Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't fancy anything foodwise...

I never ever thought I would say this, but I'm finding it hard to eat stuff as I just don't really fancy anything.

I can manage chicken, beef and fish, but not pork, but I just don't really desire anything. I find myself still having a Protein shake each day to make up my Protein as I'm getting bored with my food choices.

I'm having cottage cheese with chilli in it, for some spice but things like deli meats, eggs....well they're just not doing it for me.

Anyone else feel like this?? The not feeling hungry thing is great, but I know I need to eat something for the protein and also to help lose weight. Having been a compulsive eater for years this is just so left field for me its weird!!!:wink0:

Im right there with you. Eating is a chore. I find it a struggle to get in enough food to cover my daily Protein. To me, food doesn't have the same enjoyable taste and NEVER being hungry makes things very difficult. So I am right there with you!

I feel the same. I just don't want to be bothered. I am bored but it is also a chore to make an actual recipe just to eat a few spoonfuls. I have Greek yogurt and a Protein Shake almost every day. I made a scrambled egg with cheese and had to force it down this morning. I actually like having the Protein shake, I mix in some instant coffee. lunch and dinner are just a pain in the neck. I miss enjoying going out to eat with friends. I have gone out a few times but I don't really enjoy it much. even when I feel hungry and crave something the reality of it is not enjoyable and 3 bites and I am full.

I'm so glad to see this thread here. I'm feeling exactly the same way as you two. I used to love eating so much, and now I have very little appetite, and frankly, I have completely lost all enjoyment of eating. I think about the tastes of my favorite foods a LOT, but then the thought of actually taking in those foods makes me nauseous. I'm currently 20 days out, and I'm hoping this feeling is temporary....

I'm with all of you! I think we "overeaters" had such a pure enjoyment of food, that it is really a loss to us to not have that pleasure. The first bite or so of something might taste good in my mouth but afterward all desire to finish it is gone if it doesn't feel good going down or you get that "full" feeling so quickly. Had 3 SMALL bites of steak (chewed, chewed, chewed it!) and 2-3 of baked sweet potato last week on vacay and made me totally sick. Made it a block down the road, pulled in the parking lot and threw up! lol So I go back to mushies again and like all of you - can't seem to bring myself to even WANT to eat since none of it tastes good to me. BUT sure am liking the weight loss and hopefully, this too shall pass! Let's keep our double chins up! ha!

Me too, me too. It's not that I don't have a taste for foods, they smell very nice, they taste nice on my tongue, but the hassle and effort of eating - it takes a full hour for me to eat 3 ounces of anything - is just too much sometimes. As disgusting as the Protein Shakes are they can just be sipped all day long and you're getting your Protein and calories. The pay off just isn't big enough to bother with the eating, it is a chore. If I were to get all my protein from food I would have to nibble on steak from the moment I woke up until I went to bed, and even then I wouldn't get in my fluids because I'd be eating all dang day. So, if I have 4 protein shakes a day I may be gagging a lot but at least I'll get in 100g's of protein, 600 calories and less than 20 carbs and I won't have to struggle, take one bite every 5 minutes, or lose valuable Fluid intake time. But God how those shakes are gross.

Last night I had some tuna with a bit of low fat mayo (2-3oz). The first couple of bites were good. When I say bites, I don't mean proper bites, I mean some food at the tip of the spoon. But then, I got bored. It is really annoying to spend so much time eating and then wait til you can drink and having to drink so much. Sometimes I'd rather drink Water than eat anything. A few days ago we had a big family lunch and I was there eating my 2-3 oz of soft food and finished after everyone else had already finished (and they had actually eaten) while I had spend my time concentrating on eating slowwwwly and getting the signs from my stomach. I really hope it gets better...

You guys! This is what we all wanted, to not be able to eat ourselves silly anymore! This is the reason we all got the sleeves done in the first place. I'm just about 6 weeks out and I'm getting to the point where I can pretty much eat whatever I want, just slowly and in small portions. Sparkle, I'm with you on knowing that you need to eat, but nothing sounds good. I find myself knowing that I need to eat, and even being a little hungry, but when I look through the cabinets and there's NOTHING that sounds good or looks good, I just go about my business and haven't eaten anything. Shame on me, I'm not keeping track of cals/protein/carbs at all, and I'm sure I'm not getting all the nutrition that I should, but I'll be danged if I'm gonna gripe about not wanting to eat. I've been dreaming of this my whole fat life!

It'll get better, guys. Keep your heads up and know that we're all together in this :biggrin0:

I am bored but it is also a chore to make an actual recipe just to eat a few spoonfuls. I have Greek yogurt and a Protein shake almost every day.

I've done this with meatballs, bought loads of very small tupperware containers and froze them in small batches - 5 tiny meatballs in each one. But I soon got bored of them so there are several sat in the freezer for another day:thumbup1:....

You guys! This is what we all wanted, to not be able to eat ourselves silly anymore! This is the reason we all got the sleeves done in the first place. I'm just about 6 weeks out and I'm getting to the point where I can pretty much eat whatever I want, just slowly and in small portions. Sparkle, I'm with you on knowing that you need to eat, but nothing sounds good. I find myself knowing that I need to eat, and even being a little hungry, but when I look through the cabinets and there's NOTHING that sounds good or looks good, I just go about my business and haven't eaten anything. Shame on me, I'm not keeping track of cals/protein/carbs at all, and I'm sure I'm not getting all the nutrition that I should, but I'll be danged if I'm gonna gripe about not wanting to eat. I've been dreaming of this my whole fat life!

It'll get better, guys. Keep your heads up and know that we're all together in this :)

I may have solved it a little by spicing things up - I added chilli sauce to my cottage cheese with a twist of lime and some lime zest and that was actually quite enjoyable.

Finally we're going for a chinese tonight, so I know I'll come home with some take out...but I'm looking forward to that - its been the only think I've actually wanted to eat in a while now. :)

We've been out for several meals but I tend to have the same thing in each restaurant so its getting a little boring for me unless we change venues, but one of them is hubbys favourite.

I'm also ringing the changes a little as our fig tree is laden with fruit at the moment so I've been having them with greek yoghurt - very tasty indeed.

:drool:

It'll get better, guys. Keep your heads up and know that we're all together in this :)

You are absolutely right nurse_ally. We HATE being fat! That's why we had this surgery. We want to be healthy! That's why we had this surgery. We want to jog around the block, wear cute clothes, get looks from guys (oops, don't tell my husband.) sit on the floor and get up easily, not worry about getting diabetes, sore knees, etc. Hey, this is for me too. I have eaten the way I want for the last 46 years and now its time to be healthy. Sure, I wish I could eat 4 big pieces of pizza. Those days are over. It's ok, now I get to be healthy and cute.

As for me, my comment was not about the AMOUNT of food I can eat - trust me, I'm LOVING the small amounts, -just that I would like to enjoy the taste of things I eat. I have absolutely no sense of something tasting pleasant at all. Again, I WOULD DO THIS AGAIN TOMORROW and I LOVE MY SLEEVE. I did it for all the reasons nurse ally and julie 6 mentioned. Just a clarification. I'm not griping about not being able to EAT. Hope that clears up my comment. :)

I feel the same as all of you. For me its not so much about not liking the taste of things but more of avoiding that stuck in the middle of your chest feeling that I can't stand. I tend to eat more soft and mushy stuff to avoid it. I've eaten out a couple of times and tend to get the same stuff mac n cheese. I've been making my own Protein Shakes with fresh/frozen fruit, lowfat yogurt, skim milk and a scoop of Protein Powder and they are delicious. I also eat scrambled eggs with lots of spinach and that is a good Breakfast choice. Poached eggs seem to be good too but I have to eat them very slow. I am searching the internet for more choices that aren't so painful going down. I know we have to eat more solid stuff as this helps the process of creating a stomach again but some days it isn't worth the hassle. The worse is wanting to drink and you can't and taking just a little sip after a meal and literaly girggling it up. But this is better than what we endured before! Good luck you guys!

Nurse_Ally, I totally get your point, and I agree with what you're saying. I can't talk for anyone else, but for me, what I'm saying is NOT that I lament not being able to eat as much food, but rather that eating has become thoroughly unenjoyable. I wish that I could eat the small portions of food AND still enjoy it. I also don't enjoy my stomach always feeling uncomfortably full, even when I haven't eaten in hours. I know that it's temporary, but it's frustrating right now.

i am the same way. nothing sounds good to me. i pretty much live off the same 4-5 things. it gets boring and i am tired of it. but when i try to think of something else to eat, i just dont feel like eating any of it.