Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggle to get in enough protein

I am almost 3 months and I met with my nut a month ago. I told her I was having trouble getting in enough food. She said to just keep trying... I am never hungry, nothing ever taste good and sometimes forcing myself to try things just makes me gag. Even at 3 months I still get full very fast 3oz at one time is still impossible to do with solids. It is worrying me. Please tell me others have gone through this "phase" because I dont know what to do!

I am 7 weeks out and I can barely eat 1/4 cup of food three times a day. I actually just sent a message to my surgeon about not getting in enough Protein

He said it is not something to worry about, that peoples concerns on that are misguided

I get maybe 15-20 grams at most in a day. I do sprinkle unflavored Protein powder on my food when I can tolerate it..

I hope this helps some.. just wanted to let you know, you're not alone.

:-)

I don't have a problem with Protein (can supplement with protein drinks) but I am having problems getting enough calories. Nut said I should be at 1200 a day and there is just no way even if I was constantly eating!!!

I don't feel like eating much either. I notice on hot humid days I don't want anything. I supplement with a Protein Powder mixed with 10 oz of skim milk in the morning, that way I start the day with 33g of Protein. I usually eat a 5oz Greek yogurt mid morning and get another 14g of protein. I enjoy my Protein Drinks more now that I add some instant coffee to them. By afternoon I have 47 g of protein and it isn't hard then to get 55 - 60 g in most days. I also eat cheese sticks for quick protein and use Kellogs protein iced tea instead of crystal light.

I think that over the short term (2-3 weeks tops), being a little short on Protein isn't going to hurt you. But in the long term, it can lead to muscle wasting and all sorts of problems. I DO think you shouldn't stress about it, though, because unlike, for instance, Water, you really can just try to "make it up" when you feel more like eating.

I am almost 3 months and I met with my nut a month ago. I told her I was having trouble getting in enough food. She said to just keep trying... I am never hungry, nothing ever taste good and sometimes forcing myself to try things just makes me gag. Even at 3 months I still get full very fast 3oz at one time is still impossible to do with solids. It is worrying me. Please tell me others have gone through this "phase" because I dont know what to do!

Greeneyes this is exactly my problem too!! In fact today I haven't eaten anything except 1 tablespoon of Peanut Butter, I just couldn't bring myself to eat anything else. I have really good rtd Protein shakes and just the thought of having one today literally makes me nauseated. So I've got 4 grams of Protein today and 100 calories, wahoo. If I try to eat chicken, even super slowly, it hurts aLOT. tuna with way too much mayo goes down okay, but you're only supposed to have it once a week if that because of mercury. Frustrating. Having zero appetite is not as great as some might think.

Wendy's chilli is good for Protein and was one of the first things I could get down comfortably. A small will last you 2-3 meals.

I'm 6 weeks out and I drink my Protein rather than eating it. I just can't eat enough yet.

I do think that getting enough Protein is vital. Anorexics have heart problems from not eating enough protein (because the heart is a muscle and our body will use any muscle to get its essential amino acids.) Not getting enough in a day isn't a problem but over the long run--yeah, it's important.

I'm not sure how much protein is enough. The ranges I've seen suggest anywhere between 50-100 gr a day. Vegetarians in the 70s and 80s suggested that half of that was enough. I know that nutrition is an inexact science, but I try for at least 50 a day.

I drink a protein chai for Breakfast (1 cup skim or soy milk, 3 packets beneprotein powder, 3/4 cup tea and a shot or 2 of DiVinci chai syrup). Keep trying the protein drinks. Some are better than others.

I can't drink a whole 'protein drink' - it is too much. I am ordering blue raspberry 'bullets' from GNC. They are only 3.4 oz and pack 42 grams of Protein. I take a few sips in the morning, mid morning and late evening and I'm done. I rinse my mouth afterwards and it is NOT horrible. I could NOT do any of the powders, not even the unflavored no matter how I tried to mask it!! I start every morning with 8 oz of skim milk and end each day with 8 oz of skim milk. In between I like 1% cottage cheese some times for Breakfast or lunch, a half cup is 13 gr of protein. I like to steam shrimp some times for lunch, it's easy. 2 oz is 15 gr of protein. At dinner I get in 2 more oz of meat one way or the other. I lack on veggies or fruit, I just don't have room. I'm never hungry, I eat because it tastes good but mainly because I know I need to. It took me until about week 5 before I got the hang of getting the protein in but I am consistantly getting in 60 - 90 now!! Weight loss is steadier. Keep at it, you can do it!!! It has become routine to me now.

Yeah, I have the same problem but here is what I know - Hair loss COMES FROM NOT ENOUGH PROTEIN! Have a true horror story from a good friend. So we have to work on getting in Protein because even with enough, you still have hair loss. Mine was already thin on top from lack of hormones so I can't afford to lose much more! lol

I was sleeved Dec 29th and I still rarely get in 60-70 grams of Protein. I feel like I eat all the time trying to get it in and I am soooo tired of thinking about it. I worry sometimes that I am eating to much. I have stalled in my wt loss so I feel that I am eating too much. I want to lose about 15 more lbs. The Protein Drinks that I have found that I like only have 10g p 8 oz and too many calories. I just wanted to be able to eat a little bit and kinda be "normal". Surely all these natural skinny people do not get that much protein in each day. I am about to just forget about it!!!

Protein whats that??... I cant even get in enough calories for the day, so Protein is on the back burner. I force myself to eat because my stomach is never settled. I eat more TUMS than food. I found that because I am trying to get in my fluids more so than my food because of the constant dehydratrion status i have had since surgery... I drink Slimfast with low carbs, also Pediasure which has low carbs also. The pedisure goes down smoother and i have managed to accomplish drinking all 8oz.. (yaay me!!) So i get in at least 16g. I have not experience hair loss, but then again my look is forever changing

:thumbup:

I just noticed that I bruise easier than i used too. However my healing is fine because I got two new tattoos and they both healed great.... and thats without my Flinestone Vitamins... (note to self... start taking vitamins)

I hope there is a better method to get in the protein....

My husband eats refried Beans for Protein. Comes in a can, has almost no fat, and is packed with Protein. It's a very thick puree consistancy. I hate it, but maybe it can help. I'm drinking Premier Protein shakes from costco. 11 Fl. ounces has 30gms of protein, which is the max for one sitting. They taste pretty much like regular chocolate milk, which is fine with me.

If you like fish, but are worried about mercury, try shrimp, canned salmon, crab, surimi etc... Or get some fresh fish, cook it up in some olive oil, mush it up and voila. Probably a lot softer than canned tuna. As far as I'm concerned, I LOVE king crab legs, and if I can only eat a few ounces at a time, then it's damned affordable and worth it to treat myself well. Granted, I'm not there yet, at a week out (and completely miserable), but I am going to eat whatever the hell I love that is good for me, when the time comes.

I am getting about 2 of these Premier shakes down per day with slow sips. I worry about someone only getting in <20gms/day. It isn't enough. My thought is that you may have to get protein bullets, treat it like medicine, and get your doc to order you some liquid Zofran or Compazine so that you get through the nausea. At this point, you may have such a strong psychological association between protein and misery, you may need a little pharmaceutical help to get past it.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Edited by pcindy

Consider eggs and egg whites as a Protein source. They go down pretty easy.

Here I go...cover your ears: Woooooooohoooooooooooo! I am NOT alone in this BATTLE <<insert dramatic battle music>>.

Fact: I have YET to get in 80g of Protein a day

Fact: I must be a weirdo 'cuz I can't stand the Protein drinks, shakes, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese slices, unflavored powder, skim milk

Fact: I get about 30-60g of protein a day. And that's IF I totally focus on it.

Fact: I LOATHE the word 'protein'

Fact: I'm only a month post-op and I'm FREAKING OUT that I will be BALD

Fact: Again, I'm only a month post-op and I'm FREAKING out losing muscle mass

Dream: that someday, some scientist will invent a GOOD TASTING protein that I can take in 1 gulp...once a day. I suppose the closes to that is the Bullets. 42g of protein in 3.5 ounces. But...OH MY GOODNESS....try smelling those and tasting those. VOMIT!!!!

I eat chicken. The only fish I like is blackened fish...but have you ever had spicy fish and not allowed to drink with your meal? ON FIRE!! Apparently, my taste buds no longer like tuna (LOVED it before).

BUT....I do like Peanut Butter. Some of you can put a spoon in it and eat it like that. I can't. I need a cracker. So, I do that and get at least 5-6 protein with a TBS and 2 crackers. (and I love it)

You're not alone.