Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I smell funny.

I've been in ketosis before, and it's not that smell. Could it have something to do with the anesthesia? It's almost a sweet smell (but not one I want).

If that sweet smell is coming from your urine, go to your PMD and have him/her check your A1C and blood sugar. When I have diabetic patients with high blood sugar, their urine can smell like apple juice, it's so sweet-smelling. That would be my concern. I know that 'lady issues' can be uncomfortable to discuss with a doctor, but believe me, you won't make them uncomfortable. The more forthcoming and honest you are, the better they can diagnose and treat you. Good luck.

I know what you mean Susieq. I haven't had VSG yet, but I've had operations in the past and yeah, I think that smell comes from anesthesia. I drank tons of Water, but I don't know if that did the trick or if it finally just worked it's way out of my system. It should go away after a while.

Glad to hear it's getting better. I noticed the thing with my breath too, but that seems to have gone away - except when I drink a creamy Protein drink. Whew! I feel like sticky dragon mouth every day after I have my Protein shake. I've always kept a toothbrush at work for after lunch, but for awhile recently I was brushing after the Protein Drink. Since that's impractical and makes me look wierd, I put some Mentos gum in my desk drawer and chew a piece for a while after my shake. I'm not supposed to be chewing gum at work but if anyone says anything I'll give them a taste of the old dragon breath one day and see if they have any further complaints about my gum chewing! :laugh0:

My real problem lately has been my armpits - to put it delicately. :blink: I've been smelling them ALOT in the last few weeks and it's driving me crazy. I'm not doing anything at work to be getting musty and my Secret deodorant has worked like a pro for 20+ years. I remember someone saying in another thread that body odors can be more pronounced post op with the hormonal changes, so I decided that was the problem. I switched to Degree deodorant a few days ago. It seemed to vanish the odor for a day or two, but it's back today. I think it's just me that can smell it but I'm not sure. My nose is somewhat defective so I"m thinking if I can smell it, it must be bad. I work with a couple of people with world class noses who can smell stuff a mile away and identify the most obscure smells. I think I'm going to have to break down and ask a friend at work if it stinks. I'll be totally embarrassed to have been walking around like this for week but at least I'll know where I stand.

Anyone have suggestions for a deodorant other than Secret and Degree that might take care of this? Do I need to try one of the clinical strength brands? Or is it something I'm going to have to wait out like the breath thing? I don't mind trying different deodorants but I don't want to waste my time and money if it won't make a difference.

Glad to hear it's getting better. I noticed the thing with my breath too, but that seems to have gone away - except when I drink a creamy Protein drink. Whew! I feel like sticky dragon mouth every day after I have my Protein shake. I've always kept a toothbrush at work for after lunch, but for awhile recently I was brushing after the Protein Drink. Since that's impractical and makes me look wierd, I put some Mentos gum in my desk drawer and chew a piece for a while after my shake. I'm not supposed to be chewing gum at work but if anyone says anything I'll give them a taste of the old dragon breath one day and see if they have any further complaints about my gum chewing! :laugh0:

My real problem lately has been my armpits - to put it delicately. :blink: I've been smelling them ALOT in the last few weeks and it's driving me crazy. I'm not doing anything at work to be getting musty and my Secret deodorant has worked like a pro for 20+ years. I remember someone saying in another thread that body odors can be more pronounced post op with the hormonal changes, so I decided that was the problem. I switched to Degree deodorant a few days ago. It seemed to vanish the odor for a day or two, but it's back today. I think it's just me that can smell it but I'm not sure. My nose is somewhat defective so I"m thinking if I can smell it, it must be bad. I work with a couple of people with world class noses who can smell stuff a mile away and identify the most obscure smells. I think I'm going to have to break down and ask a friend at work if it stinks. I'll be totally embarrassed to have been walking around like this for week but at least I'll know where I stand.

Anyone have suggestions for a deodorant other than Secret and Degree that might take care of this? Do I need to try one of the clinical strength brands? Or is it something I'm going to have to wait out like the breath thing? I don't mind trying different deodorants but I don't want to waste my time and money if it won't make a difference.

I love Degree clinical protection. I don't really need the clinical strength but I use it just in case. It's awesome!

Me too! I just noticed it about 5 days ago! Natually it was AFTER I saw my Doctor! No one else (like my Hubby) has noticed and he said my breath is ok. So, I wonder what it is. I have been bathing like crazy and trying all different kinds of soaps. And the last couple of days I have been itching like crazy, maybe all of that bathing?:thumbup:

lol Deb. I have always had this problem because my medication. I used to always have gum on hand, but now I carry my tooth brush, and tooth paste with me. THe other day at work I brushed my teeth like 4 times, and I was only there for half a day. I tell everyone if my breath stinks, it is not my fault, and I'm not skanky, it is the surgery. I have actually woke up in the middle of the night because of my stank breath. GROSS:scared0:

I've found that to handle that oh-so-lovely problem, that carrying those breath strips (Listerine is the brand I've found) works even better than carrying around a toothbrush and toothpaste. I've found 'em in cinnamon and spearmint, and WOW do they do the job. Just set 'em on your tongue, and seconds later, minty-fresh breath. Not to knock teeth-brushing (I sure do enough of it!), it's just that it's possible to actually brush too much. And, the little boxes of breath strips are a lot more discreet and easy to transport. Give it a try!

I finally figured out what my odor problem was. :lightbulb: This is going to sound really strange but it was my generic Prevacid. After trying the clinical strength deodorant to no avail, I started thinking it was a medication issue. The prevacid was the only thing that had changed. I had gone from the 15 mg OTC brand name to the 30 mg generic RX. I started experimenting by alternating them a few days at a time. I did this four times. Every time I went to the brand name OTC, the armpit odor went away within two days. Everytime I went back to the generic, the armpit odor came back within two days. AMAZING! :o I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced it myself. I've been back on the OTC brand name version for over a week, using my regular secret deodorant, and not even thinking about my armpits anymore. I really don't think I needed the 30 mg strength so I'm just going to have to fork over the money for the OTC in the interests of smelling good and maintaining my sanity. My surgeon gave me a new script for 15 mg brand name but we're pretty sure the RX version doesn't come in 15 mg. Being able to get it cheaper as an RX just isn't worth me walking around smelling like I"ve run a marathon. I'm happy to be back to an odor-free lifestyle! :clap2:

That is wild! I am about to switch this week to generic 30mg prevacid (from OTC). I'm glad to know your experience, in case it happens to me. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not really drinking enough of anything. Isopure, Carnation Instant Breakfast. Sigh. I'm not doing a very good job of this.

Are you on medication, antibiotics etc, it could also come out in your urine and sweat. your body is going thru so many changes, hormonally and this too could cause it, i wouldnt worry to much, but it it continues and your concerned talk to your doc about it...:blink:

I don't care for those creamy Protein drinks and that is one of the reasons! Try nectar - you can mix it with cold Water and it has kind of the flavor of Crystal Light. It's a thin liquid, like iced tea or lemonade. It comes in many flavors, and you can get it on Amazon. It's the only one I drink now - mostly Roadside Lemonade flavor!

Glad to hear it's getting better. I noticed the thing with my breath too, but that seems to have gone away - except when I drink a creamy Protein drink. Whew! I feel like sticky dragon mouth every day after I have my protein shake. I've always kept a toothbrush at work for after lunch, but for awhile recently I was brushing after the protein drink. Since that's impractical and makes me look wierd, I put some Mentos gum in my desk drawer and chew a piece for a while after my shake. I'm not supposed to be chewing gum at work but if anyone says anything I'll give them a taste of the old dragon breath one day and see if they have any further complaints about my gum chewing! :laugh0:

Man do I regret opening tis up ! Its likse a train wreck I couldnt stop reading no matter how hard I tried, I am having surgery in Feb and now all I can think about is I am going to have small boobs and stinky parts . I am just a little scared now

Man do I regret opening tis up ! Its likse a train wreck I couldnt stop reading no matter how hard I tried, I am having surgery in Feb and now all I can think about is I am going to have small boobs and stinky parts . I am just a little scared now

I giggled outloud on this one ! ! ! The stinky parts is only temporary, and the small boob thing, well I'm trying to be positive about the small boob thing because my waist is so small now! ! !