Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do YOU eat in a typical day?

I start out every day w/ a Protein shake still I put double scoop in it (48g protein)

1 c. 1% cottage cheese-This takes me two seperate sittings and I have to eat very slow but it leaves me full.

2-3oz. Cubed Steak

1c strawberries and 2 wedges light laughing cow cheese

My restriction varies from day to day. There are some days that food is not at all appealing and I will do a lot of mushie foods those days. I have also really tried to seek out foods that are very filling to me, and I am careful about carbs unless they come from sources like fruits or veggies. I am still mindful of them, but way more willing to get carbs from natural sources rather then simple carbs (white breads, rice, Pasta.)

If you are eating those quantities in 10 minutes or less I would guess that you also need to slow way down. Most surgeons advise spacing your meal over 30 minutes. You may not be getting the signal from your body that you are full. Good luck!

Yesterday I ate kind of a lot:

Breakfast: costco Premium Protein shake (I have a Protein Shake for Breakfast every morning. 30 grams of Protein in 160 calories is a great head start on my protein for the day.)

Lunch: ordered half a tuna melt sandwich at a restaurant and was able to eat most of it, but was very full.

Snack: two very small fresh peaches off the tree in my yard

Dinner: one slider (2 oz ground beef on a mini bun, 1/4 oz cheese, a bit of caramelized onion), 2 oz french fries

Snack: small fudgesicle

Calories for the day: Between 850 and 900.

The coordinator with Dr. Almanza checked and said that he said he is pretty sure he used a 32 bougie. He said to give it 4 months and if I feel that i am still not getting the restriction that i need to come back down for an endoscope to see what's going on. I'm going to try the 5 day pouch test now, and see if getting off carbs helps. It seems that I didn't have this issue with hunger or being able to eat a lot until i started eating a lot of carbs again. I may need to retrain my sleeve what it felt like to be fed after surgery, but i'll probably have to get the insulin and cravings down in order to do that.

JillianMarie

What I didn't hear in all the stuff you mentioned was how many ounces of liquids you are getting in during the day... I have a lot of liquids during the day that it makes it hard for me to eat anything. My surgery was on June 10th and I'm still not supposed to be having much in the way of food, but I did sneak a few things in today:

Caffeine free tea: 10 oz

2 deviled egg halves for breakfast, got me so full that I had to sit it out for a while

12 oz of a slushie

8 oz of chicken broth

It is 4 pm now and I haven't even had a Protein shake yet and I am so full that I could pop right now. Need to stop drinking until 7ish so I can get a Protein Shake down since I haven't had much Protein today.

Terrie

JillianMarie

What I didn't hear in all the stuff you mentioned was how many ounces of liquids you are getting in during the day... I have a lot of liquids during the day that it makes it hard for me to eat anything. My surgery was on June 10th and I'm still not supposed to be having much in the way of food, but I did sneak a few things in today:

2 deviled egg halves for breakfast, got me so full that I had to sit it out for a while

12 oz of a slushie

8 oz of chicken broth

It is 4 pm now and I haven't even had a Protein shake yet and I am so full that I could pop right now. Need to stop drinking until 7ish so I can get a Protein Shake down since I haven't had much Protein today.

Terrie

Terrie- I know that i am drinking over 64 oz a day of calorie free beverages, however I am not sure of the exact amount. I drink 2 16 oz bottles of diet peach tea a day, usually a mug of coffee sweetened with splenda and skim milk, about 32 oz of crystal light, and about 2 cans of diet coke. I take medications that cause dry mouth and I am ALWAYS thirsty, so I seem to be drinking on something all the time.

I know there is a difference of opinion on this subject, but most doctors say no carbonation because it will stretch out the sleeve.

I know there is a difference of opinion on this subject, but most doctors say no carbonation because it will stretch out the sleeve.

Carbonation is a NO NO with my doctor and with every doctor I considered....I'm not even suppose to let one sit out and go flat.

Carbonation is a NO NO with my doctor and with every doctor I considered....I'm not even suppose to let one sit out and go flat.

i heard that too......

Jillian - can I ask when are you managing to drink so much and eat so much - are you stopping the liquids before and after eating or do you drink with your meals - I know from reading other posts although the surgeons say don't drink with meals as it means you can eat more as it slides thru the sleeve.

JillianMarie

2 deviled egg halves for Breakfast, got me so full that I had to sit it out for a while

12 oz of a slushie

8 oz of chicken broth

Terrie

I may be eating a little more than you, but are you ever hungry? I'm not. It is so weird. I had surgery the day after you. I've had the easiest time ever. I'm just working to get in my protein. I started out today with a half cup of cottage cheese, a staple with me now days, I have some every night with dinner. High in protein. I had an egg and an egg white for lunch and sprinkled a little bit of 2% cheese on them. I drank about a third of a protein bullet and I've been drinking Decaf iced tea all day, I'm on my second 16 oz glass, I have about half of it down. I spend my days drinking it seems! I never have room for more than a few green Beans or a couple of bites of mashed potatoes or black eyed peas. I don't snack at all, never any fruit, I had a small, LF small cheese stick one time just because it was 7 grams of protein. I eat because it tastes good, to eat with my husband and because I know I need to. How about you?

Silly question.. how much time should you wait between drinking liquids before and after?

Silly question.. how much time should you wait between drinking liquids before and after?

My instructions are to drink until I take the first bite then resume drinking after 30 minutes at a minimum after a meal.

With the band and RNY, we have/had to stop drinking 30 minutes before meals as well. It's because the pouch that the band and RNY offers fills up with liquid that has to slowly seep through before the pouch is empty. With the sleeve, we have a normal stomach, no pouch, and liquids hit the pyloric valve and goes right through, no need to wait before eating.

Some surgeons still tell their sleeve patients to stop drinking 30 minutes before eating, but "most" do not require this as a normal eating/drinking practice.

Awesome! Thank you so much! I am still learning!! The worst part is going to the bathroom... Prior to the surgery I was always constipated and now I go more often (2 or 3 times a week) but, the pain and discomfort is not fun and when I have to go, I better be there FAST... Does that make sense? I have had my gall bladder out so I don't know if that makes a difference.

The way I can describe the pain is like --- eat 20 PRUNES and then wait to go type of feeling. HORRIFIC!

My instructions are to drink until I take the first bite then resume drinking after 30 minutes at a minimum after a meal.

With the band and RNY, we have/had to stop drinking 30 minutes before meals as well. It's because the pouch that the band and RNY offers fills up with liquid that has to slowly seep through before the pouch is empty. With the sleeve, we have a normal stomach, no pouch, and liquids hit the pyloric valve and goes right through, no need to wait before eating.

Some surgeons still tell their sleeve patients to stop drinking 30 minutes before eating, but "most" do not require this as a normal eating/drinking practice.

I may be eating a little more than you, but are you ever hungry? I had surgery the day after you. I've had the easiest time ever. I'm just working to get in my Protein. I started out today with a half cup of cottage cheese, a staple with me now days, I I never have room for more than a few green Beans or a couple of bites of mashed potatoes or black eyed peas. I don't snack at all, never any fruit, I had a small, LF small cheese stick one time just because it was 7 grams of Protein. I eat because it tastes good, to eat with my husband and because I know I need to. How about you?

I'm still not supposed to eat anything, but I have been sneaking a bit. My surgeon wants me to do 5 weeks of softs, i.e., cream Soups, yogurt, etc. I haven't tried the cottage cheese. Usually, I don't get much of anything besides caffeine free tea; hot in the am, then cold the rest of the day. I do get hungry, but more so it is craving a certain food that I can't have yet. Even if I do eat something, like the deviled egg halves, not much goes down. I do get a little nauseous sometimes, but I rest, relax and don't put anything else in my stomach for a couple of hours. Knock on wood that I haven't gotten sick.

My day usually consists of a protein shake for breakfast, tea, some Soup (1/4 cup for lunch), shake for dinner (or just a cup of sugar free hot chocolate if I am too full for the shake). That is it. The only problem with the last 2 days is that I had to go out early in the am, so I didn't get my Protein Shake the past 2 days, so I know that I am low on protein right now.

Starting Monday, I will have a week or two of mushies, then I can start regular food. My surgeon must be quite cautious.

Mine surgery hasn't gone as easy as I have had a UTI since the surgery. We didn't find out about it until 6/24 when I went to the ER, so I have been trying different antibiotics to get it cleared. My problem was the first antibiotic I was supposed to take was drinking it 4 times a day...the next was 2x a day, but 2 tablespoons, i.e., way too much liquid...now 1 tsp 2x a day. Hopefully, once this antibiotic is finished, it will get easier for me.

Terrie

some typical meals for me are....

- cinnamon start Protein Cereal by Archer Farms (Target) with skim milk

- scrambled eggs (egg beaters) with cheese, onions, peppers, sometimes ham added

- Morningstar Farms sausage patty (vegetarian) with egg beaters and cheese on top of it

- tuna salad or chicken salad, about 2 ounces piled high on one Wheat Thins Flatbread Cracker

- 1 cracker, same type as above, spread with cream cheese, and put 1/2 slice of American cheese on it and then 1-2 ounces of turkey breast (this is so yum!)

- chili or Hormel White chicken Chili (yuuummmm) with some shredded 2% milk cheese

- pizza made on 1/2 a Flat-Out Fold-it - either with Marinara, turkey pepperoni and 2% Italian cheese blend.... or made with light alfredo, chicken breast, and the same cheese. I use a toaster oven to cook them. 22ish grams of Protein depending which pizza. I think the alfredo comes out at 26 grams.

- grilled shrimp skewers

- grilled beef skewers

- chicken breast tenders (not breaded or anything, just plain chicken but they are the tenders size instead of whole breast) made in the crock pot with some kind of campbells Soup. Stays very moist.

- Turkey meatballs - italian style - made in crock pot with mushroom soup

- Turkey meatballs with a little marinara and parmesan cheese on top of them

- light 2% string cheese and a slice of turkey breast

- light string cheese and a handful of nuts

- 3 tyson chicken nuggets with a tiny bit of light ranch dressing for dipping

- a Friday's slider burger (freezer section) with top half of bun removed

- shrimp cocktail!!! high protein and low everything else. About 6 shrimp, served chilled with a little cocktail sauce.

- 1/2 a MINI sized cinnamon bagel with either cream cheese or Peanut Butter on it

- 1/2 a banana, cut into slices, with Peanut Butter on each slice

This is all I can think of right now. I frequently post about my foods on my blog: Health & Happiness

At just over 11 months post-op, here is a typical day:

Breakfast:

1 cup of coffee with SF International Delight Hazelnut Creamer

1 Premier Nutrition Protein shake

Lunch:

3 oz chicken breast OR 2-3 oz lunch meat with hummus roll ups

Snack:

Quest Protein Bar

Dinner:

3 oz chicken or Pork or Steak (whatever Protein I am serving the family)

3-4 bites of carb (again whatever I made for the family)

a tiny salad or couple pieces of fruit

Snack:

Chobani yogurt w/ lowfat granola OR reduced fat wheat thins w/ hummus

Dessert:

3-4 dark chocolate Hershey's Bliss pieces

I am pretty much a creature of habit so I only really vary my diet at dinner and weekends. I am on the go during the week so the Protein Shake in the morning while driving into work, pack my little lunch and a Protein Bar for snack works great for me. I start "craving" food in the evenings. That's why I added the chobani later in the evening. It is filling and kind of kills all my cravings and is healthy. I could loose the last few pounds if I could give up the chocolate in the late evening :001_tt2:

I also drink about 12 cups of Water every day (6 x 16oz bottles). I drink it plain or with whatever Crystal light type substance I feel like. My current obsession (it changes from month to month) is Hawaiian Punch berry Lemonade. It comes in the little 5 calorie sleeves like Crystal Light but costs $1 per box at Walmart. It is much sweeter than CL, so I add it to a 24oz bottle of Water rather than 16oz bottle.

Edited by i1Linda