Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Currently: I am a 43 yr old woman. Mother of 1. Married for almost 10 years. I am 5' 5" & 242 pounds. From southern TN area.

Past: Extremely thin all my life until around 19. Before that, I was the girl in H.S. that everyone said they were jealous of because I was soooo thin. 100-105 lbs. in H.S.

Reason(s) for weight gain: All sorts of things. Bad things in my life, not exercising anymore, got a car so I didn't have to walk everywhere, got married/divorced, parents died...etc.,etc.,etc. But --- the REAL reason was because I ate. Period. MY FAULT. I own it.

Surgery of choice: The Sleeve. I have a few friends who have had The Band with little results. The friends I have that have had the Bypass - well, they have all been sick since. So, I chose The Sleeve due to those reasons, along with the fact that it's the 'best' choice for me and it's the 'medium' surgery on the scale of WLS's. I've done loads and loads of research.

Timeline: Time from calling for 1st weight loss seminar to the date of surgery - 34 days. Yes, very quick. Why? ....'cause I'm Self-Pay. Insurance doesn't cover ANY WLS's. Surgery is the 19th of this month. Just a few days away. I've been thinking about this for a long time though.

Finances: I'm self-pay. I've read that many people ask how they have come up with the $. Well, my house is paid off...so I just went and got a Home Equity Loan and will pay it off in a few years (or sooner if my timeshare at Disney will sell!!!)

My family: Supportive, but nervous. Husband is glad I'll be happy, but loves me the way I am. Son (9) is worried I'll look a lot different. Both are somewhat nervous that I'll stop cooking the 'good food'. My brother (and the only sibling I've told...and basically, the only sibling I'm close with) doesn't want me to get it. He says he loves me the way I am and wants me to feel better about myself. I told him it had nothing to do with that. He'd never understand though. He's 40 and has a 29 inch waist with a six-pack. Yes,....a six-pack and he NEVER works out. I know...it's crazy. So, overall.....support is there. All 3 men in my life will be there for surgery.

Friends: The ones I've told are very supportive.

Pre-Op plan: Magnesium Citrate 1 day prior. liquid Diet 1 day prior.

Health Issues I have: none

My reasons for wanting surgery: Other than the obvious reasons, ....I'm sure all of you can relate to my reasons. I want to feel good. I've been overweight for 20 years. It's time. I may be healthy now, but I will not be healthy for much longer if I stay this size.

My fears: I'm not scared of the surgery. I'm not scared of the pain. I'm scared that I will hate eating since I've heard so much about the hard-to-swallow issue. For some reason -- that is my biggest fear. The fact that I will hate to eat. Also, I don't want to stop cooking for my family. I'll cook healthier...but I don't want MY plans to affect them too much.

My schedule for surgery: Show up at 6am, surgery at 8am. In on Monday....and out on Wednesday.

Preparation: I've bought EVERYTHING needed. Got all my RX's. food. I know the hospital I go through individualizes the plans and I told them that I would not do the Protein shakes. I KNOW I wouldn't keep them down. It would be of no use. So, we will be doing the bullets, and Isopure for the liquid phase. Isopure/bullets/non-flavored Protein to put on mushy food for the other phases. Then, when I can eat...the protein will be taken care of. But I know me....and I'll eat loads of protein.

So....that is me. I'm excited. I'm scared. I am prepared to run through every emotion possible (anger at myself, regret, guilt, happiness, relief, etc etc). My finances are in order. I have an Advanced Directive (already had one). House is spotless so I don't have to worry about it. Yard will be mowed 2 days before surgery.he he. Prepared my family. Told some friends. Researched and researched more.

I'm new to this forum. Only been on about a week. So far, I've learned so much. I know I will rely on you guys a lot during my journey. Then, I hope to 'pass it on' to other newbies.

Thank you for reading this. And I hope this helps you understand me a little better.

I am soooooooooooooooo excited. I've been smiling the entire time I was reading this!!!!!:(:biggrin0::thumbup::thumbup1:

Welcome! This forum is a wealth of information, as I'm sure you've already noticed. As far as the Protein Shakes, the chocolate whey Protein from GNC is really not that bad. And one Protein Shake will fill that little sleeve up and also help keep your hair from falling out. I know you and your doctor will make the best decision for you, though, and I wish you luck and happiness on your journey. It's definitely the best decision I ever made for myself :(

Thanks so much!!

What kind did you get? Maybe I'll 'suck it up' and try one. Is it really nasty and gritty?

Welcome Sunshine! Thanks for sharing your story. You'll love having this board to bounce your questions off other people. It has helped me tremendously! Congrats on making such a big decision - you are well on your way:)

It's honestly not that bad, the chocolate one. I get the 100% whey Protein Powder from GNC in chocolate. The vanilla isn't really that bad either. Cookies and cream and strawberry were both gross. The unflavored isn't too bad mixed in chicken broth, it almost tastes like chicken noodle Soup with some crackers in it. I needed something with a little more flavor than just broth so I bought ramen noodles and just threw away the noodles and made the packet with hot Water. To me, the chocolate isn't gritty, but it is a little thick. And when you're able to make it with milk on the full liquid phase, it's REALLY yummy. I'm looking forward to putting some Peanut Butter in it and whizzing it up with my stick blender. I can also definitely tell by my energy level when I haven't had enough Protein. I don't really feel hungry, but I get shaky and tired. One chocolate Protein Shake and I feel TONS better.

Welcome, glad you shared. It sounds to me like you are ready for this from every angle, which is awesome. Best of luck, keep us posted.

I used to be seriously into bodybuilding (and plan to resume that as soon as I'm cleared for weight-lifting!) so I've tried a number of Protein powders. The ABSOLUTE best I've ever tried is Whey Gourmet. It's not cheap, but there's a reason why. They have a good variety of flavors, too. I've only ever had it with 1% or skim milk, so I don't know if it'd be a tad grittier with Water, but with milk it's really creamy and yummy. I can always find several basic flavors at Walmart, and I'm sure every nutrition store carries it. Here in Canada, it's quite expensive - $40 for 2 lbs - but I recall it being more like $25 for 2 lbs when I lived in the US.

For a cheaper alternative, Dymatize Elite Protein powders are good. You can find them on discount websites for like $30 for 5 lbs. I've only ever tried the chocolate and chocolate Mint flavors, so I cannot vouch for other varieties. They are a tad more gritty, but still good.

If you want to order online, bodybuilding.com has quick service and decent prices, and there's some store called something like allvitamins.com or something that's very cheap - just google the name of the protein powders and find a cheap seller online.

Whey Gourmet? I may try it if you're saying that it's THE BEST. I have no idea why I am having trouble doing the Protein Drink thing. But, I may try that. I am going to Walmart tomorrow. Thanks soooo much.

Sunshine you shold go onto various sites and either order there sample pack or e-mail them and have them send you free samples. I agree with you on that protien powders are not so yummy but if you can handel to bullet you will be abel to find something you like. Also if you go under food and nutrition - protien driks/powders Oregindaisy has a thread up of a few places you can go and get samples tag.pngPlaces to get liquid Protein samples (multipage.gif1 2)

Oregondaisy

This may also help.

Also you said you were worried about takeing the "good food" away from your family, but if you think about it the"good food" is probably part of what got you to ware you are today. so if you are cooking food that is GOOD for you then it is also good for them to, they will get used to it and thank you in the long run. Plus there is no reason that you cant make the good for you food tast good you just need to be a little more creative!

Good luck with your journey keep us posted!