Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

measuring my protien....is this right?

i have a scale that i use to measure my Protein, but i'm starting to wonder how accurate it is.

i made chicken breats for dinner and i weighed one chicken breast. accoring to the scale it was 2 ozs. but i can't eat an entire chicken breats...so i'm thinking my scale is not correct.

does anyone have an easy way to measure Protein like chicken, beef, etc.... should i buy another scale?

the one i have i got from Walmart - not sure of the brand.

My nut explained it this way. You have to weigh your meat to get the Protein reading.... BUT you measure the amount you put in your stomach in a measuring cup. So... 3 oz of chicken on the scale is different than the 3 oz volume your stomach can hold. Remember weight vs. volume

so should i just cut it up and whatever fits in a 1/2 measuring cup is 4 ozs?

well kinda what fits in a half cup is 4 oz volume wise which is what should fit in your tummy but to count that protien grams you should then take that 4 oz volume and weight then multiply that weight with the amount of protien in the meat that you are eating.

ex..

1/2 cup chicken might weigh 2 oz

2 oz times 7 grams of protien == 14 grams of protien in that 1/2 cup of chicken

I hope this makes sense cuz what makes sense in my head does not allwats make sence on paper or well in pc screen.

goof luck

Actually, Protein is measured by weight, not volume. Your target is 60-100g a day -- grams, which are a measure of weight. If you take 60g of Protein and then only take what fits in 2/3 of a cup, that is less than 60g of protein. I'm sorry, but if your nutritionist said that you could eat less than 60g of protein (which you would be doing if you only took 1/2 or 2/3 of it) and still be eating at least 60g of protein, that's just wrong. It's basic weights and measures.

That being said, I don't think we should freak out if we don't hit the target once in a while, and remember that there are other forms of protein that are easier to get down -- whole black Beans, for instance, are very protein dense, and chili or black bean Soup is relatively easy to get down. And of course there are Protein shakes.

I'm totally lost!!! So when I weigh 2oz of chicken, it isn't REALLY 2 oz?? OMG, this is difficult!!!!

I'm totally lost!!! So when I weigh 2oz of chicken, it isn't REALLY 2 oz?? OMG, this is difficult!!!!

Nope sorry 2 oz weight in different then 2 oz volume. If it make sit easier dont think of your protien in oz think of it in granms. but there is 28 grams in 1 oz. Good Luck all

Nope sorry 2 oz weight in different then 2 oz volume. If it make sit easier dont think of your protien in oz think of it in granms. but there is 28 grams in 1 oz. Good Luck all

OZs are a weight measure not a volume measure. CCs are a volume measure. Volume is length x width x height, it measures the space something takes up, 1CC of air weights very little. Weight is mass x gravity, essentially weight can be viewed as mass bearing in mind we have constantish gravity on Earth.

Jane x

So 2 oz in weight is HOW MANY grams in Protein when it comes to chicken breast, beef, steamed shrimp?

Grams are weight too, there are 28 grams in 1 ounce. 2 oz equates to 56 grams.

I use the daily plate to log my stuff, takes the headache out of it.

Jane x

OZs are a weight measure not a volume measure. CCs are a volume measure. Volume is length x width x height, it measures the space something takes up, 1CC of air weights very little. Weight is mass x gravity, essentially weight can be viewed as mass bearing in mind we have constantish gravity on Earth.

Jane x

Jane,

please don't take this as me trying to be rude as I am not sure if you have spent any time in USA but here OZ are used both as a volume measure and a weight measure CC's are only used in medical terms. Like most things over here they like to give terms two meanings , I personaly think that it is just to confuse school children and adults across the country.

NTV,

If I am remembering what my NUT told me there are 7 grams of protien in 1 oz of chicken as for the other meats I do not know. Your best bet would be to use a program like mydailyplate.com or myfirnesspal.com that will take all the guess work out of it.

I use fitday.com and I am guessing it is accurate, or at least fairly accurate! From what I have read on the labels, chicken, most beef, tuna and other fish are all about the same, oz per oz. Close anyway. They pack a lot of protein! Thanks for the help!!! I appreciate it!

Jane,

please don't take this as me trying to be rude as I am not sure if you have spent any time in USA but here OZ are used both as a volume measure and a weight measure CC's are only used in medical terms. Like most things over here they like to give terms two meanings , I personaly think that it is just to confuse school children and adults across the country.

NTV,

If I am remembering what my NUT told me there are 7 grams of protien in 1 oz of chicken as for the other meats I do not know. Your best bet would be to use a program like mydailyplate.com or myfirnesspal.com that will take all the guess work out of it.

As a VSG'er we should measure our food by volume, not weight. All different foods are different weights and densities. 2 oz of chicken is less than 2 oz popcorn, for example. When they say eat 2 oz, they mean volume. As in, can fit it into 2 1-oz shot glasses. :frown1: