Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Preop Diet Crazy!!!!!

:cry How in the Heck did you people do this??? And I wonder even more how in the Heck I am going to do this.... If I could eat this crap for 5 weeks I wouldn't need a band, would I??? Oh now I am scared... someone tell me how you did this?? Especially if your a very picky eater.

PREOP FULL liquid DIET

It is recommended to follow a low-sugar liquid diet beginning 14 days before surgery. We ask some higher BMI patients to follow this diet even longer. The purpose of this liquid diet is to deplete your glycogen stores, which in turn makes your surgery go much easier. Basically, it causes your liver to shrink, which can often be hard to move out of the way during surgery. It will also help to start aerobic exercise (30 minutes 3x/week) beginning at least 4 weeks before surgery. Here are some examples of liquids you can have during this time period:

Consume these liquids in moderation; they contain moderate amounts of sugar.

1. Juice-limit to 2 cups or less each day. Try to choose juices low in sugar such as apple, orange, grapefruit, V8 juice, or Tomato juice.< /p>

2. Regular Gelatin, popsicles, or no sugar added fudgsicles—3 or less servings each day.

3. 1 cup milk (skim, 1%, Lactaid) or 8oz. Light Yogurt (Dannon Light n’ Fit, Yoplait Light, Colombo Light, or Atkins Brand) or ½ cup cottage cheese – 3 or less each day.

4. Atkins shakes, Low-Carb Slim Fast, Glucerna, or Carb Solutions shakes. 1-2 a day (These can be found at Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS, and Target). DO NOT BUY regular Slim Fast, Ensure, or Boost.

5. Cream soups--- 1-2 8 oz. (1 cup) servings a day. No tomato soup!!!!

These liquids can be taken in any amount since they do not contain sugar.

1. sugar-free beverages such as Crystal Light, Wyler’s Light, sugar-free Kool Aid, Sugar-free Tang, Diet Snapple, Minute Maid Lite, fruit 2 O, Propel, coffee or tea with sugar substitute, or Water.

2. broth Soups/Bullion (all varieties) All Soups must be strained!!!

3. Sugar-free popsicles and sugar-free Gelatin

ATTENTION DIABETICS!!!! For diabetics we recommend 15 grams of carbohydrates every 1-2 hours. Be sure to monitor your blood sugars and contact your medical doctor if necessary. If your blood sugar is greater than 150, spread out these sweetened liquids over a three hour period. Please consult you primary care physician before beginning this diet. You may have to adjust your diabetic medications!

Liquids with 15 grams of carbohydrates:

 ½ cup orange, apple, or grapefruit juice

 1 popsicle

 1 cup milk (skim or 1%)

 6 ounces light yogurt (refer to list of appropriate brands above)

 ½ cup cottage cheese

 1/3 cup regular Jello

 ½ cup regular Kool Aid

 1 tbsp. Honey or sugar (can be used to sweeten a beverag

SAMPLE MENU FOR FULL liquid DIET

Breakfast:

• 2 oz. (1/4 cup) no-sugar-added Carnation Instant Breakfast

• 4 oz. (1/2 cup) of skim milk, ½% milk, Lactaid, or original flavored Soy milk

• Mix in a shaker or blend very lightly

Snack:

• 4 oz. (1/2 cup) of low-fat yogurt

• 1 scoop Protein powder (optional)

• Stir in yogurt for 1 minute

• 1 sugar-free popsicle

Lunch:

• 8 oz. (1 cup) Strained cream Soup

• 4 oz. (1/2 cup) low fat or fat free cottage cheese

• Make sure to chew well before swallowing

Snack:

• 1 can (16 oz) Atkins shake

• 1 sugar-free popsicle

Dinner:

• 8 oz (1 cup) Cream Soup with skim milk or ½% milk

• 2 oz. (1/4 cup) low-fat, fat free cottage cheese (chewing well)

• 2 oz. (1/4 cup) low sodium V-8 juice

Snack:

• 1 carton low-fat yogurt/low carb

• 1 scoop Protein Powder (optional)

Late Snack:

• 2 oz. (1/4 cup) skim, ½% milk, Lactaid, or original flavor Soy milk

Well we know the word willpower. We know the word determination. You can do it if you set your mind to it. Just look at it like you must do it or you won't get your band.

I once did the medifast for three months straight. (5 shakes a day) It can be done. This looks like it will keep your sugar levels steady, so after day 3 you should be fine. It always takes 3 days to get the "junk" out of your system, so day 4+ will be easy...

Good luck!

I know it seems daunting at first, but after a couple of days my body adjusted and I found that the liquids kept me pretty satisfied. All of those liquids contain a lot of Protein which helps to fill you up. You can do it! I lost 12 lbs on my 2 week liquid pre-diet. It was difficult not going out to eat with family and friends, but it went by quickly! You'll see, you will succeed!

I am on day three of a seven day pre-op diet. My surgeon wants me to have three protien shakes a day and that's it. I thought it was impossible but it really hasn't been that bad. I've been drinking Apex Meal Replacement shakes. They have 210 calories, 21 grams of protien, 31 grams of carbs and 2 grams of fat in each shake. That is a pretty good balance of carbs and protien and fairly low in calories and fat. I'm mixing them with skim milk which I know adds calories and carbs but it is very filling and I'm able to stick with it. Here is the link if you are intrested. Also one jug will last you 20 meals and it's only $36. Pretty cheap if you ask me!

Julie

http://products.apexfitness.com/cgi-bin/apexfitness.cgi/3721.html

Every surgeon is different. Not all require a pre op diet and those that do vary widely in what they require or recommend. However anyone who had to do a preop diet will tell you it was hard, no matter which one they were on. The purpose is of course to shrink the liver making surgery easier and safer. My doctor required a 2 week pre-op and I was told to do my best. My surgery was not dependant upon my success but I knew I needed to succeed to make my surgery safer. Basically, all of us here had to survive on pure determination before and after surgery all the way to restriction. The next sevral weeks of your life will be hard but when you get through to the other side you will feel great. You will have lost weight and have a feeling of real accomplishment. Remember the hunger won't last forever. One thing I did that helped me is I kept telling myself that when my stomach was growling my body was burning fat. I actually convinced myself that that was a fact, I would get all excited when it would growl, and I'd say "I'm burning fat" :)