Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will my incisions heal!

So I had surgery 8/4 (4 days ago) and I have not been able to sleep comfortably. I sleep only on my back because I am too scared to lay on my stomach or side because of my incisions. I also keep waking up like 4 times in the middle of the night to take a brief walk and do bre:cursing:athing exercises. Which I know is good, but is it realllly necessary considering I would LIKE TO SLEEP!

Any ideas or suggestions? has anyone tried laying on their stomach...are we even allowed to? I would just like to get a good nights rest..

when does the incisions pain go away, where I can actually get up easily without discomfort? I got 5 incisions and lucky for me no drain.

I got sleeved on 7/26 and besides spending the 1 night in a hospital bed, I slept 9 nights in a row in my recliner.

My incisions are still sore but i noticed less pain on Day 10 or 11. I do suggest spending $25 and getting a belly binder. I bought on one and wore it after Day 7 and i was able to go to work this week.

Hi Jen,

I had my surgery the same day you did. I ended up having a drain and spending an extra night in the hospital due to severe nausea. I find I get get my best rest in a recliner. I did get into to my bed this morn for a couple of hours but I was too sore and had to move. Now I am going to try to get down some protien drink, I have not been sucessfull at that yet. To day is a new day!!

I am a side sleeper and I asked the nurse about before I left the hospital she said it was a listen to your body type situation if you are in serious pain don't do it if it is not painful you are fine . I was sleeping on my side the 3rd night after surgery. I was talking pain meds before I went to bed so I didn't have any pain. I think that a good night sleep is crucial to quick recovery. I was sleeping like 10 hours a night and still walking 45-60 minutes a day the first week after surgery.

Good Luck.

it will get better!!! I can truthfully say that I have completely forgotten about that sever pain from the incisions .. I was sleeved in April and I have no pain or reminders about the surgery... I mean I have NO pain what so ever. I still have my good and bad days about food and eating issues. iT si easier now that I'm 4 mths post op.. I have lost 49 lbs so far and i feel so much better. I still need to loose 100 lbs .. and I will by next year. Keep going walking and don't lay around too much . walking will help you heal.. (believe it or not) You will look back and see the difference .. Your on your way to getting a brand new life...

Hang in there - you're still very early days... and its true when people say it gets better every day - just take things easy and you'll find your body adapting. I slept on my side with a pillow propping me up after about 4 days....but only on my right side, getting onto my left side took at least a week more....

I slept on my back propped up with pillows, and it wasn't bad--but I sleep on my back anyway. I wouldn't think sleeping on your stomach or left side would be a good idea because of the incisions. Mine were completely healed 2 weeks out. I never had problems sleeping at home. My pain was minimal to none. You should feel better every day.

Belly binder - you can get one at a sports store or from a cosmetic surgeon. It is mainly a wrap that goes around your stomach for support. It is quite helpful.

sleeping - At home, I slept in the recliner quite a bit and would put a pillow under my legs. Takes a little pressure off the tummy muscles. I was sleeping on my right side in bed by the 2nd day after surgery and used pillows along my side as support. Also put another pillow between my knees.

I have had a history of poor sleeping at night so was taking ambien and started using a cpap machine right after surgery. I am doing much better now and think the weight loss has helped.

Hope you are doing better soon!

I am 11 days out and finally sleeping comfortably on my side now. Until a day or two ago, I was sleeping fairly upright on 2 triangle pillows and 2 flat pillows to make a kind of "nest". My biggest problem wasn't the wounds but the reflux when I lay down flat. Now I'm on Nexium that seems to be improving.

I dont think it will be as great as you think to sleep on your stomach. It took me two weeks before I even tried it BUT I sleep on my side. What I did was I sat on the bed and then lay down on my side. I wasn't able to lay on my back and then turn to my side since it hurt to much. BUT I agree with Kymmi12: I am only a month post op and already Im starting to forget the pain. It is so worth it!! If you dont believe me just check out my tracker!!

Def. get a belly binder!!!! I used mine for about a weeks and a half, until one day I forgoit was okay for me not to wear it! It will keep your stomach tight so that the weight of your stomach isn't pulling on your incisions.

I slept on my side on the third night...but only with the binder. Tried without and it HURT! I too am a stomach sleeper and tried around the 5th night and there was NO WAY! But, a few days after that...maybe a week and a half after surgery, I was sleeping on my belly all the time!!!

Also, I was not getting up in the middle of the night to walk or do breathing exercises. My Doc told me to do that during hours I was awake, not to wake up to do them, but follow what ever he said to do. Hope you are feeling better soon!!

Merry

I am 7 weeks out and remember finally sleeping on my sides and stomach after about 2 weeks... I consider my incisions healed around 2-3 weeks, but all of a sudden weeks 5-7, they are itching like crazy! Anyone experience this? A lot of them were reused from a previous gall bladder surgery.

Hi Jenn, I'm almost 6 weeks out. The last of my steristrips on the big incision came off towards the end of week 3 or beginning of week 4. The drain scab fell off yesterday. I'm feeling about 95% truly healed. I consciously remind myself to not dive down bending over as that usually causes pain although it is fading fast. Slow bending is fine. This week I just starting being able to roll out of bed on my left side. I sleep either side hugging a pillow and slightly propped up. The further out you get the more you can roll over. No sudden, Jerky movements, and listen to your body.