Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

white tongue, NOT THRUSH, any ideas?

I have had a white coating on my tongue for over a month now. My Dr gave me medicine for oral thrush and also what they call magic mouthwash and nothing has helped.

she said she does not know what it is and if it does not cause me any pain then not to worry. She did suggest I email my bariatric surgeon to see if it has to do with my surgery. Still waiting for an answer.

just wondering if anyone else here has had this problem, i am around 9 weeks out from surgery.

Thanks

The white tongue is also a symptom of ketosis - which might be the first thing to look at if you've not already.

I use a tongue scraper on mine..... which helps a lot.

For more info check out this link that Mini Me posted in another post.

Thanks Sparkle

I have read several articles on ketosis, I don't think that is it because they all say it only lasts for about a week. I have had this for over a month.

I will look into buying some ketosis stix to check though.

Thanks again

I had that too for a while - it was really gross. I think it was just from a change in nutritional intake. It improved and then resolved after I started adding in alot more different kinds of foods. When it was just liquids and mushies it was worse, this is just my opinion but I kinda think that eating things with more textures helps clean that tongue off.

I remember once when i was taking phentermine I stayed with a white tongue and cotton mouth! My tongue didnt become sore until i kept brushing and brushing. I kinda got in the habit of carrying a bottle of Water around with me and once i started increasing my water intake it became a little better. I also noticed that the sides of my tongue were outline with little indentations from where my teeth had been which is also linked to dehydration. But things like increasing water intake, sucking on sugar free candy, or chewing sugar free chewing gum may help.

PPIs can cause dry mouth. I had odd coatings on my tongue in the earlier months as I recall. i put it down to a symptom of the detox that was going on. After all so much junk must have been dissolved in my fat cells that was being released into my blood stream again as the fat was burnt off. (I read somewhere that the body uses the fat cells to dispose of toxic waste that it can't deal with, like petsicides end up concentrated in them). My tongue looks normal now so don't worry.

Jane x

Eating and chewing actually help get rid of bacteria in the mouth, so if you aren't eating much - especially early on when you are on liquids or mushies it can be worse. It will get better when you get to the stage where you are back on regular food. In the meantime, lots of teeth brushing will help. I would suggest chewing gum if you can do so without swallowing it, lol and please don't yell at me for saying that! haha - I know it isn't recommended because they don't want you to get gum in your stomach, but I haven't ever actually had a problem not swallowing my gum.

Hey, thanks Kathy. Yeah, full liquids until this weekend ... Everything tastes really gross. This just started a few days ago, right after going to full liquids. My wife, staff, and even 3 YO kid says my breath could peel paint ... GREAT!

I totally remember that, I couldn't stand myself when I woke up in the mornings! So almost to the mushy/soft stage huh? It will feel so good to add in some new foods. My first outing was mashed potatoes and gravy from KFC and it was heaven! Before that I didn't even ever really eat at KFC lol. I also loved a scrambled egg with a tiny bit of salsa on it - still eat that and I am on regular foods lol. If you need any suggestions for food, don't hesitate to ask, lots of people on here with really good ideas.

Eeeewwww I have white tongue too lol, I was wondering what in the heck??? Lol

I have had this off and on since surgery, especially the first 2 weeks. I also experienced the foulest, most dangerous smelling breathe I have ever had in my entire life. :thumbup1:

I got a tongue scraper, and upped the # of brushing's I did daily. It is getting better since I am able to have something other than liquids and mushies.

I still have days though where I feel like I have a white shag carpet in my mouth.