Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Joy of running again..

I have just taken my third run since I started back up running and I am feeling great to be back out there. I am taking it very slow doing 2 min jog followed by 1 min walk and repeating that pattern every 3 mins for 3 miles distance so technically I guess I run 2/3rds of the time and walk 1/3. The first time was painful and took a couple of days for the legs to be revived, second run came easier, and today it was starting to feel great again. As the weight drops and fitness builds I will add 30 sec to the run time with each increase. Will go 2:30 to 1 then 3 to 1 and so on during the building stage. Eventually I hope to get back to where I can complete a 5k non stop as my first major running goal.

The weight loss seems to have picked up a bit with the running--I am eating a bit more on run days just to make sure to have energy.

wow sleeve buddy...you ROCK!

I can't even imagine running..my boobs are too big....I'd hurt myself! LOL

Your loss is fabulous too!

I'm so proud of you!

Great Job!! I miss running so much..I use to do it and loved it..I really need to get back into it. Thank you for sharing....I found your note to be very encouraging

I know that current exercise theory says that long slow cardio like running isnt the most efficient way to burn fat and many "experts" say it makes your body burn muscle too.

BUT - I think you're doing a great thing. At this stage of the game, running ISNT long, slow cardio in the low fat burning zone of 65% of your max heart rate (a theory that's pretty much debunked anyway). Its HARD work. What you're doing now is interval training, which is a great way to TORCH your body fat.

I really really love running. I eventually worked to the point where I could easily run 10K and it wasnt super hard or super intense and I lost all my weight mainly running. I have to say, I could have more muscle but I really really dont believe I burned my lean muscle and got 'skinny fat' as a result. I think running shaped me the exact physique I was after, long, lean and feminine. I rejoiced my shrinking boobs too!

And I dont know what it is, but there is NOTHING like the achivement you feel when you can run a long distance. Its like moving meditation, you get into that trance like state, the rhythm is hypnotic, you can let your mind drift away, I come up with all my best ideas out running, lol. Perhaps the thing I value most about my own weight loss journey is the fact that I became a runner. It really is a defining part of me now. I hope you love it as much as I do.

congrats swift...i too am working my way up to running again...mostly because I just want to be able to do it again...it's been so long...i have had dreams about running...now i can go on the treadmill for little bits at a time..but in time it will come..congratulations to you though....Seaview

I have never been a runner, but hubby and I are planning to do the C25K thing after my next dr visit and I am cleared. Wish me luck, this is uncharted territory for me.

I just started running about 3 or 4 months ago. I droped weight very quickly when I started. It's very addicting. I do other workouts but nothing else seems to give me that "rush",hours later I still feel the endorphines.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches