Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too skinny anyone?

I've been looking through the forum and have not found the answer to my question. HAs anyone expierenced losing too much weight from the VSG? I'm weighing between the band and the sleeve. With the band I feel I will have control over my weight loss, But with the VSG I'm scared I might not, even though it's probaly the best option for me. :confused1:

I think you will lose a lot of weight with the Sleeve. Thank's what I was told. You are correct about having the control of the band. I will see with the Sleeve ,I am having my Surgery next Tuesday. I will keep you updated with my weight loss. I am having the Sleeve Gastrectomy done.

Weight 240

Go in and read all the band to sleeve revision stories. go to lap band talk and read the complications section.

Bands are a nightmare. Yes, you can control how much weight you lose with a sleeve. After you get to where you want to be, you add back healthy fats and healthy carbs.

Do yourself a very big favor and research the band much more thoroughly.

When I was researching WLS and then went to my surgeon, apart from the high maintanace of the band the "good" thing was that it was reversible and the sleeve wasn't, or isn't shall I say. When I asked him why would I ever want to reverse my stomach back when it made my life a misery all these years? He just shrugged, I said worse case scenario, if I lose too much weight (which I doubt very much) I'll just add more fats and carbs (as oregondaisy said) and a nice milkshake a day! I am SO happy with my sleeve, so please do your research!!

I've been looking through the forum and have not found the answer to my question. HAs anyone expierenced losing too much weight from the VSG? I'm weighing between the band and the sleeve. With the band I feel I will have control over my weight loss, But with the VSG I'm scared I might not, even though it's probaly the best option for me. :confused1:

Hi, I find it easy to control my weight having got to goal. To stay the same I should eat around 1,800 cals a day. This is not a hard target with a stmach capacity of around 125-150cc and life is a breeze. If I want to lose I just go for solid Protein food which fills me for ages and I Atkins diet the way down. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!!!! :thumbup:

Jane x

I think this is kind of a luxury problem, kind of like "seriously" thinking of how you would manage all your money if you won the lottery. The likelihood is very slim, no pun intended. I've never heard of anyone that has lost too much weight with the VSG, I mean they probably exist but, like lottery winners - few and far between.

I also had this same concern. Having done plenty of research, speaking with my surgeon, and reading on these boards, I became comfortable that it wouldn't be an issue.

I have a fair way to go to goal yet, only sleeved 12 days ago, but I was aneorexic as a teenager and initially my family were terrified I am going to go too far again. Knowing that this was a HEALTHY option for me and not just a super quick method of weight loss was just as important as anything else.

Some people do go below their target, but I am sure that given time to adjust the amount which is eaten and the type of calories consumed, this can be rectified.

I have already warned my family that I may go a little underweight until I get used to how much I should be eating to maintain my goal. A little bit of trial and error.

I would also try to sway you away from the band, having read plenty of complications and seeing how many revisions there are here. I just don't believe it is a good option for anyone.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. xx

I lost 25lbs below my goal weight of 150, BUT I'm only 5'2" so being 125ish isn't unhealthy or too skinny. It puts me right in the middle of a healthy BMI range. I just added back in carbs, and healthy fats to get my body to stop losing. It was a bit a balancing act, and it was weird to continue to lose weight, but my body settled right where it wanted to be and I'm perfectly ecstatic with my results. I also started at 270 so you can imagine that I never thought I'd get to 125lbs. Heck, I didn't think 150 was doable.

Please do yourself a favor, and read my blog on here. I have tons of information on the band and VSG. I've had both. The band sucked the life out of me in just 8 short months, destroyed my stomach and it was not reversible. I lost additional stomach tissue during my revision because of the band. Just research, and when you think you've researched enough, read some more.

I've sent you a friend request so you can access my blog on here. You'll find current stats on the band, research information on the VSG and tons of my posts of my personal experience from band to sleeve.

Best wishes! ! !

Thank you to everyone who replied to my concern. It was very informative and helpful. I've been looking through forums for around six months now, but just had the courage to talk. I'm a 34 year old female that is 4 foot 11, and weighs 230 lbs. I'm diabetic,insulin dependent for 15 yrsm, high blood pressue, and elevated cholesterol and an extreme case of GERD. So I really need the surgery. I am married but don't have the support of my husband about the surgery. He likes chunky women and feels I look fine. My personal goal is around 230 lbs. I like the curvy look but not the excess of weight or the health issues. So I know if I lose to much weight there will be added problems in the marriage with not a lot of support. And to add I don't want that sick look. So that's my story and why I have concern. Thanks again everyone, I just felt I needed to release that.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my concern. It was very informative and helpful. I've been looking through forums for around six months now, but just had the courage to talk. I'm a 34 year old female that is 4 foot 11, and weighs 230 lbs. I'm diabetic,insulin dependent for 15 yrsm, high blood pressue, and elevated cholesterol and an extreme case of GERD. So I really need the surgery. I am married but don't have the support of my husband about the surgery. He likes chunky women and feels I look fine. My personal goal is around 230 lbs. I like the curvy look but not the excess of weight or the health issues. So I know if I lose to much weight there will be added problems in the marriage with not a lot of support. And to add I don't want that sick look. So that's my story and why I have concern. Thanks again everyone, I just felt I needed to release that.

Do you mean your goal is around 130lbs?

I understand your concern about your husband not supporting a "skinny you". My husband likes thick, curvy women. He loved me at 270lbs, but you know what he loves me the same at 125ish. I know that it did cause some issues when I slipped below 150, he really thought I looked great around 175ish, but nothing about our marriage has changed, except we have a better, more intimate sex life.

If your marriage is solid going into surgery, it'll survive surgery. If it's shaky, WLS can make it more unstable. A lot of the time the spouse of a WLS patient feels they lose their "eating/drinking" partner, that their life is going to dramatically change, or that we expect them to conform to our new food choices. My husband can tell you that none of that has occurred. We didn't eat totally crappy food before surgery, and all I've done is tweak recipes to make them more healthy. I use greek yogurt instead of sour cream, I add flax seed to muffins, baked goods, and he nor the kiddo realized it until I finally told them a couple of months ago.

I will give you my experience. My husband became the food police. Trying to make me eat more, trying to sabotage me by offering me a few bites of his ice cream, or telling me that we could "split" a dessert. I don't think he was doing it because he wants me fat again, he just misses the way we used to indulge together. Big difference is his 6'0", 170lb lean, muscular frame, and metabolism of a gnat allows him to indulge more than I can. So, be prepared to set boundaries, and stand by them. Tell him what you need and do not need from him. This is the only thing that kept me from throat punching my husband through my losing phase. :)

I was concerned about stopping losing weight too, but it's been no problem. I now have the luxury of being able to fine tune where I want to be within 3-4 pounds, which is such a tiny amount of weight it's laughable, but extremely fun! I generally just eat some more carbs, switched from no fat everything to "normal", and sometimes have a piece of chocolate or a cookie. No trouble, no weight regain either.