Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When doctor says rest.. REST

I have a husband at home.. but I'm so independent I hate asking for help. So the other day (6 days post op) tried to do laundry and fold the clothes.. i pulled a muscle on my right side. Now it hurts to breathe a bit and move. (Feels great when I put on the heating pad and lay down.. so thats how I know its only a pulled muscle)

REST .. REST.. REST.. trust the other person to do the work and if it doesnt get done.. it doesnt need to get done.

Other than that.. I'm good 9 days out.

(I'm really yelling at myself in this post and holding myself accountable for being a big DODO bird!)

Gayle:cursing:

oh no! I'm kinda in that situation now. Tomorrow is a week since surgery, so now I'm thinking time to start doing things. But I'm really not ready to be zipping around doing laundry. I can wipe a counter, but leaning bending down and reaching up aren't good. So I'm going to listen to you! Feel better!

YES rest is a big part of the healing process. I didn't drive until 2 weeks after my surgery and continued to rest the next 2 weeks after that. It really really helped me. I'm finally going back to work tomorrow after 4 weeks off. I'm feeling really good.

These are wise words! I went back to work only 6 days after surgery, and it was way too soon! I'm 2 and a half weeks out now, and starting to feel more normal, but if you can stay home and rest you absolutely should!

I agree totally. Rest while you can...take it easy in anything you do. I went back to work 6 days after surgery and it was really hard. No one knew what I had done. If you have the option to lay around and take it easy do so. Don't over do it with anything. I am almost six weeks out and I still am not lifting anything over 10 pounds. It just isn't worth it.

I def. have trouble with lifting. Reaching up high and bending/reaching low also. So I told my husband. I'm not reaching high into cabinets, I'm not bending down to empty the bottom part of the dishwasher. And I'm NOT lifting any laundry in or out or anywhere. He is doing it. He's okay w/ it and wants me to rest too, so that's a good thing.

I am going to listen to all of you. I'm a teacher, and I have 4 weeks medical leave. Today is the start of week 2. Computer, watch tv, read a book, crosswords! That's going to be it plus a few things I CAN do in between to make me feel productive. The kids are old enough where they really only need "direction" for things.. clearing table after dinner, cleaning up toys, stuff like that. I sure do miss my chitchat time and snuggle time at bedtime though!

Take it easy everyone. Even if you're back at work... try to rest when you can.

Treat yourself and your family to a housekeeper. I'm a housekeeper myself and most clients are regular biweekly but I also have done after surgery, funerals, births and before parties. People say it's the best thing they have gotten for themselves. My Mom is coming over to help me with my housekeeping I just need to get it in order before I go!