Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soda's...what is the deal?

Pardon my ignorance, but why is it that we are supposed to avoid soda? I am not a soda drinker per se, but once a month or so, I enjoy a can of ginger ale.

Pre-surgery I had decided on bypass, but changed my mind a couple weeks prior to surgery. All my nutritional instruction was based on bypass surgery and I understand why soda would not be a good idea for a bypass.

Can someone enlighten me please?

The sugar is bad for you, caffeine can stimulate your appetite and the gas bubbles can put undue pressure on your new stomach. I've seen many people say it can be painful too. Plus there are much better ways to get your hydration in, like Water.

Some surgeons ban it, some say only do soda that's been left out to get flat, some ban it immediately post-op but say you can have it if you tolerate it... it really depends on the surgeon.

I personally gave it up several months before my surgery and haven't missed it yet. I also gave up drinking straws at the same time and when I tried drinking through a straw a few weeks ago, I was surprised how it hurt like the dickens so I'm definitely not that eager to test soda.

Diet ginger ale has no sugar or caffeine... so I am going to give it a shot. It has nothing to do with hydration, as I have always been a Water drinker. I don't drink alcohol, so sometimes to be sociable with my friends that drink, I like a ginger ale.

Are there any other reasons not to try one?

OK - no flaming needed. This is only my personal experience that I am sharing. I know that many people say it is a no-no, but I drink Diet Soda and don't have any problems.

I actually do not find it to be a trigger - it fills me up & I don't want to eat. I find that fountain drinks are much easier than bottled/caneed. But, this is only my personal experience.

I do not count is as my 64+ oz a day since I do enjoy the caffeine in my diet soda.

Like most things, just take it slow at first to make sure you tolerate it well. :001_tt2:

like most things, just take it slow at first to make sure you tolerate it well. :001_tt2:

absolutely!

I also agree fountain drinks are much easier. Once I drank a whole can of DrP little by little, but other than that I just want a few sips and I'm done. I burp a ton. I can't drink it with food.

I have trouble drinking enough liquids, so I stay away from it b/c it sure isn't the same thing - it dehydrates me.

It's along the same lines as some surgeons say no Pasta, rice, potatoes for the rest of our lives. Which in my humble, non-medical opinion, is a big pile of horse manure.

I drink soda weekly. I choose to drink non-caffeinated most of the time because it counts towards my clear liquid ounces for the day. I don't drink diet either. I hate stuff sweetened with aspartame, and most diet stuff has it as the sweetener. I do drink a Coke Zero occasionally, but that's the only "diet" drink I can really stomach.

My surgeon does not believe it'll stretch our stomachs at all. liquid is liquid. Water goes in and runs out, tea goes in and runs out, why would soda sit around in there and stretch the stomach? For me, it's common sense, and that's what my surgeon believes. Of course, in the losing stage I avoided them because it's just wasted calories, sodium, and sugar, but now in maintenance, I drink them without issue. I drink, burp, and go about my day. Heck, sometimes I don't even burp.

When I go out with my girlfriends, I drink rum and cokes. Again, zero issues.

So is the only issue with the caffeine that it can increase appetite? I mistakenly drank caffeinated warm tea a few days after surgery and I was wondering for a minute if I did something to mess up my sleeve. When I realized it, I switched to decaffeinated right away. I was too nauseaus to have it increase my appetite.

I'm wondering about this because I eventually want to go back to caffeinated tea. I need some kick every now and then and I'm going to avoid even trying diet soda for a long time. When is it safe to go back to caffeine?

So is the only issue with the caffeine that it can increase appetite? I mistakenly drank caffeinated warm tea a few days after surgery and I was wondering for a minute if I did something to mess up my sleeve. When I realized it, I switched to decaffeinated right away. I was too nauseaus to have it increase my appetite.

I'm wondering about this because I eventually want to go back to caffeinated tea. I need some kick every now and then and I'm going to avoid even trying diet soda for a long time. When is it safe to go back to caffeine?

I was cleared for caffeine as soon as I was able to get in all my clear fluids.

Just to let you know, I now drink a minimum of 12-20oz of coffee per day, and I'm still never hungry:thumbup:

I've been drinking caffeine for months on end, and have never had any direct correlation to hunger with caffeine. It is a stimulant, but the only thing it stimulates is my bowels. TMI, I know, but it keeps me regular.

I was cleared for caffeine as soon as I was able to get in all my clear fluids.

Just to let you know, I now drink a minimum of 12-20oz of coffee per day, and I'm still never hungry:thumbup:

I've been drinking caffeine for months on end, and have never had any direct correlation to hunger with caffeine. It is a stimulant, but the only thing it stimulates is my bowels. TMI, I know, but it keeps me regular.

Cool! I'll definitely ask my doc about this. I am ready to go back to that now that I can drink without pain. Thanks

I've been afraid to drink a pepsi (which is really the only soda I drank post-op and that wasn't very often). I tried a sip and the carbonation felt wierd. I'm sure I'll get to the point where Tiffy is and not worry about it. But I feel like others that I'm still worried about getting enough good fluids. I don't like diet pops either and I don't want the sugar in a pepsi right now. So I'll wait on pops until I'm able to drink Water more normally.

Doctors say that the carbonation will stretch the stomach out but that still seems to be a matter of opinion. I don't drink it because I hate diet soda and the regular has too many calories.

Well...in my humble opinion...the hardest thing about this whole thing is giving up diet soda. When I go to a restaurant with my husband, I order Water, but don't drink it cause I know I can't drink for 30 minutes after I eat. So why pay for a soda or tea.

However, just like when I was pregnant, I look at him drink his tea or soda and my mouth WATERS !!! I have even asked him to describe to me how it feels swirling around his tongue !!! I see the condisation (sp) on the outside of the glass, hear the ice jingle in the glass, and watch that delicious Fluid go up through the straw and it almost kills me.

So tonight, I bought some Diet Rite and some Diet Root Beer. I am planning on leaving them open on the counter before I drink them, but I'm gonna give it a try.

Forget the icecream, cake, Cookies...even the Mexican food...give me a Coke !!!!

By the way...I'm 3 1/2 months postop now. Hoping I can do this.