Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today is two months! I've lost 26 lbs. since surgery, 49 total. I "think" this is good, but I am always fighting a lb or two. Is this normal? For five or six days I will have a lb or two and will go up and down. I'll do this for days, literally before I will keep it off. I am wondering if I am not getting enough calories (I get 450 - 650 per day). I know I am getting enough Protein, 65 - 90 grams a day. Maybe I'm eating potatoes too often. I have baked potatoes or mashed several times a week, but when I say this, keep in mind, a 'serving' is a TB or maybe a TB and a half at the MOST. Little if any marg., and my sour cream is a a creation of my own. I buy an 8 oz container of FF and an 8 oz container of light and mix the two. I use this instead of marg. on the baked potato. I've eaten Pasta twice, eating mosting meat sauce, a third of a cup and adding a fourth cup of penne pasta. I have added 1% milk occasionally so I can up my calories, is this bad??! I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong of if I'm ON TRACK. Is this a mind game I'm playing with myself?? Any opinions would be appreciated!!

Thank you, I think this is such a mind game we, or at least I play with myself! It seems to take a while for our minds to catch up with what the doctors did to our tummies! :) I feel certain that I am doing anything to undermine what I need to do to reach my goal. I have set certain boundaries, there are things that I will not even think about putting in my mouth at this time, and things that I loved before don't even sound good now, thank goodness....but still, I doubt myself when it comes to things like the potatoes!! :) I read on one of the threads where this guy eats absolutely NO Pasta and will once in a while take a bite of a potato and that got me to thinking....'is this what I should be doing?' I wanted to see if this is what the majority of other do at the beginning. I know different things work for different people. Thanks for your input! I feel great AND healthy! Have a great day!

I think 26 lbs in 2 months is great...and I think you're right on track.

Not sure if you have a nutritionist or not but one helps. Goal should be to get your calories in - in a healthy way - and keep your Protein up. Weight coming off is going to fluctuate at times- some stalls, some losses. Key is to focus on healthy eating and exercise and use your new 'tool' - its hard but dont focus so much on weight. That was pretty much the word I got from my nutritionist yesterday.

Even got into trouble for not eating enough calories so she added Snacks in with my meals as I am getting 3/4 cups max per meal.

oops - just saw your calories. yea, everyone is different but NUT told me I should be have at least 800 calories a day at this point and pushing to get to 1000 so it does seem your calories are low

well I can tell you that I'm one who doesn't eat bread, Pasta, rice, or potatoes.

I really don't have room for them if I'm going to get in all the Protein I need.

But I totally agree with you that it's a big mind game.

I lost 20 lbs the first month, 17 lbs the second month, like 10 lbs the 3rd month, and only 2 lbs so far this month. It's very frustrating to not see the scale move at a continual pace..even if that pace is slow.

I have my 3 month appt. next week even though it's a few weeks late...I can't wait to see what my doc thinks and whether I'm still on track or what. I know that if I exercised more regularly it would probably help. I'm getting in all my Protein and fluids and I keep my carbs around 30g per day. I'm getting anywhere from 600-800 calories per day and usually closer to 800 most days.

Why I'm not really losing I have no idea.

Hiya

We're only a day apart surgery wise and I think we're more or less level weight loss wise.... I weigh in on a weekly basis so will update my ticker tomorrow morning.

I've been eating everything, but to be honest have been concentrating more on Protein, I find pork doesn't sit so well with me now - too heavy... but anything else goes down ok.

I've not eaten a lot of bread or potatoes, so figure that if we're more or less level on the weight loss then it doesn't really matter whether we're picking more Protein high stuff (like me) or more carb stuff - like your potatoes...) it seems pretty even either way.

I've also been pretty up and down on the weight loss.... but have upped my exercise this past week having lost over 2lbs last week I thought it might help somewhat - watch this space! LOL

Good luck and hang in there--- and also remember. the lower your BMI the harder it becomes - my Dr said it was equal to some one of a much higher BMI loosing double the amount I had when it came to my one month check up.

Hey girl - it's good to see you, I need to exercise more, and this past week, we must be thinking alike. I started riding my bike several days ago just around the block, I actually did it twice and have committed to doing it three times next week, and going further. It's been hot, at least hot for here and I had a Migraine twice this week for some reason, a high pressure system hanging around I think!! That's my excuse anyway!! I am going to back off the potatoes a little, even though it seems like so few, a tablespoon, but for us now, that may be a lot! I too concentrate on Protein first and foremost, I get in 2 - 2.5 oz of meat at night and 2 oz at lunch, either tuna or deli lunchmeat, or I steam 2 oz of shrimp. If I don't do meat at lunch, I'll have a half cup of cottage cheese. I fear I'm not getting enough veggies, do you? I seldom if EVER have fruit, I just don't have room! I'm having Beans as a side, just a TB for extra Protein, do you ever eat them and I love fat free refried Beans, but I'm a Native Texan, so I can't help it!! :biggrin0: I can't believe it's been two months, I went to a support group meeting today, I love going to them and meeting the 'newbies' who are pre-op and also listening to people who are further out than us!! Time has flown by!! I go for my 3 month check up next month!! Good hearing from you!!!

Hiya

We're only a day apart surgery wise and I think we're more or less level weight loss wise.... I weigh in on a weekly basis so will update my ticker tomorrow morning.

I've been eating everything, but to be honest have been concentrating more on protein, I find pork doesn't sit so well with me now - too heavy... but anything else goes down ok.

I've not eaten a lot of bread or potatoes, so figure that if we're more or less level on the weight loss then it doesn't really matter whether we're picking more protein high stuff (like me) or more carb stuff - like your potatoes...) it seems pretty even either way.

I've also been pretty up and down on the weight loss.... but have upped my exercise this past week having lost over 2lbs last week I thought it might help somewhat - watch this space! LOL

Good luck and hang in there--- and also remember. the lower your BMI the harder it becomes - my Dr said it was equal to some one of a much higher BMI loosing double the amount I had when it came to my one month check up.

I KNOW you're right, my dietitian was hinting that I should be closer to around 800 calories....and they say skim or 1% so I went and bought some organic 1% just so I could up my calories a little. To me that's crazy, I've been drinking skim for 15 years!! I eat so little, and some of what I eat, like an egg, or steamed shrimp....stuff like that, has so few calories, it's just had to get them to 'add up'. I am going to have to give her a call and see what she says. I feel good and I'm eating healthy....I do need to cut the potatoes out a little I think. Who'd have ever thought we'd have to worry about getting MORE calories into our diet??!!! Bizarre! :biggrin0:

oops - just saw your calories. yea, everyone is different but NUT told me I should be have at least 800 calories a day at this point and pushing to get to 1000 so it does seem your calories are low

NTVTXN I think you are doing very well... My surgery date was only a few days before yours and I have lost 28 pounds since my surgery date. We are at about the same place. Keep up the good work and I look forward to meeting you when you get back to Dallas.

Hey girl - it's good to see you, I need to exercise more, and this past week, we must be thinking alike. I started riding my bike several days ago just around the block, I actually did it twice and have committed to doing it three times next week, and going further. It's been hot, at least hot for here and I had a Migraine twice this week for some reason, a high pressure system hanging around I think!! That's my excuse anyway!! I am going to back off the potatoes a little, even though it seems like so few, a tablespoon, but for us now, that may be a lot! I too concentrate on Protein first and foremost, I get in 2 - 2.5 oz of meat at night and 2 oz at lunch, either tuna or deli lunchmeat, or I steam 2 oz of shrimp. If I don't do meat at lunch, I'll have a half cup of cottage cheese. I fear I'm not getting enough veggies, do you? I seldom if EVER have fruit, I just don't have room! I'm having Beans as a side, just a TB for extra Protein, do you ever eat them and I love fat free refried Beans, but I'm a Native Texan, so I can't help it!! :) I can't believe it's been two months, I went to a support group meeting today, I love going to them and meeting the 'newbies' who are pre-op and also listening to people who are further out than us!! Time has flown by!! I go for my 3 month check up next month!! Good hearing from you!!!

Thanks - I weighed this morning and was a little disappointed to see only 0.75lbs down, but its still a loss. I did start tracking cals and protein, but seem to have slacked off with it so might try again and like you, up the calories a touch as i don't think I am getting that much the past couple of days anyway.

Veg has taken a real back seat for me..... I do try and get some fruit in - i was cleared for all fruit, so have been having watermelon and grapes, which I know some people have problems with but I've been fine. I really don't like much more than that.....but I am still taking Vitamins, and having Cereal which is hi fibre to help in the bowel department.

I think getting my head around the eating because we know we need to thing, rather than because we are hungry is the hardest for me....its almost as if I can't be bothered, so I'll have a drink instead of eating to keep fluids up.

I don't have a support group, so use this board as mine... so thank you all!! :thumbup1:

Oh, congrats, a loss is a loss!! I track my calories on fitday.com - it makes it pretty easy for me. I don't know how you do yours, if you have a better way, let me know! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one with veggie issues. I have vowed to cut back on the 'taters :) a little. I was talking to my husband last night. I'm going to call my dietitian today or tomorrow and talk it over with her. I'm not doing badly with weight loss I guess, so I may be over reacting, but I still think cutting back on the potatoes might be a good thing. Maybe she can give me some hints on HOW to up my calories in a "GOOD" way. I don't know HOW to do it. I'm not going to just eat bread or something like that....I've totally eliminated that from my diet other than an English muffin once in a while, a HALF of one....and I do keep thin sliced 45 calorie bread around and in two months have had a half slice three times. I just don't eat bread now. (So now my sweet hubby is eating the 45 calorie bread....he likes it too!!!) I was craving watermelon a couple of weeks ago and got some from the salad bar at the grocery store. It was wonderful. I can have fruit two or three times a week, so I should make an effort to fit it in somewhere! You're doing great, if you have any thoughts on how to up our caloric intake, tell me!!! We're doing good though, we're on the road to success!! 2 months and counting!! Have a good day!!

Thanks - I weighed this morning and was a little disappointed to see only 0.75lbs down, but its still a loss. I did start tracking cals and Protein, but seem to have slacked off with it so might try again and like you, up the calories a touch as i don't think I am getting that much the past couple of days anyway.

Veg has taken a real back seat for me..... I do try and get some fruit in - i was cleared for all fruit, so have been having watermelon and grapes, which I know some people have problems with but I've been fine. I really don't like much more than that.....but I am still taking Vitamins, and having Cereal which is hi fibre to help in the bowel department.

I think getting my head around the eating because we know we need to thing, rather than because we are hungry is the hardest for me....its almost as if I can't be bothered, so I'll have a drink instead of eating to keep fluids up.

I don't have a support group, so use this board as mine... so thank you all!! :thumbup1:

Whoo hoo to you!