Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Odd Scenario Opinions Needed

As most know, I have been on a primarily liquid diet over the past 6 months. During this time period I have primarily consumed Slim Fast Type liquid nutrition mixed with Silk Soy Milk. I eat as I can here and there and when I do it's covered in "food lube" to get it down.

Here's the amazing part. I have maintained my weight around 234 ish for the past several years. However, with being on liquids I figured I would have lost some weight. I'm only down about 13 pounds in all this time period, that's ALL. We discovered I have an issue with Hypothyroidism and recently (within the past 2 weeks) started taking Synthroid.

I obviously want the band that has caused me so much pain out and definately don't want to gain weight and be over 300lbs again. That's my reasoning behind getting the sleeve done to get rid of the pain and be able to eat a more normal diet.

Now with all that being said, after being on liquids for so long and starting to eat solids (eventually after healing) I am worried about GAINING weight. I know that my Hypothyroidism explains why my body won't easily let the weight off, but I am concerned with going from liquids to mostly solids will cause weightgain instead of weight loss.

Carrie,

First - the "disclaimer" LOL - I have not had surgery yet - scheduled for Friday, but I'm just throwing out suggestions based on what I have read when people are in a long stall.

What type of slimfast are you using? All the ones that I have looked at in my Quest to find the perfect Protein shake have been higher in carbs/sugar then what I was willing to settle on.

Are you getting in all of your Water?

Are you getting in all of your Protein? (Remembering that your body can only absorb so much at one sitting, so if you are cramming in all at once, you likely are not getting them all.)

If you are doing everything right, then maybe it is just the thyroid condition and after your meds start kicking in you will see a difference!

With the sleeve, you will have forced restriction so the calorie consumption should come down and that should make a defference as well...unless you are staying low on calories without the restriction?? (If you are - kudos! I am struggling to keep my calorie count down without feeling deprived on my pre-op diet.)

I hope you see success soon!!!

With liquids, are they carby liquids? And with the "food lube" are you talking Condiments, gravies etc? The only reason I ask is because those are just calorie dense, nutritionally lacking foods. Once you get to more solids, you'll be able to eat more Protein dense foods.

I had a lot of problem foods with the band that are now easily eaten and digested. I can finally eat steak without issue and without drowning it in A1 or barbque sauce.

I don't think you'll have to worry about eating solids/normal foods and gaining. You'll be able to Protein load, and really have a varied diet because the sleeve gives us that option.

Don't forget to consider, too, that now that you're on Synthroid, your metabolism will get back to where it should be. And you might find that you aren't actually consuming ENOUGH on your current mostly liquids thing and that consuming MORE calories might light a fire in your metabolism that you never expected.

Thanks. I do think I am consuming more calories food lubing and drinking them than first thought. I'm 4 days Pre-Op and scared. Please hug me and have patience with me. lol

When you have the sleeve, you can eat small amounts of food, which should mostly be Protein.

On a liquid diet, the liquid is going right through, so it's not sticking with you and you don't feel satisfied.

When you eat mostly Protein, you will feel full for a long time. You will lose weight eating protein and small amounts of veggies, if you don't eat carby things like mashed potatoes.

Don't worry about moving from a liquid diet to a protien/solid diet. It's what you need to do, and you'll lose weight, not gain weight.

Carrie,

You can have all the hugs you need!!! *hugs, hugs, hugs and more hugs*

It will all work out! Don't beat yourself up over what has been done - just move on and fix it so you have the results you want!!!

Life is busy and sometimes we think we are making good choices, but when we look back, we aren't! I'm on my pre-op diet and amazed at how much I can consume now that I'm actually counting without realizing it!!

I'm going to really try and "meal plan" and stick to it. This way, once a week I can focus on what nutrition I need and then stick with it so i don't get busy and fall back into my high-speed and "convenient" "food life" that got me where I am today.

Find a good Protein shake that you like and is reasonable (IMHO, Slim-fast is NOT)....drinking over your calorie limit is way too easy and they don't last long enough!!

Best of luck to you!!!! *muah* oh....and *more hugs*!!!!

Thanks. I do think I am consuming more calories food lubing and drinking them than first thought. I'm 4 days Pre-Op and scared. Please hug me and have patience with me. lol

Awww Carrie, we'll be here for you ! ! ! Hugs, and hang in there. Soon the band nightmare will be over, and you'll find that eating with the sleeve is so much easier.

I'm adding my hugs to the mix! (((((HUGS!!!!!)))))

We're here for you and cheering you on Carrie! I think at this point you have to wait and see what the medication does and adjust accordingly.

AniO