Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are PB's & Slime Inevitable?

Anyone out there never PB'd or slimed? Anyone? If so, how long have you been banded? What do you think your secret is?

Or...is pb-ing and sliming inevitable?

I'm 2.5 months post-op and have had no complications. However, I have only had one fill and don't yet feel restriction so that might change. I'm sure there are others here who can offer valuable advice.

I could say that I had never PB'd until tonight. 5 months after my surgery and I had not pb'd and I ate a bite of an over breaded chicken strip and LOOK OUT. I have had things get stuck and eventually move down but never come back up. I'm still a little miserable. I've heard people say they've had them last for hours but luckily mine was about 10 minutes..which felt like hours. I guess I need to get back to the basics of small bites and lots of chewing. So my secret, until my little incident tonight was to chew chew chew and avoid major carbs.

I actually do think PB'ing is inevitable and that's not necessarily a bad thing. By knowing what a PB is and what causes it, you learn how to avoid it. For some reason a PB is looked at as scarlet letter material around here...but really, I think it's a part of the whole band experience.

My surgeon calls the band "surgical behavior modification" and you get that by knowing what you want to avoid...the PB.

That being said, one shouldn't seek out the PB. Working hard not to is vital to the overall health of the band.

I've personally PB'd far too many times because I can't seem to stop fighting my band. This is all my own personal head stuff to overcome.

Yes, I have PB'ed and slimed! Not too many times though cause you do remember it when it happens. At least I do remember the feeling for a few days before I do it again! Sometimes I am so hungry that I forget to take small bites and chew well enough and sometimes the food just doesn't agree with me and up it comes! It's pretty yucky, but I guess part of the learning process. I can barely drink in the morning, mostly hot liquids like coffee, but it gets better as the day goes on. My only concern is not getting enough liquids. Seems that I "forget" to drink all day and then I try to catch up in the evenings and that doesn't work too well. I try to keep a drink on my desk at work at all times and have to keep reminding myself to drink. I tried holding my breath when I feel the pressure in my chest, but it doesn't usually work too well. The best approach is to take really small bites and chew really well. Boy, is that hard to do when you are really hungry!!! :hungry:

I do think they are inevitable. But the band is not surgically induced bulimia, no, no, no. I rarely if ever PB, but I do get stuck a lot. I'm putting off going for another unfill because, well, I don't want one, but I've realized that I've been moving to soft foods more and more because they don't get stuck and they dont hurt.

Time for an unfill.

Anyway. I really think that at some point in time, a Bandster is going to get the slimes and PB. I know that my restriction is not constant, and neither is my husband's. A food that you had no problem with yesterday will decide to turn on you today. It's a fickle practice.

I am responding to the thread in general, not to the last member that replied.

Wiki's encyclopedia says, "A common reported occurrence for banded patients is regurgitation of non acidic swallowed food from the upper pouch. This is commonly known as PB'ing and is not to be considered normal but a point to review how the patient is eating."

Well, lately, I have graduated from regurgitation of non acidic swallowed food to regurgitation of acidic swallowed food . I think that the regurgitation that I used to do was from the esophagus, but now the regurgitation is from the upper pouch, hence the acid.

Not that I have the right to critique Wiki, but I think they are wrong. PB'ing may be the regurgitation of food by lap-band patients, but if the food is coming from the pouch (which is part of the stomach) it would/should be called vomiting.

I have my band for 17 months now and I have a fill of 7cc on a 10cc band. I never had a PB or slime :P , only read about it and heard other people talking about it (sounds awful...).

Not sure if there's any secret to it but I never felt too restricted anyway. Always managed to eat stuff several people mention to have problems with: bread, Pasta, chicken, rice, etc - evidently I make a HUGE effort in trying to make the right food choices as I feel that if I trusted it to my band alone, anything would go through without a problem...

I do take care in chewing, I chew, chew, and chew some more. :scared: and I never drink during my meals. Also, I know that if for some reason I'm too stressed out, I'm not going to enjoy my meal, so I try to take my time while doing it.

hope things will get better for you.

niki

I just got my 2nd fill 3 days ago. I have not had any problems with PBing or Slimming....until the day after I got my fill I was hungry and thought I was smart and went ahead and tried to eat something solid. As soon as I had a bite (I thought I had chewed it well, but still too soon for solids), I started Slimming. I didn't know what it was at first and it just kept on coming, and coming! Who knew, I won't break the rules again. I had followed everything the Dr. and Nutritionist had said until then. Live and learn.