Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

newbe starting her journey

:) Hi: I'm just in the beginning of my journey for what I hope will someday be a vertical sleeve. I've attended my first informational meeting with a local surgeon, and have gotten the referral to the bariatric clinic by my primary physician. I'm 5'6" and 236 pounds. I don't know if my insurance company will pay for a sleeve , but, I've been doing lots of research on it on the internet, especially on this site.

I think that it's so wonderful for all of the support and advice that you all give to one another. I wish you all success on where ever you are on your journey.

Welcome:

Yes, this site has a wealth of information. I am so blessed to have found this place before my surgery. Alot of good peeps and good advice.

Please keep us updated with your progress. Best wishes and good luck.

Deb

Thank you for responding! Currently, the insurance person for the surgeon that I'm hoping to have says that she is appealing two other cases that were initially turned down, and that so far, none have been approved for the sleeve procedure. There are alot of hoops to jump through to be considered, but after diets and exercises have failed to help me lose weight, I am VERY determined to do what it takes. It probably will at the least take me an entire year to meet the requirements for bariatric surgery. Hope reigns eternal!!:cursing:

PS How are you doing? Good luck for a speedy recovery and making your goal!!

Edited by jbland
addtional sentence

jbland: who's your insurance company?

Capital Healtlh Plan of Florida

Best of luck with your journey. I too am new to this and can't wait to get started. I just spoke with my insurance last week and it appears that they are going to cover it!!! My surgeon is supposed to call me this week with the next step. Can't wait to get on the losers bench!!!:cursing:

Good Luck!!!

:biggrin0:Hi:

That's wonderful that you have an insurance company that you don't have to hassle with. Let me know when you get your surgery date. I'll be pulling for you!!! Best of luck to you!

So far so good ~ but I won't really be excited to I have the final offical word and a surgery date!!! Right now, I am cautiously optimistic. My surgeon did not think it would be covered, but I got the exact surgical code and exact diagnosis code and called my insurance company and the girl said that "yes it is listed". I know I meet the BMI requirements and according to the insurance girl the only other thing I need is the psyc eval. Supposedly my insurance does not requrire the 6 month diet. Again, cautiously optimistic!!!

Fight as hard as you can and convince them it is in THEIR best interest also. They won't have to pay for all of your medical expenses in the future!!!

Good Luck!

:001_rolleyes: Hi: I'm just in the beginning of my journey for what I hope will someday be a vertical sleeve. I've attended my first informational meeting with a local surgeon, and have gotten the referral to the bariatric clinic by my primary physician. I'm 5'6" and 236 pounds. I don't know if my insurance company will pay for a sleeve , but, I've been doing lots of research on it on the internet, especially on this site.

I think that it's so wonderful for all of the support and advice that you all give to one another. I wish you all success on where ever you are on your journey.

Good luck, on the journey. It could be a up and down struggle, but just stick with it, and you will make it. Trust me I know I have been working on it for almost a year now, of course I'm going through the VA and had a little more hoops to go through then most people, but I know in the long run all those hoops will be worth it. Welcome, and please keep us posted on your journey.

:001_smile:Hi, Lisa:

Thank you for your encouragement. I saw my primary MD on Friday. He is referring me to the surgeon who held the information meeting on the sleeve and also to the bariatric clinic. Let the hoop hopping begin!!!

I know that you must be excited with a December date!

Edited by jbland
additional message

:001_smile:Hi, Lisa:

Thank you for your encouragement. I saw my primary MD on Friday. He is referring me to the surgeon who held the information meeting on the sleeve and also to the bariatric clinic. Let the hoop hopping begin!!!

I know that you must be excited with a December date!

Yes, I am excited about my December date, but my original date was suppose to be today. I have thought about it all day, and I'm trying not to get to depressed. The good news is I went to Weight Watchers and lost another 2 lbs so that is 8 lbs the last 4 weeks. Not to bad, but I want my sleeve. That is great news about your referal. Keep me posted.

:001_smile:Hi:

I'm so sorry that you had to wait until December, but think how great you're going to look next summer!!!!! Do something nice for yourself today to make the day go by quicker. You are an inspiration to us newbies.

Keep in touch.

:001_smile:Hi:

I'm so sorry that you had to wait until December, but think how great you're going to look next summer!!!!! Do something nice for yourself today to make the day go by quicker. You are an inspiration to us newbies.

Keep in touch.

Thank you, I'm doing great today, yesterday has gone and passed, and today is a new day, it is bright and sunny. Let me know when you get your appointment with the Surgeon. I'm excited for you, I remember how I felt when I first started the journey. Just read alot of the things on this forum, and you will learn alot. That is one reason I'm glad my surgery was postponed, because I found this forum, and have time to educate myself about the surgery. :drool: