Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big Fight with my Personal Trainer

All,

I'm about 2.5 months post op, and have started working out with a personal trainer at the gym. Needless to say, it's not going well...and so I'm very interested in some feedback from those of you who have been excercising for a while....please.

When the trainers at the gym see a "big" person, they think "burn calories". B)

In fact, I do not wish to burn calories, but rather, (based on my research), my goal is to build lean muscle mass.

That said, I want to do High Intensity, High Weight training. That means, I want to work with 2 sets, 8-10 reps, of high weight to the point of muscle failure. This way, when I break down my muscle, my body will work to "build" it bigger and stronger in preperation for the next time I call on that muscle to "work" for me. The result is burning more fat (not calories) and building muscle mass, which in turn will help "fill me out" from the inside out, reducing loose skin. Once I can do 10 reps, rather than adding more reps of the same weight, I will add more weight.

Does this make sense to anyone?

The trainer says it's not the right approach, and he wants me to do 4 sets of 15 reps, which according to my reseach, will burn calories! I am barely getting in 600 cals a day....70g of protien, 10-20g of fat and 20-30g of carbs.

Also, the trainer keeps reminding me that I am going to get sick if I continue to work out on only 600 cals a day....:cursing:. Of course, the trainer has no background in WLS nor has he ever read anything about it...

Help! Any and all feedback would be appriciated.

Have you told the trainer exactly what you've told us? That you want to build muscle, not necessarily burn fat? Sounds like you two really need to sit down and hash it out. My trainer was also very skeptical about my very-low-cal diet and the whole WLS thing, but he was willing to work with me and now that we're seeing results, he's a believer in doing things my way.

If you've tried that and he still isn't willing to work the way you want to work, sounds like it's time for a new trainer.

I agree - tell the Trainer what's up, and if you can't agree on a plan, find a new trainer. I'm sure the Trainer is only doing what they think is right, but your WLS situation changes that scenario. If they can't adapt, they need to be gone.

Dave

Any resistance training is going to build muscle - 15 reps is not that bad, although 8-10 reps is better.

It's important to note that you won't build much muscle on 600 calories, so your trainer has a point. Building muscle is an anabolic (energy-requiring) process, so when you have a basal metabolic rate of, say, 1800, which would probably be average for an overweight person, you are simply not going to have the energy to build muscle on 600 calories. You also need a high Protein intake, as you need the amino acids to build the Protein that your muscles are made of. You use up a certain amount of protein (I think, 40 g/day) just to keep your body functioning on a day-to-day basis, not for muscle growth. You'll find that women who are serious about muscle-building consume about 1 g protein/lb of bodyweight.

With that said, I wouldn't plan to majorly alter your body composition on 600 calories a day with a modest protein intake. Just keep working on getting yourself in better shape and your gains will increase once you can eat more.

If you are really clashing with your trainer, I'd find another one. But the odds of you finding one who's really experienced with WLS are very low. Just focus on learning the correct exercise techniques.

I belong to the camp that considers trainers unnecessary unless you are a competitive athlete. You can learn everything about nutrition and exercises on databases such as Bodybuilding.com. I've also heard of Stumptuous.com being lauded for good weight-lifting info for women. Just use your trainer to correct your form on exercises and then go off on your own and save yourself some cash.

why are you seeing a trainer if you know what you want to do?

from my experience, most trainers (at the regular gyms) don't know a lot and treat everyone the same.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

MLKPAS: Yes, I have told the trainer, on several occasions, what my goal is, and why. I've also sent him an email detailing my diet, and my "thoughts" about how I want to train, and why. I'd also had the same conversation and sent the same email to the head of the trainers at the club, and asked him for his feedback, which was positive. He said he would talk to the trainer, but nothing changed.

BLACKBERRY: Thanks so much for the info....and the detail on the protien issue. I do not want to bulk up, but I wanted to be sure that the time I was investing in myself at the gym was being put to optimum use....Sounds like my thinking is correct, and the approach with the higher weight, lower reps is the direction I need to keep, right?

BRYN: Thanks for the vote of confidence. In fact, I really do not know much about excersie. Actually, I've never worked out a day in my life, but in preperation for starting this part of my journey, I did do a lot of reading....I need a trainer to help me learn how to use the machines, and help me create a program. Also, and most important to me, is that I needed someone to teach me about how to do the movements correctly. They say, it's not how many reps/sets you do, it's how you do them, in order to get maximum benefits.

I'd still love more feedback, so if anyone has anything to offer, please, please speak up!!

Thanks for the support!

my trainer is a big believer in building muscle....he has me do cardio on my own...and yes even with my low calorie intake he expects me to do cardio and weights...and I do both and am starting to love it. He says body pump classes are good as a cardio exercise but not as a resistance training, since most of the body classes are loads of reps with lighter weights....

With me we do weights, and we go heavy on weights we get anywhere from 10-15 reps. We are also doing alot of body weight stuff (think PX90), so push ups, planks, squats, lunges, etc...these mixed with weights, like doing a squat with a curl, over head press in sort of one motion.....

Talk to your trainer, mine has actually studied and works with some dr.'s on their WLS programs as well as those who do Optifast programs. He knows that I'll be needing more calories as I lose weight, but in the meantime, we are tapping into reserves and trying to maintain strength and muscle....as I burn fat....

if your trainer doesn't get it....find another one...or go online and look up a routine....

You have the right idea, you know what you want/need....and if you are paying for it, you should get what you want/need......

sounds like your trainer does not want to learn. Hummmm? Try talking to the Head guy again? I agree you need a trainer for correcting the positions. Wish this guy would get on your side! Maybe you could show your trainer this site? Depends on if he wants to learn anything. Good luck keep trying. I stopped working out and I am starting to "bag" Gotta get back to the gym!

It's super important to work maintaining muscle mass for WLS patients, and for all "dieters". Take a look at Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. It's all about losing fat while maintaining muscle. It is difficult to have more than one goal at a time. You can focus on building muscle (eating lots of Protein and lifting heavy weights for muscle failure), you can work on building your endurance (long exercise sessions, marathon training, swimming, high reps lots of constant fueling of the body) or you can focus on fat loss (low calories in, burn more calories than you take in, maintain muscle mass).

Focus has always been difficult for me.

**UPDATE**

Well, I went in, spoke with the "big cheese" this time, and guess what, he get's me! I told him about some of the challenges, he called the head trainer into his office, explained the situation, and the head trainer told me that he is a big beleiver of working to muscle failure, to build muscle and burn fat. He told me that he would take me on as his client, and shift some stuff around so he can work with me in the early mornings.

I then found out this morning, that my original trainer was fired!

Not sure how I feel about that, but perhaps they had their reasons...

Thanks for the great support and feedback!

glad to hear things are going well with you now!! good luck

Wow! I'm glad you got your situation worked out! I wouldn't be surprised if there had been problems with your old trainer before, and this turned out to be the last straw for him. Too bad, though.

All,

I'm about 2.5 months post op, and have started working out with a personal trainer at the gym. Needless to say, it's not going well...and so I'm very interested in some feedback from those of you who have been excercising for a while....please.

When the trainers at the gym see a "big" person, they think "burn calories". B)

In fact, I do not wish to burn calories, but rather, (based on my research), my goal is to build lean muscle mass.

That said, I want to do High Intensity, High Weight training. That means, I want to work with 2 sets, 8-10 reps, of high weight to the point of muscle failure. This way, when I break down my muscle, my body will work to "build" it bigger and stronger in preperation for the next time I call on that muscle to "work" for me. The result is burning more fat (not calories) and building muscle mass, which in turn will help "fill me out" from the inside out, reducing loose skin. Once I can do 10 reps, rather than adding more reps of the same weight, I will add more weight.

Does this make sense to anyone?

The trainer says it's not the right approach, and he wants me to do 4 sets of 15 reps, which according to my reseach, will burn calories! I am barely getting in 600 cals a day....70g of protien, 10-20g of fat and 20-30g of carbs.

Also, the trainer keeps reminding me that I am going to get sick if I continue to work out on only 600 cals a day....:cursing:. Of course, the trainer has no background in WLS nor has he ever read anything about it...

Help! Any and all feedback would be appriciated.

This is going to sound like so dumb, but here it goes. . . "if something annoys you, ummm get rid of it so it stops annoying you???" GET RID OF THE TRAINER! Jeeze. . . . do what you feel is right for you. . . after all its' just another guy trying to have power and control over yet another person. . . .good luck!

**update**

I've been working with the head trainer now for the last few weeks. He scares me! :-) I love working out with him though, he's no nonsense, which is what I need. He explains everything, and me, like the sponge that I am, and just loving all the information and details. He's not a huge advocat for the machines, and is a believer of the free weights ect. I'm learning so much....for example, I've learned that I hate, hate, hate squats!

Anywhoo, just wanted to touch base and let everyone know that I'm happy with the new trainer, and am enjoying the experience, so far!