Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what do you wish you knew before hand

The outward "signs" kinda wig me out a bit. Specifically, the hair loss which still hasn't stopped after 4 months and I had none to spare to begin with or so I thought. The new stuff is coming in so the chia pet effect is starting too... weird. The loose skin is annoying, I have lost this much weight before and this didn't happen, ok, I didn't lose it this fast but still. I'm 43 so loose skin on someone my age I guess is normal but if I was in my 20's or 30's it would bother me even more. Wasn't expecting it. Someone posted awhile ago that she was approached in the gym by a random guy that asked if she had weight loss surgery... how freaky! I wonder sometimes if people know just by looking at me which is silly because everyone around me knows anyway!

And then there are allllllll the supplements! I feel like a geriatric with all the pills I have to take! Ugh!

All that said, would I do it again? IN A NEW YORK SECOND!!!!! The side effects are weird but the hair will grow back in, hopefully the skin will get better and the supplements, well, it's just part of it. I'll take this over 99 pounds any day of the week but, more importantly, knowing that more than likely, it really is gone forever unlike weight loss in the past!

Good luck,

C

I had a hiatel(sp?) hernia repaired during my surgery... I didn't know I had one... it hurt like the dickens for a couple of days. By Day 5 I felt great. I wish I had not spent so much on Protein Drinks I didn't like. Get the samples! Also... I spent way to much on horrible tasting chewable vitamins. Get samples on those if you can.

As for the gall bladder medicine... My doc started me on it one month out and said I would take it for the first year.

Good luck on your adventure!!!

Just so you know, I contacted my surgeon about that medication (can't remember the name off the top of my head, sorry), and he said "You can start taking it after 6 months as it is hard on the stomach." Well, 6 months out I should be at my goal weight, so I don't think I have to worry about gallstones from rapid weightloss at that point!:001_wub:

Actigall (Ursodiol generic name) is the name of the drug. There are also contraindications for this medication if you have liver issues.

My surgeon only has 1/4 of his patients that need their gb out after WLS. I opted to NOT take Actigall.

#1 Our livers work double time when losing weight rapidly especially when we're in ketosis. I didn't want to task my liver anymore than necessary.

#2 The gb helps break down fat. During my losing stage, I ate full fat foods because light or fat free food had more carbs and sugar counts.

#3 I had my GB out at 8 months post-op, and a lot of my food choices were nixed because my body would not process fat the same it did before losing my GB. I struggled with a lot of foods post gb removal. I can't imagine not having my GB during my losing stage. I would have been miserable.

Yes, please explain more about the hernia that you talk about? Is this something that was specific to your case or is it something that is standard with all sleeve patients? This is the first I have heard anything about a hernia situation.

It's a hiatal hernia repair, and it is not the "norm". I didn't have one, and I had a band as well. Hiatal hernias often go undiagnosed until surgery, and they are repaired simultaneously as the sleeve surgery. These particular hernias can cause reflux, and repairing them can prolong recovery. The esophagus sometimes has spasms for several weeks to months post repair. It's not related to the sleeve at all.

Hello! I am going to have GS in Dec. I am wondering what you all who have had surgery all ready wish you knew before hand? Or what would have made it easier for you?

Thanks

Linda

I researched so much that really I had zero surprises. I was a revision, and I walked in knowing my risks, complications, and that recovery would probably be extended. Of course, no amount of research prepared me for my specific complications, extensive recovery, but for the actual sleeve life I was well equipped for the ins and outs of surgery, and life post sleeve.

I completely agree with buying samples of Protein, don't get hung up on a flavor because more than likely your tastes will change post-op. Don't buy any tubs, or large quantities of Protein mixes/shakes until a couple of weeks post-op. If you do, more than likely, you'll end up with them being dust collectors. I bought only samples, and found one that I loved. But, 2 weeks into drinking it(4 weeks post-op), I started puking. Lovely, lactose intolerance hit me, and hit me hard. All whey Proteins were out for me. The soy and veggie Proteins were horrible tasting and textured. I gave the one tub I did purchase away to friend.

I never experienced a true stall. I always lost weight, every week. Some weeks I only lost 1-2 pounds, but I never the 2 full weeks without weight loss. BUT, stalls happen, and I would say 98% of WLS patients experience them. Our bodies really can't lose a pound a day forever, and it has to adjust.

Start instilling better habits NOW. I had the learning curve with the sleeve pretty much beat because of my band experience. I had already quit drinking with my meals, already ate small bites, and always set my eating utensil down in between bites to help me slow down on eating. If you start these little changes now, as a pre-op, you'll find the transition to eating with the sleeve much easier. Also, eat your protein first, take at least 20 minutes to eat your meals, stop bringing a beverage to the table with you when you eat. Learn to identify your trigger foods, and avoid them, or enjoy them in moderation. Go ahead and start sucking down Clear liquids on a daily basis. If you're not a Water drinker, you might want to learn to start liking Water now. If you hate water, find something that you can add to it. Clear Liquids are essential in your recovery.

Also, try to prepare yourself mentally for all the changes. If you have food issues such as emotional and compulsive eating, tackle those demons now. Don't think the sleeve will resolve these issues alone. They operate on our stomachs not our brains, and conquering the mental aspect of WLS is 75% of the battle.

Best wishes, and keep reading, researching, and preparing yourself emotionally, mentally, and physically.

And then there are allllllll the supplements! I feel like a geriatric with all the pills I have to take! Ugh!

What do you mean all the supplements? I thought we just needed a Multi-Vitamin? Aren't we getting the rest from the food we are eating? Ok maybe I am wrong, but when I had my band I ate pretty much the same amount and got all of my nutrition from my food. Please help before I do this, I hate taking PILLS!!!!!

Patti

I wish I had taken the Pre-op low fat diet more seriously. I allowed myself several high fat meals the week before surgery (including a fish fry, wedding cake & many party foods). As a result, my liver was fatty and my surgery and recovery time was twice as long. The dr had a hard time lifting my liver to perform the sleeve.

So...STICK TO YOUR LOWFAT PRE-OP DIET. You will be happy in the long run.

Unlike the previous posts, I already had my gallbladder removed years earlier. I am thankful that I dont have to worry about gallstones now. Some surgeons take out the gallbladder at the same time. It may be something to discuss with surgeon.

What do you mean all the supplements? I thought we just needed a multi-Vitamin? Aren't we getting the rest from the food we are eating? Ok maybe I am wrong, but when I had my band I ate pretty much the same amount and got all of my nutrition from my food. Please help before I do this, I hate taking PILLS!!!!!

Patti

I ONLY TAKE Multivitamins ANd the medicine to prevent gallstones, my nut said i should get the rest from my foos, again, all doctors/nut have different guidelines

What do you mean all the supplements? I thought we just needed a multi-Vitamin? Aren't we getting the rest from the food we are eating? Ok maybe I am wrong, but when I had my band I ate pretty much the same amount and got all of my nutrition from my food. Please help before I do this, I hate taking PILLS!!!!!

Patti

Welllll... let's see.. a Multivitamin that I'm supposed to take twice a day, I only take it once, sublingual b-12, chewable Iron, Calcium petites twice a day, potassium (leg cramps) x4/day, magnesium (leg cramps) x4/day, Biotin, Vitamin A (only thing low on my last labs) and of course my acid neutralizer.

I've gotten used to it, it's not that big of a deal. Once I can get off the potassium and magnesium, that will help.

All good, all worth it!!!!!!

C

I wish I had known about the belching. I'm five weeks out and finally got a handle on it in the last couple days. After the TWO YEARS of research I did on WLS and specifically the sleeve, this was news to me. Some get it some don't, I did.

It has been a major problem - belching loudly every 10 seconds for two hours after eating, like my stomach was filled with Pop-Rocks! Plus the gas prevented me from being able to get nutrients, Protein, liquids in. It turns out to be a combination of several things - minor lactose intolerance (I was mixing my Protein powders with milk to up my calories), eating too fast and/or bites too large, and serious stomach acid. I was taking Prilosec twice a day before and after surgery, but after surgery it wasn't enough, so I now take a Pepcid late in the afternoon, and I take a ginger capsule with Breakfast. Both help to settle the acid. My post-surgery coordinator tells me it's temporary and should get better after a while. I hope so. It's the only thing that has caused me buyer's remorse, and now that I seem to have found some tools that help, I'm SO much happier! I still belch once in a while, mind you (mostly when alone, thankfully), but the constant UUURRRPPP's a hundred times a minute are gone.

p.s. The 24.5 lbs. gone help with the happy-quotient too, LOL!

I ONLY TAKE Multivitamins ANd the medicine to prevent gallstones, my nut said i should get the rest from my foos, again, all doctors/nut have different guidelines

All I take is a high quality adult multi-Vitamin, calcium citrate, and I pop a sublingual B12 every couple of days.

My labs have been textbook perfect since surgery so not everyone has to take all of those additional supplements/vitamins/minerals.

My multi gives me over 100% of all the main Vitamins and is heavy on many of the additional minerals/vitamins.

I am on the ActiGall, started it one month out and am taking it twice a day for a month. They are massive red and white pills that I have to take with lots of Water or they get stuck in my throat.

What I wish I had known/done beforehand:

It would have been smart to have my house stocked up with a wide variety of Soups, Protein powders, and shakes. I agree with everyone that samples (of p. powder) are the way to go, but you should still have a variety already in your possession. I underestimated how tired I would be and how I would not want to go to the store.

I didn't know beforehand how bad the acid reflux or whatever it is, would be. I didn't know how often I would be constipated.

I too thought I would lose consistently/rapidly, I figured coming from my high numbers that this would happen. It isn't.

I didn't know that your taste buds change after surgery, didn't know that chocolate and bread and who knows what else, would taste gross to me.

I'm really glad that I had a wand emulsifier, it made whipping up Protein so much easier and it's easy to clean. I'm really glad that I had a family member with me 24 hours a day for the first week, I didn't know how weak I would be. I'm glad I took off 3 weeks, some people talk about bouncing right back but I'm glad I didn't assume I would be one. Actually, I think I should have taken 6 weeks.