Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it possible to drive 3 days after?

I wonder if I can drive myself back from the airport 3 days after the surgery. It's a lot cheaper for me to drive myself and park at the airport than take the taxi both ways, and money's tight, but I don't know how hopped up you are on pain meds 3 days after - don't want to fall asleep at the wheel or something. Any personal experiences? It's just a 30-min drive. I don't have anyone to give me a ride, unfortunately.

Edited by BlackBerryJuice

I think you'll be able to drive IF, and only IF you haven't taken your pain medication (or if you have, have it be 6 hours prior).

Please be careful. Your safety and well-being is priceless and spending even if it's $100 on a cab ride it will buy you and someone else their lives!!!

Wish I lived in your town to give you a ride!:confused1:

Lovingly,

monica:001_tongue:

I wonder if I can drive myself back from the airport 3 days after the surgery. It's a lot cheaper for me to drive myself and park at the airport than take the taxi both ways, and money's tight, but I don't know how hopped up you are on pain meds 3 days after - don't want to fall asleep at the wheel or something. Any personal experiences? It's just a 30-min drive. I don't have anyone to give me a ride, unfortunately.

I agree with sweetie that you should be able to do it but it might be uncomfortable. If you find that you have no other option, as Monica said, be sure you have been off narcotic pain meds for some time.

30 minutes is a relatively short drive, but if you start getting uncomfortable, stop after 10 or 15 minutes and get out of the car for a minute. On my 3rd day postop I took a short drive to CVS and to the gas station. I could have asked my sister to do it but it was a good way for me to get moving once I was home because I had to get dressed and move around in the store. I was feeling uncomfortable (like my insides were squished up) and wiped out when I got back home.

So, it can be done but listen to your body. If you are feeling really crappy and out of it when you get to the airport, bite the bullet, leave your car and take a cab. It will be inconvenient to go back and get it but worth it to not have an accident and mess up your new stomach or hurt someone.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery. Even though my insurance paid I kind of wish I had been able to go to Dr. Aceves. It sounds like a great experience.

Thanks! I'll drive myself there - I'll need to be at the airport before 5 am, and while I have a friend with a car who should be in town, we're not close enough for me to inflict myself on her at 4 in the morning on a Sunday. If I'm too out of it when I return, I'll just cab it back to my place (flying in really late, too) and then ask her for a ride to the airport at a more convenient time, so I can get my car.

Personally I wouldn't if I could get someone else to do it. It is possible but not optimum.

Jane x

Oh and Blackberry I would offer to drive and pick you up but I will be out of town at the time of your surgery. I know the cab is super expensive to get out to the airport. See if there is an airporter bus that goes out and then only need to cab to say a hotel in downtown Edmonton. Just a thought. Would be alot cheaper that way.

check out edmontonskyshuttle adult rate is 15$

I came out of hospital on day 3, and theres no way I would have felt safe to drive.... so I'd recommend not to if you can find any other way.... what does your surgeon say? If he doesn't clear you to drive and theres an accident then no insurance would cover you.

I had surgery on a tuesday and drove friday night, i just wish i had took a pillow for inbetween my tummy and the lap belt. I was able to drive and did,because i was stir crazy, but i went slow when i saw bumps and the next day I took a pillow.

As someone mentioned before, the real issue is pain meds and driving. If you are not on pain meds then mentally you can handle it. If you are driving a long period of time it is recommended that you stop and walk often just so you are not in one stationary position that could lead to blood clots.

I had surgery on the 22nd at about 10pm, and I drove myself home 1.5 hrs. on the 25th. It was fine. Much better than the plane flight I thought. I did have my husband there with me (he had surgery too), in case I needed to switch, though. I think maybe it would be good to have a back-up plan in case you are feeling too bad to drive home. There would have been times since surgery that I absolutely wouldn't have felt up to driving, even a short time.

I live 100 miles from where I had my surgery, and I drove myself there. I asked the doc about driving back after discharge (they day after surgery). He said--well you can, theoretically, but it's going to hurt, and I would want you to hesitate stepping on the brake because it caused pain by pulling on an incision. That was enough for me to stay at a nearby hotel for 4 days after the surgery (they had a special hospital rate) and I am really glad I did, because you don't realize how out of it you are for those first 3 days after discharge. Also it helps to be near the hospital in case of complications. So, I would say stick around a couple of days if you can afford it; if not, take a shuttle/cab.

I drove from texas to california 3 days after surgery. I wasn't really in any pain. some bumps and stuff would make it sore but i wasnt in pain. i also put a small pillow on my left side between me and the door which did help :thumbup: