Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain in Sternum area.

Hey all,

I ate too fast the other day and had this ball of "ouch" down deep in my throat, in the sternum area. It stayed there fro 30 seconds and I started to panic, felt like I couldn't breathe. Then it went down after a minute.

It happened again two days later.

Now, I am sore there. I have a "soreness" in the sternum area, hbetween the breasts.

What the heck did I do and what should I do about it?

Sounds like you irritated your stomach. Go on liquids for several days. When I say several, I mean several.

I had a horrible PB incident on May 22nd, started my TOM on the 31st and had a fill on June 1st. I was sore following the PB and I'm STILL sore in the sternum area. Just too much activity in the area I guess. Even though I don't have any problems eating solid food, I'm having an unfill tomorrow at 11:00 hoping to relieve the soreness at my sternum. If that doesn't take care of it I'm going to have an endoscopy.

Hopefully, if you stay on liquids for several days, your soreness will go away more quickly than mine.

Good luck.

Hi and thanks Donna.

That stinks what your going through. Outch.

I called the nurse at my doc's and she said to do mushies and liquids for 3 days. What do you think?

I think you should go on liquids for 3 days and then stay on liquids or mushies till the pain goes away. But what I think really doesn't matter - you should go with what you and your doctor decide together.

Yup, Leener, DonnaB is right. Liquids, then mushies if it's going well till it clears up. Then you know I'm gonna tell you to get out your aloe vera juice, right? 2-3 ounces, 2-3 times a day. WTG, calling the doc. Keep us posted!

Hey all,

I went on soft food for a ffew days and the soreness went away. But now it's back again! It's happening with foods I have had no problems with before! It seems it's happening with any kind of solid food. What the heck is going on?

There is some reflux going on too. Just got off the phone with my doc's office. I am having a upper GI (again) next week to see if I slipped. If I have I don't know what I will do!! I just don't know if I can handle it mentally or physically anymore. :-(

I'm bummed out. Really feeling low now. Everytime I have a test done or any procedure, it costs me out of pocket money I can't afford. And i just had surgery on my uterus yesterday. All these medical problems and tests are really getting me down (and in debt)

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having problems. Hang in there and let us know how things turn out.

HUGS

Leener, you just had surgery yesterday, you are tight from internal swelling! Stick to mushies...whatever doesn't cause pain, and give it time. You know you are a "sweller" so listen to your body and don't fret. I'm glad you are getting an Upper GI, but don't worry, they won't find anything, I'm betting, and you just need to ride it out. You get down to below 200, and you'll be begging for the restriction you have now. You are doing great! PLEASE don't be discouraged! This is YOUR journey, not to be compared with anyone else's, so don't let yourself be frustrated. It's okay.

Drink your Aloe Vera, take your Prilosec, or whatever, for reflux, stick with softer foods and give it some time. THEN if it doesn't get better...you can be concerned. Remember when you were so tight post-op banding? it got better, right? No reason it won't again. Give your poor little body some time, and your emotions, too! You have had lots going on these day. Be kind to yourself! ((((hugs))))

Hey Leenerbups,

I definitely know what you are talking about. I had that couple of times. Is it the golfball? Once it made me so sick that I didnt eat for a day...I mean real food, just mushies. It was definitely my fault cause I didnt bite properly and it was bread. From now on Im not eating any bread. Well good for me cause Im addicted to it LMAO:-)

Thanks to all of you who responded, it really does help me get through this.

I'm having bad reflux. Anyone take prescription Nexium and get dizzy?? It's making me dizzy.

Eflicka: Yup that was it, the golfball.And it was pasta!

The BestMe: Your right lady. I'm trying to hang in here with all that it is going on. It's overwhelming. It seems all I do is go to doctors now and tests. If this thing slipped I'll kick myself because it was my fault for eating too much too fast.

Okay I'm scared now. Th epain in my sternum is still there. It's starting to throb too. It's between my breasts and high where my esophagus is I'm guessing .It's gnawing and no amount of acid reducers is helping. I've also developed a sore throat for a week now.

My Upper GI is 3 weeks away. I think I need a scope.

Advice???

Schedule an unfill. Call your doc. Maybe they will move up your Upper GI. If you are too tight, and something is stuck, an unfill will loosen it. Take a sip or two of Sprite? You may have a wad of something stuck? Can you make yourself PB? That's not a very good recommendation, but I can't promise you I wouldn't try it? I don't know, Leener. But I'd unfill, for sure. How much is in your band?

Hi Kath,

Actually I don't have a fill at all. I never had a fill. :-(

Just called my doctor's gastro and they are doing a scope on me tomorrow.