Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changing Tastes: What were the big surprises for you?

For me, it was lemonade. Prior to surgery, Lemonade was a drink that I would choose ONLY if there was no other non-carbonated option, and even then I could only *just* tolerate it.

Post-op: I make crystal light lemonade EVERY SINGLE DAY! I toss in some slices of orange and omg so yum! I literally can't get enough.

What foods/beverages did you love before surgery but after surgery, not so much? And vice versa?

So far the only thing I found I don't care for the taste of is regular Pespi (I had to try it!) lol. I was a Pepsi freak...so badly that I chose establishments that carried Pepsi rather then Coca Cola. I can't handle diet soda...believe me I have given it a really good try a few times but can't stomach it.

So low-and-behold, post surgery I took 3 sips of Pepsi and it was NASTY. So I am going to keep telling myself that and not try it again. heheh

I seem to want salty things a lot more. I was always a sweets person before, but the other day I went and bought a huge tub of stuffed olives and have been eating a couple every day. I'm starting to crave them as I type this, lol. The taste is so intense, it makes me cringe, but I can't stop eating them! I'm also making a Soup with pickles tomorrow. I think it's just because I eat so much less now, so I must be low on sodium or something. I've never craved salty things before.

I was the exact opposite on lemonade ... loved it before surgery ... stocked up on it ... and can barely stand the taste.

It's a bit better after 7 months, but those first few months it was so repulsive that it's something I will drink only if there are no other options.

I tried bread the other day for the first time since surgery. It was fresh and warm and stretchy and GROSS. It tasted like raw flour and I know this was my taste buds not the fault of the bread.

Ugh! I lived on Crystal Light preop and for the first few weeks postop and now I can't even stand the thought of it - and I have about a million of those little singles in my cupboard!

I drank only Water my entire life, and after surgery I could not drink plain water at all. Its been 5 months and I still have to flavor it with crystal light or make iced green tea to get my fluids in.

I seem to want salty things a lot more. I was always a sweets person before, but the other day I went and bought a huge tub of stuffed olives and have been eating a couple every day. I'm starting to crave them as I type this, lol. The taste is so intense, it makes me cringe, but I can't stop eating them! I'm also making a Soup with pickles tomorrow. I think it's just because I eat so much less now, so I must be low on sodium or something. I've never craved salty things before.

what kind of soup has pickles is it????

My taste buds are sooo out of wack. Almost everything I try has a different taste. I find meat is the biggest change. I cant stand it. Ive tried everything...cooked every diff way and still its gross. Before surgery I could eat meat all day everyday. Nope not anymore! Thank god my morning shake gives me 50 grams Protein.< /span>

My taste buds are sooo out of wack. Almost everything I try has a different taste. I find meat is the biggest change. I cant stand it. Ive tried everything...cooked every diff way and still its gross. Before surgery I could eat meat all day everyday. Nope not anymore! Thank god my morning shake gives me 50 grams Protein.

Do you have a carniceria (Mexican Meat Market) in your area? I can't stand plain chicken breasts even when they are cooked, seasoned and really tender but they have this chicken at those markets it is sort of yellow in color (from the seasonings they use to marinade it in) it is called chicken preperado and it is delicious. The seasoning is amazing, i can barbecue it or just dice it up and put it into a frying pan on medium and get it cooked up. It tastes wonderful and you don't need to do anything to it other then cook it. It would also be wonderful in a Soup. Damn I am making myself hungry heheh.

:confused:

Pre-op, I loved bread. Any kind of bread.

I have tried bread post-op, and I HATE it. I wanted to have a little taste because I missed it, so I took a bite. The taste was so bad, I spit it out.

I tried again a few days later with a different type of bread. Same reaction. Didn't swallow, just spit it out.

I guess this is a blessing because of the carbs. lol

I was the exact opposite on lemonade ... loved it before surgery ... stocked up on it ... and can barely stand the taste.

It's a bit better after 7 months, but those first few months it was so repulsive that it's something I will drink only if there are no other options.

I was the same way, that is all I used to drink was Crystal Lights lemonade before surgery,and a couple of days after surgery, I tried it and it tasted like gross Water to me. I then tried almost every flavor Crystal light, and can not seem to tolerate it, and even tried the Koolaid, only thing I can really get down is Decaf Ice-T with sweetner.

Well, some of my tastes changed shortly after surgery and then they stayed stable for a couple months. Now they keep on changing and I'm finding it frustrating. I think I like something, make it and then I can't eat/drink it.

For the past 6 weeks or so I have been making Protein smoothies with silken tofu, fruit or chai extract (DaVinci's), soy milk, whey Protein and a liitle psyllium. I loved them. This morning I made one with fresh mango. It tasted like play-doh and I had to dump it. Next I tried soymilk, chocolate Protein powder and psyllium--inedible. Somehow I could taste the unflavored psyllium powder. Finally, I just grabbed an Atkin's RTD shake, mocha flavor. I really liked them after surgery but now it was just tolerable.

For the past 5 days food is really hard on my stomach. I threw up after lunch on Tuesday. This is a first for me. I think I ate too much. I haven't thrown up since but food sits really heavy. I thought, OK, "I'll just go with more Protein shakes for a while," but those taste terrible now. Last night at a party I ate the topping from a piece of pizza. It tasted good going down but didn't settle well. (Ok, maybe that was because of the 1/2 beer I had before it.) It's just new to me to have to be so careful with my food choices.

Before someone reminds me that I got this sleeve in order to be free of my food addiction, let me say that I know that. Also, that in the grand scheme of things, I'd much rather have these current food problems than be obese. It is, however, disorienting and hard to find a way to get my nutrients in when my tastes keep changing.

what kind of Soup has pickles is it????

Delicious....that's what kind.:001_tongue: