Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

And the stupid comments begin...

WTF? Someone must have been having a really bad day.

I tell, I tell, I tell. If people have a bad reaction, that's OK by me. Maybe I'll educate a few people along the way.

So I went to a friend's place for a dinner party yesterday. All the people invited were my close friends, so everyone knew about my VSG, and I made comments about it pretty freely. I mentioned something about how I can't eat very much, and then the hostess' mother, who I guess wasn't told about it, asked me why. So I was like, "Oh, I had my stomach surgically reduced in Mexico so I'd lose weight." She YELLED out: "Are you CRAZY

!? I know someone who did this and then died 3 years later! DIED!!!!!!" I said something about how it probably isn't the same surgery and the death might not be related to it, but she just yelled "SHE DIED!!!!" again and then got up from the table, went downstairs, and never came up for the rest of the dinner.:lol0: She had been pretty rude to everyone at the beginning of the dinner, as well, so it seemed like she was having a bad day, but what the hell.....how inappropriate on so many levels.:001_wub:

Totally uneducated about any surgery actually! And a drama queen to boot. . . it's probably best she left. . . did you have a nice time regardless? Good. . . people like her are best left alone and to go fume on their own time. . . keep up the good work!:biggrin0:

I find that people in general are just uninformed and way too opinionated. I have an acquiantance who works in a hospital. She's seen maybe 2 bad bypass scenarios and keeps telling me how fortunate I am that I didn't end up like them. I'm like, "you have no idea what you're talking about." She's obese and chooses to stay that way; that's fine, can't change anyone or make them want to do something good for their health, that's totally on them. But then when they complain that their husband doesn't want to have sex with them and they don't know why or what to do, I'm like....."Well, you could take off some of those fenders and feel better about yourself," but you can't say that, can you?! She complains that she has "back boobs" and how ugly that is....yep, that's true, but to actually take the action to fix these self-esteem issues, oh HELL NO, not going to do that, way too scary. You see where this goes, right? Some people would rather just be fat and use food as a crutch than to have a real life, be healthy, and unobsessed with food, but then they'd have to deal with the underlying issues of their personality dysfunction. Yep, it's one big old rolled up ball of wax, all that emotional junk that gets trapped in us. At some point you have to start to unwind all that crap and get down to what's really going on. The eating and weight is just a symptom of the underlying trapped junk. You got to fix it eventually, either from the outside in or the inside out. I say congrats to all of us who've taken the initiative to resolve our addictions and create a better life for ourselves and our families. Yay!! :thumbup:

I would have been a smart a$$ and said atleast I will die a SKINNY BITCH!!!! :laugh0::001_tt2:

LMAO!

I agree with most of the comments here. I had my surgery Dec 14th, 2010. Only a few people know, I didn't even tell my family aunts, uncles, or cousins. I started telling a few people at work and some were really freaked out so i stopped. I just thank God my husband and mom are very supportive. I feel like it's your life and you only get one chance with it so do what makes you happy. Hey it is you who will have to either put on those huge jeans or the skinny ones, you decide what you want. Skip everyone else and their opinions about your decision and your life.

I think I might have said "I'd rather die happy, than fat." But I have always been quick with the cutting comebacks.... so I guess I haven't lost my sense of humor (just half my stomach!!) LOL.

Seriously, sorry you had to be embarrassed and put on the spot by that nut case of a mother. Guess this is why i have told almost NO ONE..... still, theholidays were difficult for me. So much food around, and so many expecting me to eat like a P.I.G., as usual. I can hardly eat anything at all... so many were disappointed, and eyeing me suspiciously.

Too bad for them!! I love my sleeve!

Hang in there.... wait till she sees the final results and strut your stuff.

Cinderella

I have explained to people (that I trust) that I had weight-loss surgery to help with my diabetes. That usually validates the need for it. They have been very supportive. Some people worry that I won't be able to stop losing weight when I get to my goal. (They don't know me very well, do they?) ;)

This woman was/is a Drama queen. How did your friend react, this may be par for the course with Mom, freaks out, everyone runs to her. She also may be afraid for you, at this point a little late...she may be real embarrassed by her behavior now.

My family is freaking out. It sounds bad, 1/2 stomach gone for weight loss, they tell me to get on the ball and really focus and work out. Really? I look just like my Aunt! I've been over 200 since I was 30, 170 in High School and even at 5 "9 (i've shrunk) that is just sad, now at 40 I've spent the past 2 years hovering at 280 or regaining everything i've lost. I'm DONE.

I have explained to people (that I trust) that I had weight-loss surgery to help with my diabetes. That usually validates the need for it. They have been very supportive. Some people worry that I won't be able to stop losing weight when I get to my goal. (They don't know me very well, do they?) ;)

I think this is a great way to present it for those who chose to tell that they had surgery. Only an idiot would argue with the logic of being able to cure your diabetes and get off meds or insulin. (I hope I didn't just call anyone's friend or loved one an idiot.) :D

In terms of health, I was very motivated to lose weight so that I will hopefully not need knee replacement surgery. My knees were definitely getting so bad that I would probably be facing that in another 10 years. I can tell a world of difference after 6 months of constant weight loss.

So I went to a friend's place for a dinner party yesterday. All the people invited were my close friends, so everyone knew about my VSG, and I made comments about it pretty freely. I mentioned something about how I can't eat very much, and then the hostess' mother, who I guess wasn't told about it, asked me why. So I was like, "Oh, I had my stomach surgically reduced in Mexico so I'd lose weight." She YELLED out: "Are you CRAZY

!? I know someone who did this and then died 3 years later! DIED!!!!!!" I said something about how it probably isn't the same surgery and the death might not be related to it, but she just yelled "SHE DIED!!!!" again and then got up from the table, went downstairs, and never came up for the rest of the dinner.< img src="https://s.bariatricpal.com/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://s.bariatricpal.com/uploads/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20" /> She had been pretty rude to everyone at the beginning of the dinner, as well, so it seemed like she was having a bad day, but what the hell.....how inappropriate on so many levels.:001_wub:

Well, you may not be as forward as me, but I would have told her it was my decision, my body, and my life. And, that I didn't give a tinkers damn what she thought. But then again, people say I am sometimes rude:)

My family was very supportive!! It was my mother in law that had the big problem with what I was doing.. She couldn't wrap her head around the thought of someone she knows actually having weight loss surgery "Hubby's family are all normal size people" She even started in with me during Christmas dinner "3 days out" with the whole "I can't believe you would do something like that. I could see someone in there 40s doing it, but your not even 30 yet" I get that I'm not even 30 yet, but goodness what does she want, me to continue in life as an obess mother/wife to her grandchildren and son. I had tried to loose the weight and always lost the battle. I would get 20lbs down, and for every pound I would loose after that I would gain 2 back. Eventually I was back up to were I started, and sometimes weighing more. It's not a fun battle, and people that have never delt with weight issues do not know where we are coming from. My husband still picks on me about the amount I can eat, but it's the good kind of picking. I've started to just not care what people say/think of my decision to have surgery. I am doing this not only for me, but for my family. I want to watch my children grow up, and I want to see grandchildren in the future. I can't do any of that if I'm dead. Next time someone says something about what you have done, simply tell them it was your decision, and you made this decision based on health concerns and your future. Don't give into there actions..

My husband and I took different approaches. I am an RN so everybody I worked with would have noticed that I was off work and then started loosing weight so I was just upfront with everybody. My husband is a wealth manager and works behind his desk so he was able to go back to work quickly. He told everyone portion controll and exercise. We .both have had a lot of support from the people around us. Neither one of us told our families what we are doing. Boy will they be surprised when they come to our sons high school graduation this May!!! Sorry to hear that someone had their head up their butt!!!