Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When ere u able to eat a salad? Is anyone able to have a bite of a sub or pita?

So was just wondering when anyone was able to some salad I'm a week out and iv been craving a Greek salad but I know that won't be for a bit I tryed some sour crout and apple sauce that dint seem bad at all, do you think I could try some home made salsa? I'm scared if I try something I'll pop a hole in my stomach nd die! Also I was also wondering the dr gave me these pills to reduce the risk of alsars or gallstones and I have to take 3 a day do u think I really needa take them? One more thing is any of y'all able to have a bite of a subway sub or a pita from the pita pit

At one week out, most people here are still on liquids/purees etc. Maybe someone can post a link to a post surgery diet plan put out by one of the major surgery centers. Sounds like you may be pushing it a bit much.

One week out is way too soon to try course veggies and salsa. You have to give your new tummy time to heal and to prevent leaks. It is very important to follow the guidelines your surgeon gave you. Be careful and don't push. The liquids and mushies will be over before you know it.

Stop experimenting and follow your surgeon's guidelines. If he said you need to take pills for your gallbladder, then take them.

Whoa ... one week out and you are thinking salad, salsa and subs? Don't even go there for at least a month or so. You are healing!! Liquids and soft foods are the course for now. Think soft, bland and creamy (Soups, yogurt, etc.) .. foods that don't require a lot of work from your stomach for digestion. You will have those foods again that you like but just not now. You may even find your taste buds have changed too. We get used to eating certain things and even crave them but you may be surprised to learn that you may not even like some things. Mine was coffee and anything sweet .. my desire for either is completely gone. I am 5 months out now and I can eat whatever I want but I don't. I still choose the healthy route and the weight continues to drop.

Maybe check in with your nutritionist? Good luck and be good to yourself!

NO NO NO YOU GUYS OF course im not that stupid im wondering for the future WHEN you were able too like at 2,3,or 4 months when were able to eat some of this stuff, im thinking about a greek salad cuz im craving it i wouldnt actually go ahead and eat a week after i dont wanna DIE

LOL ok I first read this and thought damn this person is either brave or stupid (Sorry that was what I thought ) hehe.

A lot of doctors say no lettuce for awhile and I was like you I was craving a sub, something about the cold cuts, lettuce, may and bread was calling to me. I finally had one at around 6 weeks out. With a bit of lettuce and I tried a tiny bit of salad during that same week. I tolerated it perfectly fine, others have stated they couldn't handle lettuce for quite a bit longer.

The best thing is too wait 4-5 weeks until youre clear to start trying regular foods in moderation and to add them one at a time to see how your body handles it.

Don't worry it will be soon enough that you can enjoy all the foods you are missing, right now I bet it just seems like it can never be "normal" again, but it can and it will.

Here is the Cornell weight loss surgery dietary guidelines. I combined my surgeons guidelines and this one to get through the first 4-5 weeks.

http://www.sleeveguide.com/uploads/1/7/9/4/1794785/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

Edited by mp8btpc

im 3 months out and i do not tolerate salads, im basically still on soft foods. im not really tolerating dense Protein. i was a little concerned but my doctor wasnt, so it is still soft stuff for me

I'm one week away from 6 months out, and just in the last 2 weeks I've been able to eat a salad. Still can't do Tomato peels, or any other food with peels. (grapes, etc) But lettuce and spinach (raw) will now not make me sick. Just have to chew chew chew. I throw some kind of Protein on it with fat free dressing.

I'm clear to eat all foods at 6 weeks which is next Thursday. My surgeon actually said salad will go down easy. So we'll see :)

My guidelines are NO corn, peas, lima Beans, lettuce, cabbage, or raw veggies for 6 MONTHS. WOW that's a long time for me to wait for a salad, but I will do what my doc's guidelines say to do. It's kinda frustrating when you see others eating foods you can't eat for several months.

Deb

My doctor allowed salads at 4 weeks. I still have some trouble digesting them and i am almost 6 months out. They seem to come out looking the same as they went in!

I'm one week away from 6 months out, and just in the last 2 weeks I've been able to eat a salad. Still can't do Tomato peels, or any other food with peels. (grapes, etc) But lettuce and spinach (raw) will now not make me sick. Just have to chew chew chew. I throw some kind of Protein on it with fat free dressing.

That's strange. I'm approaching 2 months and haven't had issues with fruit and veggies so far. Just today I ate some grapes, a pear, and a few slices of tomato, and all of them went down fine. I haven't had a large amount of salad, but can handle the small amount of veggies you'd find on a sandwich or crudites without a problem. bread and some meats (like ribs) are the only things I've had a problem with.