Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes and Staying Hydrated

Hello Everyone,

I am fairly new to the forum and I must say I have really learned a lot thus far from reading various posts :). My surgery date is set for August 11th and I am super nervous and happy at the same time. With that said, I had a couple of questions regarding Protein shakes and staying hydrated after surgery. My questions are as followed:

1. What brand Protein Shakes should I buy?

2. Did anyone have a hard time taking sips of Water after surgery? I am having a hard time grasping the fact that I can only take a sip of Water at a time (I am sooo use to just taking big gulps...lol).

3. Did anyone experience being thirsty a lot due to only being allowed to sip 2 tablespoons of liquid at a time? Does this eventually change over time and you are allowed to consume more liquid?

4. Has anyone been able to meet the Protein grams per day that is recommended? My surgeon recommends 90 grams per day and if I am limited on how much I can drink at a time, I am having a hard time grasping how I will be able to do this.

Sorry for all the questions, I am super nervous and afraid that I may not be able to follow thru with everything that is required of me after surgery; the information that is given is pretty overwhelming.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Lady E.

Go to the food section of this forum and find the post I started on places to get samples. It's better to get samples and try a few things rather than buy a big tub of anything you might not like.

You'll be able to sip and sip and the first few weeks you have to keep at it sipping all the time. After awhile, you can take bigger drinks. It gets easier.

Go to the food section of this forum and find the post I started on places to get samples. It's better to get samples and try a few things rather than buy a big tub of anything you might not like.

You'll be able to sip and sip and the first few weeks you have to keep at it sipping all the time. After awhile, you can take bigger drinks. It gets easier.

Hi Oregondaisy,

Thanks for replying. I will check your post out. I'm happy to read that it gets easier with time and that I will be able to take bigger drinks. Thanks again :-)

Hi Lady E!

Congratulations on your date! How exciting! I'm 6 weeks out and hope I can help you out!

1)I would go to Vitalady.com and order a bunch of samples. They're 1.99 each but you get to have a variety once you're out. And as others have stated, your taste buds change after surgery.

2)It is difficult to sip but I was so scared to drink too much so sipping felt "safe."

3) You do get VERY thirsty and nothing seems to quench it because you're only sipping. I ate a lot of ice chips, popsicles and icy Water (it didn't bother my tummy).

4) Getting the Protein I needed at the beginning was very difficult. I would tell you not to worry about it for the 1st couple of weeks, worry about staying hydrated. At about 3 weeks you'll be able to eat more and drink your shakes that have about 35g of Protein. You'll be fine!

I hope this was helpful.

Lovingly,

monica:001_tongue:

Hi there

I'd suggest getting some different samples as it comes down to personal choice - my favs by far are the BSN Lean Dessert range, which if you mix with skimmed milk give almost 30g of Protein. ( I was allowed to use skimmed milk or Water with my shakes once released from hospital)

It is hard on the sipping Water front.... I was so scared to take anything larger.... I'm now 8 weeks out and that has improved and I can take larger amounts now. But I did get thirsty so just made sure I always had a bottle of drink with me where ever I went.

I still keep a drink by my bed now, which I have never done prior to the surgery.

Good luck

My taste buds didn't change after surgery. I used Isopure Plus RTD drinks to get my Protein and iquid in at the same time. These were especially useful during the post-op "clears" phase, as was unjury chicken broth Protein powder. When I graduated to full liquids, I used Isopure Zero vanilla protien powder mixed with Water and flavored with different DaVinci sugar free syrups.< /p>

I didn't have a problem getting my liquid and Protein in early on, though I've read that this is a problem for others. I wasn't thirsty in the hospital (you're on an IV). They had little sponge swabs for letting us moisten our mouths.

90 grams of protein sounds really high. My doc says 60, so don't be too worried if you can't make 90, you're not gonna die lol.

Check out my blog (link is below the ticker) and look in the archives. You might find something useful there..

Good luck on the surgery.

congrats on your date!!! Try not to worry to much. Dymatized elite is my fav you really can not taste the protien in it. Also Isopure RTD will be great for the Clear Liquids. Sorry I dont know about the rest of the questions as I am still pre op. Good luck keep us posted.

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for all of the valuable feedback and the congrats on my surgery date. I plan on going to the store tomorrow and purchasing different samples. Thanks again and I will keep everyone posted on my progress. Looking forward to being on the losers side :-)