Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very disappointing Surgeon Check-up

I had problems with my 2 week post-op appointment with my surgeon, so I had to go back today, i.e., 5 weeks post-op, and was very disappointed on so many levels:

2 weeks post-op I was having so many problems that I had to go back 3 weeks later; the same day as the original appointment, 6/24/10, I had to go to the ER because of a fever. They said I had a UTI. After trying several antibiotics (ER gave me a prescription for pills that I knew I would never be able to get down, so had them change to liquid). After weeks of trying, I finally got an antibiotic that I could take. Started on it 7/6/10. Will need to take it until tomorrow.

Tried to get surgeon to release me for solids as I want something other than Soup and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate Protein shakes. He said no. I will start food that has been put through a food processor on Monday. Big Wow!

The biggest problem is that I had only lost 2 pounds between 6/24 and 7/15. Three weeks and 2 pounds!!! That is when the surgeon told me to expect to lose 1 pound a week. I don't understand how a person on a 600-800 daily calorie diet could lose only 1 pound per week! (even though I am not even getting the 600-800 calorie range yet) That doesn't seem possible unless my system has started on a starvation mode and doesn't want to process the food that I am eating into energy. I am tired quite a bit of the time. In fact, yesterday I did a lot of shopping at a home store and costco and when I got home and started to watch TV last night, I slept in the chair for 3 hours.

At the rate of 1 pound a week, it will take me 2 years to lose 104 pounds! When I look at all the tickers, the weight loss has been much faster for everyone else.

What do you guys think?

Terrie

Edited by tbarnes18

Hi Terri

I'm so upset for you..... I know how hard this has all been and really thought you'd turned a corner. Maybe the solids might be too much if you're still having issues and he wants to be 100% certain everything is ok inside.

I know as much as you as we're buddies... but I would have thought the starvation mode thing is likely - hopefully some long termers will come in on this with more ideas. I have also been very up and down on my weight... staying the same for a week then losing, so not classed as a stall, but slow. Remember as well you're at the lower end of the BMI scale so it may take a little longer - with the tickers I keep looking as well and its not fair to compare yourself to anyone with a higher BMI as it won't equate, they will lose quicker.

Hang in there hun..... sending big hugs as i know how frustrated you are.....

Kathy

Hang in there hun..... sending big hugs as i know how frustrated you are.....

Thanks Kathy, your brightened my evening...

I've seen several people post that when they upped their Protein and calories a little, they felt better and started losing again. Hope that helps, and good luck!

You've been sick, and on antibiotics. Your body is storing everything it can so it can recover.

I also recommend the same thing to people that experience a stall. Up your Water, and calories. Even if it's just 50-100 calories per day with a string cheese or more greek yogurt, something to shake things up. If you're active, then you very well may not be getting enough calories. I hate the word "lightweight" just as much as I hate the word "heavyweight", but your starting BMI was a full 13 points lower than mine, and it's true, statistically, I will lose faster than you. It sucks, but it's what seems to the be the trend.

Can you have sugar free puddings, what about thinned out cream of wheat with an egg white tossed in for extra Protein (it sounds gross, but it doesn't change the taste or the texture)?

Hang in there, the scale will move. shake things up, and as difficult as it seems, stress actually causes the body to produce more cortisol which in turns causes no loss. It's the "fight or flight" thing.

I too was disappointed with my follow up appointments. Everyone was super nice, but I have still not met the actual dietician, always a nurse. Several of them had the procedure done, but I don't feel like I am loosing like I should either...I would like to ask the dietician a few questions. I haven't lost a lb or inch in over a week! I actually went up and then back to the original place, and my BMI is very high, so I thought I should loose quickly. The nurse said I was on the right track, and my body was thinking it was starving so it's holding on. She said likely it will start going back down. I haven't had a single thing that wasn't high in Protein or on the list, so I am quite frustrated. I got 2 books (1 from my Dr. and 1 from the hospital) and they don't say the same things about food. She said to follow my Dr. book, but it doesn't go into much detail. It is so confusing and a little frustrating. I keep telling myself that I am heading to be a skinny me, so I need to figure out what works for my skinny version. Did anyone else "stall" for a week or 2? No NSV's either...I haven't lost a single inch in over a week.

I also dont get how a person on a 600 to 800 calorie diet can only lose 1lb a week - that just doesnt compute. It is such an insanely low calorie level, I am all for knowing all about sleeve surgery in case I ever need to replace my band, but I just dont get the logic in this. YOu cannot be nourished long term on that low an intake and all that is likely to happen weight loss wise is a huge loss of Water and muscle as well as fat - not to mention the dreaded starvation mode (whatever it really is) and a permanently lowered metabolism. What is the problem with losing slowly on 1200 or more a day?

As to two years to lose 104lb well, that's how long it took me because I did eat 1500 a day or so whilst losing. I was perfectly and absolutely happy with that. The changes were still gratifying and quite fast, I'd never lost weight so steadily before, but I didnt have any trouble adjusting to the new me. I also have no real loose skin and dont need any plastic surgery, so it may be a factor. I exercised a lot, took my loss slow and steady, learned new habits and all in all, I call a 1lb loss a week healthy, sensible and sustainable and I was absolutely THRILLED with it.

But I would be frustrated and worried if I was losing so slowly whilst barely eating. You really do expect faster loss for that low a food intake.

texashopeful- be patient. You have done great with your loss of 35 lbs in such a short amount of time. I had a 3 week stall about 5-6 weeks out. Your body is still healing. Give it time, and you will soon see some good drops every week! As long as you are getting your Protein and water- it will be great.

I am 12 weeks out, and 50 lbs down. I am very happy with that loss. I still have 80-90 to go!