutely hate being overweight and not being able to do the things I want to do with my children.

My question is, if I could stop eating and lose weight on my own then I wouldn't need the surgery, right? So what is going to change so that I lose the pounds? Am I just UNABLE to eat? Is my stomach going to be full to the point where I don't WANT to eat anything else? What makes a good candidate? I would think that it is a safe bet that not 100% of people that get the surgery have medical issues that make them unable to lose the weight otherwise. I mean, I'm sure a vast majority of people are overweight because they love food sooo much that they just continue to eat regarless of the need. Is this surgery going to help with that "need" to eat? Is there counseling that goes along with this?

I know there are a lot of question, but I really need to know if this is something I should consider to look into, or just go on another diet...

Try GLACEAU "Smart Water" its electrolyte enhanced Water, like gatoraide, but it has no flavor. It just tastes like water. The one place I can find them here is Super Target. Hope this helps. It has helped me stay hydrated!

Soccermom:

I decided on lapband for several reasons: less complications, less invasive, it''s reversible, and at 70 pounds to lose, I didn't think by-pass was for me.

I don't think food cravings are going to go away. The way I believe the band works is that the small stoma created by the band does not hold a lot of food and it empties very slowly. So you are full quickly and stay full for quite some time.

I am only 7 days post surgery. So far I am only able to eat about l/2 - l cup of Soup or mushies (very soft veggies, mashed potatoes). At that point I feel full and I am full for several hours. I'm hoping that this will continue - it is working for me.

There are some things that I just will not be able to eat again. bread and Pasta to name a couple. I have read that some people can stomach this but since bread was one of my downfalls, I will just not try it.

I think the band is just a tool to help us reign in our eating. It will be up to us to make sure that we eat in a way that let's the band work for us.

I am happy so far - I have not been hungry and when I am, I eat a small amount and feel full. Right now I'm eating some tortilla Soup (minus the tortillas and the chicken - I'm still on mushie foods only) and it's really good. I have had about 3/4 cup or less and I am full and it tasted really good.

Dr. Spivak told me he felt I was a good candidate for band surgery because I had been able to lose weight in the past but always gained it back (plus some). Hope this helps - good luck to you.

I'm in Houston, and having surgery with Spiegel. My friend had her surgery with him, and has been very successful. I need to lose about 80-90lbs. I DO excercise quite a bit. I had knee surgery in the past, and after I hit 40 and had my first kid, everything slowed way down. Does that port thing interfer with bending and stretching? Do you feel like you are having sugar lows from not eating enough? I'm just a bit nervous- but also excited- ~Paula in Houston:nervous

Suchadiva and anyone else who can help,

The one thing I'm very nervous about after I have my surgery in July is how to eat. I've read everything about the first two weeks post op. But when they say mushies, can you give me examples. Potatoes, vegetables etc. Do you puree everything or use very small pieces and break with the back of your fork. Do you have interesting recipes.

The other problem I'm worried about is when I leave for vacation. I'm having surgery on July 11th and I go on vacation Aug. 5th. What am I going to eat? At that point I will be almost 4 weeks post op. Help! I'm so nervous about the PB's. Like so many people have said, it's trial and error. However, I don't want to have many errors on vacation. I haven't told anyone about the surgery. I truly feel that this is very personal. My husband and mom are the only ones who know. I will be on vacation with friends and extended family. My eating habits will have changed drastically. How will I do this without opening any eyes?

Thanks.

Em

Hi PaulaA:

Sorry it took me so long to post a reply - my computer has been down. I worried about sugar lows too, but that hasn't been a problem for me so far. My port does not interfere with stretching or bending. The first week, I was sore so it did hurt to bend, but that past. Let me know how things go for you.

Hi EM1125:

Sorry about taking so long to reply - I have had computer problems.

I have been on the mushie stage for about 3 weeks now. I have eaten mashed potatoes, cauliflower and well cooked carrots (that I mash with my fork), summer squash, zuccini, fish, Soups (blenderized), oatmeal, and yogurt. I haven't had any problems with these foods. In the morning, I ususally have a Protein shake.

I am going on vacation also in early August. I have decided to wait and have my first fill after vacation.

I hope everything goes well for you. Let me know.

I had to jump in here and tell you girls about me...

I am reading your posts and smiling away... I was right where some of you are with your questions last November right before my surgery with Spivak.

I didn't want to have the bypass because I didn't want my innards re-routed and I was scared to death of complications, saggy skin, and all kinds of other stuff.

At 330+ pounds, I had nothing at all to lose. Insurance paid for mine and I thought what the heck... nothing else will KEEP the weight off for me. I don't eat 1/10th the quantity of foods that I used to. I joined 24 Hour Fitness (something the old Heather NEVER would have done). I have a LIFE for the first time in my life!

If any of you have any specific questions... feel free to PM me.

Oh, I drink AT LEAST 64 oz of Water a day, work out at LEAST 5 times a week.

(I included a picture of my before and "during")

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!

post-205332-13813133667747_thumb.jpg

SoccerMom" Your Doc should give you specific things that you can eat.

Yes, you can beat the band but if you are willing to work with it I think you'll find you are not as hungry and will have fewer cravings.

The following is based on my experience, but it can vary by individual. I am 8 weeks post-op.

I didn't want to eat much for days postop. It was hard just to get down a few ounces of liquid Protein for the first few days. I just wasn't hungry. I drank Isopure that you can get at GNC and a little sugar free Jello, and chicken broth. (Buy these things before you have surgery) Just to get a varitey I drained some chicken Soup and just ate the brooth. After a week of Liquid Protein and liquids, I moved to cottage cheese and refried Beans (with a little melted cheese on top) in addition to liquids. Only about an ounce total of Beans and cottage cheese, then after a few days maybe an ounce of each.

My Doc told me to eat every few hours. I just wasn't hungry. No cravings. (I did stop eating sugar 30 days before surgery to get that devil out of my system.)

After about 8 days I started eating some tuna fish with mayo. When I started eating meat it was just a few bites to begin with. If it went down OK then I tried some more meat at the next meal.

I added food a little at a time, trying new things. My first raw carrot was heaven! I just started salads last week. Now I eat everything, staying away from the carbs and sugar.

I never have had any problem with any food. BUT I was very careful with what I ate, and I CHEW, CHEW and CHEW some more. AND I practiced chewing food to a pulp BEFORE the surgery. Chewing at least a minute before swallowing. I also have the Vanguard Band that is known to be easier with food.

Good luck and my suggestion is to practice eating a few meals pre-op like you'll be doing post-op. Eating slow and chewing like crazy so you have an idea of what it will be like post-op. Stop eating before you are full. You don't have to do it every meal, just try it for one or two meals. Even pre-op, I was surprised that I got full faster by taking my time and chewing a lot. This is how you will probably be eating for the rest of your life with the band.

Tonight I went to dinner (first time with Mexican restaurant post-op) with my husband. He ordered a full meal and I ordered an appitizer. I ate about 1/4 of mine (mostly beans and cheese with some chicken, I didn't eat the tortilla), he ate the rest, his and mine! We finished eating at the same time. I was satisfied and still feel full 3 hours later.

I hope this helps.

thanks to everyone who posted on this thread.. and especially to HEATHERgurl for the pics!

I will have to do an intro... but the quickie is that I've lost the same 80 pounds 4 times in my adult life and have trouble keeping it off... this time last year I was in size 12's and some 10's... now I'm sucking in my gut for 20's AGAIN, and I'm disgusted.... I need a tool to help me keep the eating under control.......

thanks AGAIN!