Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone lose a bunch before surgery?

OK, I am freaking out a little bit...please humor me. I started worrying that because I lost 40 lbs in the 4 months before surgery, and 27 lbs since surgery that maybe I won't keep losing since I still have about 140 more lbs to lose. I really don't have any logical reason for thinking this way, just old ghosts dancing in my head I guess.

I am interested in other heavy weights out there that might have been in my shoes. I am almost 5'10" tall. Was 380 before I started cutting back on white carbs and looking into the sleeve. Now I am 313, closing in on Twoderville and for some reason having those dreams again that this just won't work. I am feeling great and have no regrets, just irrational fears?

I am eating only Protein food. About 20gm of carbs a day and lots of Water. Not cheating. Exercise in pool and elliptical. With so much still to lose, and a good chunk down pre op, do you think my chances of getting to 170 are good? I probably shouldn't be spaz'ing over this, but I am.

If you can relate, please talk me down. :001_smile:

thanks,

gg

I lost 55 pounds in 5 months before surgery and right now I am 5 weeks out and have lost 30 pounds. I actually thought this same exact questions the night before surgery. I thought...'well I have been eating very little before the sleeve already, so would it make a big difference after surgey? Will I still loose the weight like everyone else?'..... and the answer is yes! so don't worry about it. By the way congrats on loosing that weight! It only makes it closer to goal!! You loose so fast in the beginning that it makes you only jump closer to goal by loosing that weight before surgery! Good luck on your journey and keep us posted!

Well thanks Ms Jenn for your note! I do fret a bit. I guess it's old ghosts of diets past, that either didn't work, or I regained it all. Sometimes I think my body will just get used to 700 cal a day and just go with it. I don't know. Irrational fears...I know. I need to not stress about it.

g

I know...I just need to settle my butt down and not worry. Trust that I am doing everything right and that it will happen as it is supposed to.

Side note: my hairdresser was impressed with my hair today when she cut it. Said she was surprised that I haven't lost any yet. (knocking on my head right now). I told her I wasn't four months out yet, at which time she reminded me that i have been on a diet since April.

Hoping to hang onto as much as possible because it's already pretty thin.

GG

Ok, I've done both the regular dieting and the sleeve, so: yes, you will still lose weight after the sleeve and above all, the sleeve will make it 95% easier to lose and keep it off!

GG

I am in a stall right now...the dreaded "3rd week stall". Yargh. So I am having the same panicky thoughts. Sigh. Oh, well. I know that logically I am eating too few calories NOT to lose weight. But it really is disheartening to see that # freeze in place. I need to back away from the scale and not go near it for a few days or a week.

Hope you are fabulous!

I decided quite early on not to weigh myself more than once or twice a week. Once a week on average. I retain Water before my period, so then I don't weigh myself at all, because it's gone afterwards but it'd depress me to see the stall. It has worked well. If you weigh yourself every day then it will always seem like you have stalls or even sometimes regain some weight, because it depends such a lot on how salty food you've eaten the previous day, how much water you've drunk and so on. I recommend once a week :)

I lost 90lbs during the year before my VSG by being on a 1500 Cal diet and lots of walking. Since my VSG on August 20th I have lost an additional 25 lbs but I hit the dreaded "three week stall" for the past week. I hope I start losing again soon. I am averaging only 500 Cals a day and run out of energy by mid afternoon. Unfortunately, I have to go back to work next week. I hope my energy holds out.