Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was afraid to eat too! Something that I tried that did great for me was fruit. Pears, apples, cantalope, all went down well (with plenty of chewing of course) and they were yummy good!

Also any kind of whole grain hot Cereal is good mixed with a little of whatever kind of milk you prefer, I like goat, organic soy, almond, hazelnut...then mix about a scoop of your favorite whey powder to up the Protein count. I liked cream of wheat at the beginning, now I buy oat bran and other types of warm cereals. I also use "Stevia in the Raw" to sweeten it up w/ a squirt of raw agave nectar or maple Syrup or a blended brand of both that is sold at Trader Joe's stores nationwide.

i hear ya hon... I was scared at first, but now I love having a little bit more of sloidness to eat. I am sooo lovin my egg salad right now. I found this tiny loaf of bread called coctail bread at Safeway that has teeny slices and is awesome. I toast it (one tiny slice) and use it with my egg/tuna salad. It makes me feel like I Am eating a real sandwich. :smile1:

Came here with this exact question!!! Started my Mushy phase on Friday and had 3 bites of Beans off my wife's plate Friday night from Mexican. That held - had shakes all before that. On Sat night, tried tuna fish with crackers. Made it from old recipe that included some spices and relish. had small bites with a wheat thin that I chewed well. Had about 6 small bites and 4 wheat thins total. Within an hour it came back up (all liquid so I know I chewed well). now afraid to eat and NO idea how to get 60 grams of Protein down when it seems mostly Soups and carbs are possible choices. Had 5 teaspoons of mashed potato this afternoon with unjury chicken Protein mixed in but obviously 5 teaspoons isnt near my protein needs.

So just to sure - I am reading I should have about 12 teaspoons of something solid (2 oz or 1/4 cup) but paperwork from nutritionist says 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food so worried that is too much. So my questions (doc had said I had a 32 boughie done on 6/30 )

How long does it take you to get the food down in the beginning?

What are your high protein items you can eat in the beginning?

And did anyone else have the habit of basically drinking a swallow with each bite previously and now that need has finally gone away? I have never seemed to have enough saliva when I eat and it is really worrying me now that I cant drink with food.

Came here with this exact question!!! Started my Mushy phase on Friday and had 3 bites of Beans off my wife's plate Friday night from Mexican. That held - had shakes all before that. On Sat night, tried tuna fish with crackers. Made it from old recipe that included some spices and relish. had small bites with a wheat thin that I chewed well. Had about 6 small bites and 4 wheat thins total. Within an hour it came back up (all liquid so I know I chewed well). now afraid to eat and NO idea how to get 60 grams of Protein down when it seems mostly Soups and carbs are possible choices. Had 5 teaspoons of mashed potato this afternoon with unjury chicken Protein mixed in but obviously 5 teaspoons isnt near my protein needs.

So just to sure - I am reading I should have about 12 teaspoons of something solid (2 oz or 1/4 cup) but paperwork from nutritionist says 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food so worried that is too much. So my questions (doc had said I had a 32 boughie done on 6/30 )

How long does it take you to get the food down in the beginning?

What are your high protein items you can eat in the beginning?

And did anyone else have the habit of basically drinking a swallow with each bite previously and now that need has finally gone away? I have never seemed to have enough saliva when I eat and it is really worrying me now that I cant drink with food.

Try the tuna without the crackers. I only ate mine with crackers before surgery, but I am making myself adapt because the crackers are just getting in the way of you getting enough protein right now. I do plan to add a small amount of crackers back in with my tuna in the regular food phase. I love eggs in my tuna so if you think you might like that it will add some protein to your meal. Also, the wheat thins might be too much for your stomack right now. I picked around the relish in my tuna just in case that was too much to digest. You've got to keep it more basic in the mushee phase.

I was lucky that I loved and still do love my Protein drinks. In the beginning, I tried 2 or 3 bites of something but still relied on Protein Drinks to get my Protein in.

It was a very gradual process for me to move from Protein Drinks to mushies, and then from mushies to solids. You have to go really slowly until you learn what you can tolerate and how much of it you can tolerate. In the beginning, 2-3 bites of anything and I felt like I was going to explode.

I also have my band doctor here who sells all sorts of protein foods. He has Tomato Soup that has 20 grams of protein. Also, I made my own and blended cottage cheese in it to up the protein. He also sells protein hot chocolate and protein hot cereals.

You can go online and buy these things too, by the way.