Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slipped band too

Julie, Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to all my questions. It means a lot.

I am so afraid I'll have it repaired only to go through this again and to tell you the truth its not worth going through this for another year. I hate being fat but I hate suffering everyday in one way or another.

My insurance didn't cover the band but i thought it the doctor would code it a certain way and say its a emergency they may. I doubt it but it possible. LOL

I don't have periods now htat I am pregnant but every 28 days I get tight!! CRAZY!!

well TTFN, keep in touch. Good luck to you and your new band.

It is possible that if your surgery is done on an emergent basis that the surgery would be covered and not the band. I know that my doctors coded my surgery the way they did in order to help the insurance issue along a bit. (Diagnosis of Dysphagia). In that case, you would actually have to wait until you had an emergent situation, though.

You're right... that tight thing IS crazy. I have never been pregnant (not the "mommy" type... lol), but I can't imagine why the 28 day thing would still kick in when you're preggers. Oh well.... there ain't nuthin easy about bein' a woman! We're SOOOO special.... lol (just ask my husband.... hehe)

I'm sending you a big hug. And, dear, you just feel free to write me any time you need support or cheerleading. I may not be the "mommy" type.... but my friends have called me a "momma duck." You see... by staying kid-free, I have lots of energy to nurture and support others. QUACK!!

Hugs

No, the more information the better. I should know what I have but all I know is it is the "bigger" more flexible band. I'll get more info from my doc. I think I have the VB and am very happy for it.

Hi Kashia:

I definitely got way tighter during my period... although I don't remember it during my pregnancies. I did get unfilled for both pregnancies for safety's sake. I also am tighter in the morning.

I'd try getting unfilled while you're pregnant and see how things go. Remember, when you're in your last trimester, the uterus compresses all of your organs up... I wouldn't think you'd want to be filled then with your slip.

Karla

I also had a slippage directly after my banding. I could not keep nothing down. I went back the second time and they repaired it, supposibly.. Still very sick, went back again to have removed , and like one of the other post said, the slippage can cut off blood flow and the tissue around the esophagus dies.. Which can allow preforations.. My case was much more complex than the average person. I will probably never really know what started my comp. but it was told to me "slippage". I have A thread also under comp. and if you want to know the outcome please read toward the end. If you start from the beginning it will take a while because of the contraversy..So shoot to the end if you like.. ANd all I have to say is dont take chances, yes money can and will be an issue, but always go with your gut!!! No punt intended! : ) It is usually right! Also a positive note , I had a sister-in-law that went through 2 pregnancys with the band..no complications... So I guess like I said go with that gut feeling.. Do what you feel is best for you and God Bless and Best Wishes...!

Gosh! All of these problems, I am so frightened. I am scheduled to be banded on 6/20/06 in Mexico. I just hope it is the right choice. My bmi is 37.5 Has anyone had Dr. Kuris team do the lap band?

so wich band should I ask my doctor to put? the standard one, or the VG ? I will be banded next month, and I didn't disscuss this with my doctor yet.

I was recently rebanded

What is the percentage rate for another slippage after repaired? I have no numbers, but this has a lot to do with your surgeon. I was told that the only way I would not be rebanded was if I had too much bleeding or too much scar tissue.

Did you pay for your repair and if so how much? No, my insurance covered it

Has anyone heard of insurance covering the cost of an repair if they wouldn't cover the original surgery? no

I am pregnant and can't have my band repaired at this time. Has anyone heard of any bad complications for waiting to have the surgery? Have you spoken with your surgeon?

I am trying to go over the causes of slippage...too tight, throwing up, sodas, ....these come to mind. What are some other reasons for slippage? What if none of these applied to me? I was told that it somtimes can simply shift.

Do you wish you had another surgery? No because of the complications I have seen people have with it. I

During your period does your band get really tight? No

Are slippage rates higher for those who travel outside of America?

hey Karla, I don't have any Fluid in my band right now, I have been empty for awhile now hoping it would repair itself and when it didn't I was planning on surgery but then I found out i was pregnant. I am so afraid that the third trimester will be hard on my band problem. I am tall so hoping it might not get to cramp.

Also when they push down on your insides after the birth, wonder what that can do to the band? mmmm

Julie so good to hear from you again. You are such a cheerleader!! Look at your stats those are awesome. I would "think" if it was an emergency they would have to cover it but you never know right with insurance. The only thing is I probably still couldn't find a doctor here to do it since I went to Mexico. My fill doctor might but he has only done 5 bands so I am not sure I trust him completely. Well he isn't under my insurance anyway. duh

Misfortune-I think I started to read your post, but your right I need to start at the end. What was the controversy over or do i want to ask. The patient coordinator for Dr. sanchez said if it gets to where the band cuts off completely and I am projectile (sp) vomiting I will most definitely need emergency surgery. glad to hear your sister in law made it through OK , is she on the boards?

UPDATE: This week has SUCKED. I have been throwing up and can't keep things down. sleeping sitting up bec of the reflux. MAN this band is NUTS. A mind of its own. I am TRYING to stay on liquids but I am SO HUNGRY. Please say a prayer or two fo rme!!

Analoren- sometimes it does for some and for some it doesn't. Sometimes I can't tell its slipped and then weeks like this are painful and I can't eat.

ok, thanks but well... i cant eat by the mourning but later i can! and afternoon and night is ok and when i wakeup the next day i feel like the things i ate at night. u think could b mayb the restriction im to tide or could be slippage!?

The thing about the band its a very very fickle thing. Some days you can eat something (chicken) and then some days you can't. Never any reason or anything its just the way the band is.

Are you throwing up? Do you have reflux? Have you tried being on liquids or soft foods for a couple of days to see if you might just need to rest your stomach? It's hard to do but sometimes it helps.

I had the 11ccband placed in 1/06. Had my first fill of 4cc in march, very little if any restriction, Had 2 cc in may, was able to drink all the way home[2 hour drive] got home, made some clear broth and couldn't swallow. Long story short, spent a week in the hospital, no insurance coverage, no more band.

So sorry to hear about your problem? What happened? If you can, more information would be helpful to those of us getting fills. Was there a way to avoid a week in the hospital and losing the band or is it just one of those things no one can do anything about. I hope the hospital will work with you. I had a slipped band, in the hospital 5 days and a 2nd surgery. Both the Docs and the hospital were very generous and helpful on how much I had to pay.

Had my 2nd fill, was able to drink at the fill office and all the way home. I don't really know why my band shut down but when I tried to have Soup at home, It wouldn't go down, a lot of burning pain. Of course by now it is friday night. The vomiting started very soon after, and I would feel better for a few minutes, but after about 2 hours of that, it was pink and slimy, and burning. I went to an ER next to my near my home, after 3 hours and me begging them to get a huber needle, the doc finally came in and said that she wanted to do blood and tests and that she would not access the port due to the fact she didn't know anything about the band. She did however try to call the fill center to talk to them but could not get thru. I left that ER and we went to another about 20 minutes away. They tried to access the port but were unsuccessful, but did give me an IV for vomiting and 3 shots of morphine,and prescriptions for phenergan and percocet. Saturday and Sunday are a blur, but I remember crushing these meds and trying to let them trickle down my throat, It may have worked a little and did not vomit again until sunday night, again, it was bloody. I did finally get a hold of the fill person and was to be in first thing monday morn. She took all the fill out[6cc's] In the 11 cc band, and I vomited all the way home. I was truly in agony, could not swallow my own saliva, went back to the ER where they immediately admitted me for dehydration and after many tests was diagnosed with total obstruction. They put in an ng tube which did not go all the way down, but pumped out the acid and blood and I did feel better, gave me IV's for Fluid and a pca pump for the pain, also had an IV with decadron, a steroid to try to get the swelling down. After 4 days of this, still dehydrated, 15 puncture sites where my IV's kept blowing out due to dehydration, and now, no food or bowel movement for a week, the doctor TOLD ME that it was coming out NOW>>>I of course wanted to keep it, but I was sooo weak and really felt like I was dying. It is now 5 weeks post op, I went back to work within 5 days, the hospital worked with me also, I only had to pay $11,000 vs the $45,000 [took a loan on my home] Surgeon settled for $1000. I am still taking prilosec 40 mg 2times a day for the esophagitis, still have the burning in my throat but other than that I am grateful to be alive. I only had my band 4 months, It was placed by Dr.Joya in Mexico, He was very professional and the hospital was immaculate, my problem was my fill. Inamed requested my band from my surgeon to find out why it failed. I really don't know, only thing I can think of is that it was too much fill and didnt really tighten up for a few hours. All of this for 11 lbs. I only wanted to lose about 50.