Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone here tried taking a teaspoon or tablespoon of olive oil once per day post op, in order to maintain skin/hair/nails as well as help to lubricate the esophagus? Any luck with it?

If I do have to use oil I always use olive oil, but don't fancy taking it by the spoonful. What I have found quite dramatically changing is that since taking Biotin (which I started before surgery) my nails are no longer flaking and weak, but growing very nicely thank you! After years of all those nail strengthening things I tried as well I can't believe the difference in them.

I have a friend that has tried to convince me to use grapeseed oil. She swears by it, and prefers it over olive oil. She mixes it in her fruit crystal light.

I haven't taken the plunge into downing oil, but I do take Omega 3 fish oil capsules which have other health benefits.

I can't do oil anything, for tummy upset or bloat i eat a teaspoon of sugarcoated fennel seeds (get it at the East Indian grocery), as far as my hair, nails, and so on, well I tried Biotin but it didn't do a thing for me. . I tried the different shampoos and other concoctions but it didn't work either. . . soooooooooooooooooo what is too be is to be is my theory now. . .I've lost tons of hair (could have made about 10 wigs I'm sure) but it's starting to slow down now, i'm lucky i don't have any bald spots, but it does look like the rat chewed on it in places. . . after it stops falling out and starts growing again, i'll probably cut it abit. . .

If you're going to take oil as a supplement (which I think is a good idea!), take fish oil for max benefits. There's been lots of studies out there showing that it benefits your cardiovascular system in particular. Cardiologists actually recommend it to a lot of their patients, and that's considering most medical doctors are very skeptical of naturopathic remedies (as many of them mess with conventional medication, among other things). I had some samples of liquid fish oil that I got from bodybuilding sites. Went to the pharmacy to look for it, and they only had capsules - which are MASSIVE and would not doubt get stuck in my sleeve! I'm heading to the Vitamin store and then Popeye's today in a Quest to find liquid fish oil.

I usually take Omega 3-6-9 from Whole Foods, but it's a pill. I'll try to find it in a straight liquid. I think they have it. Thanks folks.

I got some oil at Whole Foods tonight. It's a mix of organic flax, sesame, and sunflower oils, and has Omega 3-6-9. It tastes nice and nutty, goes down easily, and gives me 120 calories that I desparately need without saturated fat. I also got some liquid silica (I know, SAND?) which is supposed to be good for connective tissue including collagen and hair. We'll see. Either I'll keep some of my hair, or start growing a motherboard out of my head...

Edited by pcindy

Ultimate Omega is a molecularly distilled fish oil by Nordic Naturals. Prior to surgery, I had been taking capsules, but it is also available as a liquid, so I have been using the liquid for the last couple months.

I got some oil at Whole Foods tonight. It's a mix of organic flax, sesame, and sunflower oils, and has Omega 3-6-9. It tastes nice and nutty, goes down easily, and gives me 120 calories that I desparately need without saturated fat. I also got some liquid silica (I know, SAND?) which is supposed to be good for connective tissue including collagen and hair. We'll see. Either I'll keep some of my hair, or start growing a motherboard out of my head...

Ha ha ha!!! Motherboard from your head...hahaha...good one!

gg

Ha ha ha!!! Motherboard from your head...hahaha...good one!

gg

Yes that tickled me too. :)

Jane x

Side note on the fish oil. Lots of people struggle with it because if you burp you can taste it later. (Nasty) If you freeze it you still absorb but you won't have to experience the nasty flavor.

Anna