Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question Re 3 Month Intensive Program with Aetna

I am in the process of doing the three-month intensive diet/exercise/behavior modification requirement for Aetna. Does anyone know if this means that I have to see the psychologist and nutritionist a total of 4 times or 3? I know that this seems like a silly question, but the psychologist says it is only 3 and the nutritionist says it is 4 (1st visit, 2nd visit after one month, 3rd visit after 2 months and 4th visit after 3 months). And, does it matter if you go over or less than 30 days in-between visits?

I have aetna. I did 3 dietician visits and one nutritional eval visit. I started in March. The way mine worked was just some time in the month. I did one in March, One in April, One in May and my nutritional eval in May. I only saw the psychologist once.

I did the three month prep as well. Month one I saw the doctor, did my psyche evaluation, saw the dietian and fitness guy and one support group, month two dietain and fitness guy via email and the last month same as first minus the psyche evaluation! :001_tt2: Good luck!

So, how do you even get started with Aetna. Did you see your reg Dr or go to the VSG first? I am in the Dallas area and I am interested in the VSG. What does Aetna require from these 3months of visits - Nutritionist, Psyc eval etc or what do they need in order to pay for the VSG?

Check out: Obesity Surgery. Although it looks like everyone with Aetna has to meet these exact guidelines, from the posts above, I'm not sure exactly how it is determined. Also, not every Aetna plan covers bariatric surgery.

To find a good surgeon, you might want to look for a support group or two in your area and attend a few meetings. I'm sure you will find people willing to talk to you about the doctor they used.

Good luck!

Marilee

I have Aetna select. I went to my PCP and she wrote a letter of referral. I went on Aetna Docfind and found a surgeon who took my plan. I called and made an appointment at Dr. Barker's ofc. His ofc does everything you need for insurance to pay. I only paid my co pays and they told me everything I needed to do. I am 3 weeks out of surgery and knock on wood seem to be healing fine.

Aetna won't cover my nutritionist, even though it's required for my sleeve surgery intense program. I'm appealing it. Very annoying, and I don't want to pay $500 total for all the visits.

They would have covered the nutritionist for me IF there was one here on my plan. I am doing the 6 month diet (finish Oct 1!) so I only needed one visit.

I hear ya on cost though...we hit our family ded. of $10k in June! The silver lining of that is that everything is 100% now. I am sooo hoping they approve this for me and I can get in before the end of the year! We are doing TONS of medical stuff right now because it is 100%...dermatologist, allergist, etc. fun, fun, fun!

They would have covered the nutritionist for me IF there was one here on my plan. I am doing the 6 month diet (finish Oct 1!) so I only needed one visit.

I hear ya on cost though...we hit our family ded. of $10k in June! The silver lining of that is that everything is 100% now. I am sooo hoping they approve this for me and I can get in before the end of the year! We are doing TONS of medical stuff right now because it is 100%...dermatologist, allergist, etc. fun, fun, fun!

I hit my deductible this year too which is why i want to have my by year's end. ugh... hate the waiting game. Good luck to you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches