Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to tell my PCP after the fact

I had my surgery on May 11th and haven't yet told my PCP about it. I have no chronic conditions and only see him one or two times a year for various tests, etc. He has also never seen me at my heaviest since I hide when I'm at the top of my range. I have an appointment on Monday to discuss sleep issues, and I am nervous about saying "by the way, I had 75% of my stomach removed in Mexico last May...) Any suggestions??

Thanks

No suggestions but I will be interested in hearing how it goes on Monday since I am in the same boat as you. Last my PCP heard was I was looking to get the band done locally. She has no idea I went to Mexico for the sleeve.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Frankie

VSG 3/22/10

Since you only see him 2 times a year my advise is just to say it and get it out there. He may ask questions for example "Why did you take such a drastic step". But it should all lead up to the discussion of your current issues. Since I work for PCP's I have found that most of them roll with the punches and alot of them are use to finding things out after the fact.

Maybe I am dense but I fail to see what the problem is. You had surgery you did not commit an armed robbery.

I suspect he/she will notice you have lost weight, I suspect he/she might inquire about that. Help me understand what you are concerned about. Are your worried he/she will say something negative about your weight loss, are you worried he/she will not approve?

The way I see it and the way I handled my post op life is, folks notice I have lost weight (135 lbs). Some folks ask how, some don't. If they ask I tell them the truth. I know my pcp has been very supportive if me.

I didn't have this issue with my PCP because he actually did my 6 month supervised diet documentation for insurance. I do remember that when I first told him I planned to get surgery and needed him to do the documentation, he seemed surprised briefly but was back to business in a second.

This past week, I had to go to a different branch of my PCP's practice and my WLS history was not in their file. So, when the nurse was updating my chart, she commented on the fact that I had lost weight since I was last there. That was my opening and I took it. You might get a minor reaction from the doc, but I doubt it will be a big deal, especially since you're going there about some other issue.

Me too...although I didn't go to Mexico for surgery. I haven't told him b/c I am worried about getting turned down for private insurance. But then again I should tell him. So I've procrastinated b/c I cannot decide.

Hi, I was sleeved on June 8 and will see my PCP in about 3 weeks. I am definitely going to tell him. He is a doctor and even if he has an opinion about it he still has to do his job and put it in his notes. Also, I want it documented in case ever I do ever have any issues and it may or may not be related to my sleeve or new eating patterns. I am a better safe than sorry kind of person.

I had my surgery on May 11th and haven't yet told my PCP about it. I have no chronic conditions and only see him one or two times a year for various tests, etc. He has also never seen me at my heaviest since I hide when I'm at the top of my range. I have an appointment on Monday to discuss sleep issues, and I am nervous about saying "by the way, I had 75% of my stomach removed in Mexico last May...) Any suggestions??

Thanks

I saw my PCP yesterday and he was great. I handed him the documentation I received from Dr. Aceves and he read it along with all of the pre-op test results. He said that, knowing me as he did, he assumed that I had done sufficient research. He ordered a bunch of blood work to see if my levels of Iron, Vitamin D, etc were good, so I'm very happy about that. He also pulled out the little stitch that was poking out from one of my incisions. It was a good conversation. Since I have no real medical problems, he really didn't know about my every two year gain and lose cycles. I tend to hide when am at peek weight because I have been ashamed of all of my dieting failures.

Anyway, it's all good.

I was really scared to tell my PCP... I think it was just because I was so scared about the surgery I didn't think I could handle any negativity. I also figured there would be some kind of bias or stereotyping regarding mexico.

finally I remembered that I'm a grown up and I choose who my doctor is. If I was unhappy with her response I could always get another doctor.

I told her the week before and she was great. she said she had several patients that had done the same thing and she felt it was a great option.

She's seen me for a few little things since.... some acid problems... checked my incisions etc... She'll do my 3 month labs.

At the end of the day we all need a doctor who is supportive and helpful... if yours isn't I would consider getting a new one.

I had surgery over a year ago and I just barely told my pcp. I told him I needed some lap work done. then I asked him if he had ever heard about the gastric sleeve. I told him I had it done a year ago in April and that was why I wanted the lab work done. He asked where I had it done, and I told him Dr.Aceves did it and he was a fabulous surgeon and that I had better care at the hospital there than I had at the hospital here when I had my gall bladder out.He was great about it and ordered all the labs I wanted plus a few more he thought I should have.

I was really scared to tell my PCP... I think it was just because I was so scared about the surgery I didn't think I could handle any negativity. I also figured there would be some kind of bias or stereotyping regarding Mexico.

finally I remembered that I'm a grown up and I choose who my doctor is. If I was unhappy with her response I could always get another doctor.

I told her the week before and she was great. she said she had several patients that had done the same thing and she felt it was a great option.

She's seen me for a few little things since.... some acid problems... checked my incisions etc... She'll do my 3 month labs.

At the end of the day we all need a doctor who is supportive and helpful... if yours isn't I would consider getting a new one.

okay... I feel kinda weird posting this but I cant stop thinking about it.

I feel like I was a little rude in this response. I was just trying to say that sometimes I forget that I'm in charge.... especially when it comes to doctors and authority figures. I wasn't trying to give any sort of snide comment to anyone. maybe it didn't come across like that, but when I re-read it I though it sounded kind of rude. Sorry guys.

thanks

stacey

No offense taken. I don't understand why I was so apprehensive. I am an adult, afterall, and it's my body. Right?

Anyway, he was great about it, and ordered all of my labs to make sure I'm getting appropriate nutrition.

okay... I feel kinda weird posting this but I cant stop thinking about it.

I feel like I was a little rude in this response. I was just trying to say that sometimes I forget that I'm in charge.... especially when it comes to doctors and authority figures. I wasn't trying to give any sort of snide comment to anyone. maybe it didn't come across like that, but when I re-read it I though it sounded kind of rude. Sorry guys.

thanks

stacey

I don't think it sounded rude Stacey.

My husband is a doc and I think a lot of people treat them with a sort of mystique. They're just detectives for the body and you're all right, you employ them! I have a ton of respect for my husband, he's a good doc by all accounts I've heard, but personally I don't like my PCM. She has a bee in her bonnet that I had the surgery at all. Once I'm back from vacation she's getting fired. Well, I'm just going to ask for a new PCM, I'll be nice.