Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

470 lbs Flight Question

I am in the process of getting a sleeve set up. I would have to fly to Mexico. I am 470lbs and I am seriously scared of flying. Not because of the plane, but because of my size vs the size of the plane inside. I will purchase 3 seats (2 for me 1 for spouse) all in a row.

I have already spoken to airline customer service and gotten seat dimensions, belt extender info, and how to board prior to everyone else. None of that seems very reassuring to me though. I have read some of the airline industry forums and one of the biggest peeves is fat people. Since my spouse and I are getting three seats together, no one else should be inconvenienced, but you know how it can go sometimes.

Is there anyone say 350+ that has gotten this done in mexico and had to fly there? How was your experience? Was the flight less/more stressful then you thought it would be? Any tips or helpful hints?

Thanks in advance ;)

Hi, I don't have any advice here but I just wanted to wish you all the luck and good wishes in the world. It must be extremely difficult for you at the moment.

Jane x

You should be fine, you are actually being proactive and everyone will appreciate.

Try to make sure that the seats you do get, have armrests that swing up, sometimes they want to make it "more comfortable" for larger people, and offer the emergency row, well those armrests are static.

Also, make sure you have your seat assignments before your flight, print those out and on the day of your flight make sure they are honoring those seat assignments.

To figure out what seats work best or are closest to the front of the plane, so you don't have to "inconvenience" people when it takes you longer to get off the plane.....Airline Seating Charts - Best Airplane Seats - SeatGuru

My husband is 360# and I am 300# (I'm actually in Mexico now, having surgery in a few hours, already at hospital), we've never bought an extra seat....me let people deal, but I guess it's how you carry your weight, my hudband's is all belly so he can sit in the seat and just needs an extender, me, well I'm all legs and butt, but don't usually need an extender.

If you want you can buy your own extender, and that way you don't have to have the skinny stewardess look at you funny....LivingXL.com - Large chairs, sturdy scales and more for big, tall & plus sized living.

Also check to see if it ends up being less expensive to buy business class tickets.

I see you are in Seattle, check to see what plane you'll be flying, some of the regional jets are only 2 seats on each side or 2/1 configuration.

Hope all goes well.....best of luck....and don't worry, let the other's get annoyed....see you will never see them again, and on your way back, you'll have started your journey to a "new, healthier, you!"

I'm not a big fan of flying either. You have done all the right things. You purchased the extra seat, so ignore the other passengers. This is your time. You are making a life change to be healthier for you and your family. So, who cares what they think. I think you are very brave and are doing the right thing. Best of luck.

I just want to wish you good luck with the surgery, and soon you will not have to worry about these things anymore.

It is a sad commentary on our society that a woman is flying to Mexico to have 85% of her stomach removed and her biggest concern is the flight. We have all been there in one way or another my friend. Best of luck to you, hope you love your sleeve as much as I love mine!

Edited by Robbiehage

Jane,

I think you're going to be fine because you're being proactive. Purchasing the extra seat is clearly the most important hurdle. No one can put you off the plane because you won't be infringing on another passenger's seat space. I think when you make your reservation you could ask to have a special designation put on your ticket, maybe like a medical patient or something. This may be what you meant when you talked about asking to board first. It may be more important on your return flight because it will be more difficult to walk postop and you may need a wheelchair and/or golf cart transportation within the airport. Good luck and best wishes. Keep us up to date on your plans.

In a few months I'm going to be looking for your post on the NSV (non scale victories)thread that says how good it feels when you fly and fit comfortably in one seat !!!!!

I'm sorry it sucks right now.... but this is the last time !!!!!

hi!

you will be fine.. as you have the 3 seats.. no one should hassel you.. and you know what.. if anyone does, too bad..if all they have in their life is hasseling others, well I would be sad for them... and look at what you are doing... it takes courage my friend to go out and have this surgery... focus on that.. and how healthy you will be after this!!!

I am 390, and I fly all the tme (about twice a month lately), and I use an extender, and I shoot up the armrest when I get in. I have NEVER had a problem with anyone.

I will be going to Mexico in september!! can not wait...

focus on you.. healing well, and getting healthy.. all th negative stuff does not matter!!!

Hey all, thank you for all the responses! I didn't expect it. I very much appreciate the information provided as well as the encouragement.

I know that 470 is an insane amount, but I am actually pretty active in spite of it, I go to school and walk all over campus, just slower than most everyone else. I can't wait to get this done and start getting healthier, and yes...I am more worried about the flight then the slice and dice of my insides...pretty funny.

Thanks again all, Probably go back to lurking, unless some other weird question pops up.:)

I was 310 at my highest and I flew at that weight - I know it will be much different for you but just wanted to give my 2 cents. You have to do your very best to have a thick skin for the flight. I am VERY sensitive emotionally. I am the type that tries so hard not to inconvenience anyone, etc... but no matter what, it seems people will not like us on their plane, will not want us anywhere near them (even if not inconveniencing them), etc. For me that has just been a fact. Try to keep your chin up and exude confidence, yet politeness. If you put your head down and avoid contact with everyone, that shows them they have a right to look down on you and that YOU feel they are better than you too. Be yourself, talk to your hubby. Perhaps see if you can arrange with the airline to let you on first along with people in wheelchairs etc, in a way it is a medical necessity. Especially on the way back, you will have just had surgery. Maybe you can even get away with telling them that on the way there. This will help because you can already be seated & situated without feeling as though everyone is watching you struggle to make your way there, or worrying about rubbing up against people as you get to your seat. And of course, just wait and be the last one to get off the plane for the same reason. For me it is just easier than dealing with people!!!

Most of all know, you are taking the step so that you won't have to feel like this anymore.

Wishing you ALL the best in this journey (both literally and figuratively.) :blush:

The best thing you can do for yourself is board the plane with confidence. It's much less embarrassing to ask the flight attendant for the extender as soon as you walk on the plane than to wait for her to walk up the aisles making sure folks have buckled and you don't have it yet. I'm around 400# and have been buying two seats for a few years now. The first person you see when boarding is the flight attendant. I just smile, say hello and quickly, politely (eye contact important) ask "Could I get a seatbelt extender for seat 12C please?" (or whatever seat it is). They've always been extremely polite back and discreet when delivering the belt. As long as you're not encroaching on someone else's space, other passengers shouldn't bother you. Maintain your confidence. You have as much right to be there as anyone. Good luck to you!

I agree with ChiGirl. As soon as you get on snag a flight attendant and tell them you would like a seat extender and your seat number. I'm around 350 and I was able to buckle without but it was sooooooo uncomfortable. I moved to Taiwan about a year ago and it was the first time I broke down and asked for it (20 hours on a plane I was not having the belt dig into my sides for that long). I just tried to seem confident like it wasn't no thing. And definitely get a seat where the arm rest goes up. Then it's like your sitting on a couch with your husband and its so much more comfortable!

Good luck with your trip and surgery! This will be the last uncomfortable flight! I'm so looking forward to fitting in the seat easily when I fly back to America to visit!